out of interest

OldNick

I mean better experience than that though. No doubt the experience we have can help lots when not injured and on form. John has gone, but I've always been ambivilent about him. We could do with an experienced striker up there too though. Our experience in the final third is lacking.

Svensson can still do a great job, but not often enough. If we had a few million to spend on a central defender the difference would be amazing.

I'd love to have Saga back most of all as despite poor goalscoring last year, his touch and workrate are far better than the other strikers we've lost. I do believe he'd start scoring again too, and help the younger players far more. Rasiak is ok, but fairly lazy. Still, wouldn't mind having him here. Despite disliking DMG, I think if played up front all season he will score a fair few though. I'd almost like to see him raise his value then be sold allowing us to bring on the loaned out strikers back.

I know what you mean but I was trying to say that we have 2 of the 3 players that we need. Problem is they are always injured. I would love to have svensson back on form but its not happened yet and euell in the middle has proved to be effective enough with what we are trying to do. up front im not sure saga would do any better than mcgoldrick TBH as that position takes a really good striker than can play this system well. So if we get players in it will mean sheding Svensson and euell which on the basis that they cant stay fit is not a bad thing but we need players of the same class or better that are going to stay fit. the luck we have had with injurys there is nothing saying that anyone coming in wont stay out of the treatment room.

JP has done a good job getting the players to pass and move pretty well and we are creating more chances than we have in a bloody long time, often creating many more chances than the opostion which is great to watch and looks very promising. I dont get however how him being a defender himself he cant get the team defending properly. it doesnt matter who is in the back 4 as the biggest problem with defending has been set peices. How many times have we cleared the ball out of our area to see it come straight back in again? I just expect him to have some pretty simple drills that he could pass on so they at least get the basics right when defending.

maybe they are working on it and maybe it will just take longer to see the outcome but so far it seems this is the 1 area that makes me warey on knowing if I would want him to stay or not. if it was more like american football I would have jan as the attacking coach and bring in george graham or someone as the defensive coach to make us a team that is really hard to beat but can break into attack and cause problems from all over the place.

What makes you think that they will go to the higher leagues? IMO if any team makes a reasonable offer for any of our players (and I'm sure we've all heard of Reading's interest for Surman and Fulham's for Lallana), then they will be sold, whether they want to go, or not.

I think the sell anyone that is wanted does have its limits. it may be a plan that is set out in a few levels.

Level 1

high earners/older players = take the 1st reasonable off to get them off the books

Level 2

youngsters that we plan to build the club round = only take abslutly silly offers for now while we can still reduce the wages by getting rid of the hig earner/older players.

Level 3

with Level 1 complete relax rule on level 2 a bit and accept reasonable offers for youngsters that have broken into the 1st team on a regular basis. (bye bye Lallana, mills, Surman)

level 4

take any offers for any player and replace them with players from the under 16's

Level 5

Administration

if at any point our money situation looks to be easing enough for the banks to leave the daily business to us then we may get a bit more stringent on who we let go or if we let go but the only way that will happen will be a decent run in a cup, play off positions without spending any cash or the supporters have a rush of blood to the head and sell every home game out.

If we were to get investment, I wouldn't keep Jan and the only players from the current lot who'd be in my first team would be Lallana, Holmes, Skacel, Surman, Davis and possibly MS. DMG has chipped in with a couple of goals recently, but I am still not totally convinced he is up to this level. I'd have him in the squad, but I'd bring Rasiak and Saga back into the side ahead of him any day of the week.

I think to stick with this experiment if we did have investment would be madness. We are going to be walking a tightrope over the drop zone all season with this team and it's not a prospect I am particularly looking forward to.

If we were to get investment, I wouldn't keep Jan and the only players from the current lot who'd be in my first team would be Lallana, Holmes, Skacel, Surman, Davis and possibly MS. DMG has chipped in with a couple of goals recently, but I am still not totally convinced he is up to this level. I'd have him in the squad, but I'd bring Rasiak and Saga back into the side ahead of him any day of the week.

I think to stick with this experiment if we did have investment would be madness. We are going to be walking a tightrope over the drop zone all season with this team and it's not a prospect I am particularly looking forward to.

I quite like the experiment, I just wish we looked like we could defend like a mid table side and the ride would so much more enjoyable.

