Cheap Beer

Johnny Shearer

With the recession coming and the credit crunch its time to find to where to pick up beer (or any alcohol for that matter) and find where the bargains are.

I got 6 bottle pack of imported German Pils beer from Aldi. Was called Wernesgruner. Not bad at all for £2.79!

Tasted like the stuff I had out there in the summer. Good times.

Edited by Johnny Shearer

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Most German beers are OK, as they brew them to their Reinheitsgebot, or beer purity, laws. Which means no added crap and adjuncts, just malt, hops, yeast and water.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

You may not like the flavour of all the German beers, but that goes with English beer as well. At least you know you're not going to feel poisoned in the morning.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I paid £4.95 for a bottle of 500ml Budvar in a Gourmet Burger Kitchen in London at the weekend...

Robbing bastards...

Frankly, anyone who goes into a place with the words 'Gourmet' and 'Burger' in the title deserves all he gets IMO.:rolleyes:

Frankly, anyone who goes into a place with the words 'Gourmet' and 'Burger' in the title deserves all he gets IMO.:rolleyes:

In fairness GBK is quite a chain in London and a couple of other larger cities. Expensive though unless you have some vouchers.

I think one in Soton would do quite well but we wont be likely to get one for a long time.

Although Scud did get done proper on the beer. When its likely GBK probably buy by the case (9 or 12 bottles) wholesale for around £13-£15. I would have just sneaked some in!

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
In fairness GBK is quite a chain in London and a couple of other larger cities. Expensive though unless you have some vouchers.

I think one in Soton would do quite well but we wont be likely to get one for a long time.

Although Scud did get done proper on the beer. When its likely GBK probably buy by the case (9 or 12 bottles) wholesale for around £13-£15. I would have just sneaked some in!

More like 24 bottles for £16.99 + VAT!

We have an Irish Pub here (Fibber McGees) which on Sat & Sunday has beer at around 2.10 a pint (was 1.80 a couple of weeks back with the exchange rate) while the live footie is on (which here is from about 5pm - 10pm)

On Fridays we can get 2 pints and a full Irish breakfast (excellent scoff BTW) for 5 quid in a couple of places. Considering that an average bar is around 5/6 quid a pint then we love them

From the booze shops (and Duty Free) we get Tsing Tao at 12 quid a case (24 cans) which is the cheapest around (and also damned good beer)

Most our lagers are all export strength and in MOST places we can still have a smoke and a pint- none of that nasty stuff from UK (Except one place does Carling - yuk) but no real ale. Much rather be scoffing Draft Real Ale (Wadworth's 6X) back home though

One of my best mates out here won Best Beer at the Riyadh International Beer Festival about 12 years back. May seem unimportant to you guys until you understand the irony of a Beer Festival in Riydah, Saudi Arabia.....

Do those champagne brunch parties really happen over there in Dubai then? You read about them but it seems like a lot of hyperbole.

If its true though, I'm there!

Yep

Friday Bruch started at The Lodge which was the one and only nightclub for ex pats when I came here in '93

It was a family affair and for about 7 quid you could eat from 11 until 4. (Booze extra in those days) they had Full English, a choice of Roasts, Pasta & Thai food. A magician and cartoons for the kids. About 96 they switched at around 5pm to have Karaoke with Big Pete Martin (a Dubai DJ legend) which ended around 8pm and then played THE most outrageous being ****ed party music (including Benny Hill & Ernie and loads of Abba)

Over the years it all "morphed" and the pubs did the brunches (like the one I enjoy at Dubliners irish Pub - 2 Guinness & Full Irish for 6 quid. Then about 6 years ago a small irish bar called Waxy O'Connors started the all day buffet - breakfast untill 3pm then a Roast. It used to be 50 Dirhams for all you could eat and 5 drinks - that was 1.70 a pint and 2 full meals

The spiral grew, now you have every 3, 4 or 5 star hotel doing Brunch. ranging from family does upwards. I'm doing one Friday Aed 249 in one of the best Thai restaurants in twon from noon to 4pm. That's 40 quid but for top level cuisine and decent wine etc

The infamous Champagne brunches are at le Meridien Airport Hotel Yalumba - Aussie cuisine and Alpha - more known as a nightclub. About 80 quid and as much champagne as you can pour down your neck. It is NOT a pretty site....

Afterwards the masses move to a Brit pub called Double Decker or Waxy's. Around 7pm some sturdy souls get taxis about 20 miles out of town to Plastic at Al Jazeerah Hotel for a beach party - wall to wall blink and silicone in small bikinis (hate the place) or Rock Bottoms for karaoke. That has "probably the best Karaoke night in the world" in that 1) everyone in the place is monged 2) 80% of the singers are actually astonishingly GOOD 3) watching ****ed fat chicks on stage making up the other 20% or just waiting to be taken to the nearest beach.

Old timers don't like it - it is very much Gordon Gecko/Soddom & Gomwhatsit, but we also like the fact that the town is awash with ****ed chicks and a lot of them are really cute airhostesses.....

;)

So yes, a trip to Dubai without a tour guide on a Friday is like sex in a room with no one else about....

Timeout Dubai lists them all

Not in mid summer it won't.....

(oh and not if the exchange rate stays where it is!)

48C

Mind you the hotels & flights are cheap then....:smt048

Have a friend who has just moved out there with her husband and they've said I can come over at some point. So may take them up on their offer.

Although it seems like you said - IF your not sure where to go or know people that do, it seems you end up paying through the roof.

But that got me thinking as someone also mentioned that there is a fair amount of Indians/Asians working there in the construction fields and not on good wages but manage to get along just fine.

Would it be akin to the Poles/Europeans coming to the UK to work?

Just interested in how it all works there thats all!

Have a friend who has just moved out there with her husband and they've said I can come over at some point. So may take them up on their offer.

Although it seems like you said - IF your not sure where to go or know people that do, it seems you end up paying through the roof.

But that got me thinking as someone also mentioned that there is a fair amount of Indians/Asians working there in the construction fields and not on good wages but manage to get along just fine.

Would it be akin to the Poles/Europeans coming to the UK to work?

Just interested in how it all works there thats all!

been here 15 years if I knew how it all worked I could have retired to a nice beach in Thailand:-)

90% of the population are "guest workers" so we have no rights and little legislation, however remember History at School? No taxation without representation? Well we have no representation (Dubbya thinks that's bad) but we have no taxation (we think that's good)

But we have "fees" and insane rents.

But in summary no, it is not like the Poles. the construction and low paid workers would probably have had a better life and rights as Slaves in the old pre-civil war US.

This says it better than I ever could

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/08/middleeast.construction

Reading that - it is sobering.

I guess that's the flipside Dubai/Abu Dhabi that you don't hear so much of. Think I'll read more into as it is interesting stuff.

In reality it is simply the flip side of human nature. Be it child labour in Pakistan, Construction here or even ****le-pickers in the UK.

The exploitation of the labourers is not simply a Gulf issue, the whole chain starts with the poor sods being conned in their own countries by these labour suppliers. As much as asking why their rights here are not better cared for, more important is to ask why the Indian "mafia" are not cracked down on by their government.

The lesson is very simple. It is impossible to judge or understand what you see or hear. Scpetical analysis is always the best

Meanwhile this is about Cheap BEER. back on subject peeps

Don't knock it till you've tried it...

Their burgers are f::cking massive...

And rather tasty...i had the avocado and bacon burger...

Burgers how burgers should be...

http://www.gbkinfo.com/index.php

Edited by Scudamore

I see the supermarkets are offering some cracking deals on the booze front but they've shortened the offer periods.

Still I showed Morrisons over the weekend when I bought up several bottles of 1L Smirnoff and 1L whiskey at £11 a pop on repeated visits.

Also Tesco did the filtered Stellas (15 pack) for a fiver!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...