Although Rasiak and Saga are miles better than DMG I cant see them doing much better in the role DMG is playing so for them to come in jan would need to play a different system. I think he has proved that that aint gona happen. lol

I quite like the experiment, I just wish we looked like we could defend like a mid table side and the ride would so much more enjoyable.

Although Rasiak and Saga are miles better than DMG I cant see them doing much better in the role DMG is playing so for them to come in jan would need to play a different system. I think he has proved that that aint gona happen. lol

I still am in the' DMG will become a very good player 'camp

I still am in the' DMG will become a very good player 'camp

I would like him too and I am hoping that his form has been down to confidence. But he is not the only player that is guilty of not hitting the target so not completly fair to singal him out. If he gets the form he had when he was in the reserves he will be another player for sale if a takeover doesnt materialise.

So am I

Last Season Davis was a clown if I remember now he is a star.

DMG should be given support

davis still a clown to some of us. personally think mcgoldrick's not all that, but it was a good goal v preston. but we haven't the time to watch him spurn so many other opportunities.

I still think we are weak in the fullback positions. Pearce in centre of defence looks like the rock solid, get stuck in, kind of defender we have been crying out for. Midfield I would leave as it is, as I think when Holmes gets back we will look more balanced. If Gasmi is as good as some portray him to be, then we could end up with one hell of a good midfield to choose from. Strikers are still short of what we require, now if we had Leroy lita things could be so different.

So 3 more good quality older players would be all we need.

As for Jan, I like him and the way he is trying to play the game, so would give him until January at the very least.

But come January transfer window time, we may see the rug pulled from underneath him.

Mick, your right about the fullbacks. Gareth Bale aside we've been short of decent fullbacks for years. My thoughts were Skacel left and Cork right. The midfield looks promising but I do think we need in central midfield a ball winner and, above all, leader.

Depends how much money those taking over had. If we were given 20 million up front, I'd actually want to bring in three young players who would attract premier league attention but who might be tempted by first team football AND the chance to earn promotion. Think Bale and Walcott when they just started to catch the eye, before the big guns stepped in and snapped them up. I think a CCC club would be able to turn their heads if players and clubs realised we could offer a decent wedge. I know a lot of people on here would be interested to know what this young side would have looked like if everything had happened 2 years earlier only with Bale, Walcott and Jones in the line-up. Might have been quite an interesting prospect.

I'd certainly be wary of bringing in more than one older journeymen types - not because I think they all turn out bad (because that's not the case) but because it would signal yet another occasion when the club changed horses mid-stream, which is what has screwed us over so much over the last few seasons.

Add 3 young exciting players.

Add 1 old, talented player straight out of the Prem for a year on a good wage.

Keep Jan on for a while longer.

Stir for 8 months and serve.

If an investor came in (hypothetically if it was me (lol)) then I'd need to have a team of Directors around me, unlike Rupe's, normal chairmen don't actually do everything, so you have to have a team - Andrew Cowen for example is good at the Operational side, but not necessarily the football - so either a him + one or an Andrew upgrade with ENGLISH Football experience. Don't need to have a Spud (failed) type of DoF but somebody that has football experience and Jan respects and can work with would be my first appointment.

Then I'd keep the 'develop our players from the bottom up in the same way" approach, and as an INVESTOR I would make sure even MORE resources went into the Academy and Scouting (after all it would be my money and I want a return on it, it won't be a charitable donation) so building new Walcott's would be critical to pay me my interest AND improve the team each season.

As a PLAN, being a CAREFUL selling club with better youngsters coming in each season and funds being used to improve the whole team is actually sound. But it MUST be an integrated plan to know HOW you use the money to strengthen the ENTIRE team.

PROVIDING you keep improving the quality of the youngsters and retain a core of experience, it works. The problem we've always had is that we expect to replace "Star Quality" with one player rather than have a player who is better than our previous overall level ready to come in.

On the playing side, if we had the money in January #1 priority would be to try and keep Cork and would try and keep then use one of our Rasiak/SJ/Saga's as a swap to get in an experienced forward that FITS into our style of play as even WITH money they would be expensive.

Oh and I would NEVER EVER EVER make even the slightest suggestion to the manager as to what he should be doing with the team, tactics and formation. We already know where that leads.

We would simply have an overall strategy that he is paid to achieve.

If an investor came in (hypothetically if it was me (lol)) then I'd need to have a team of Directors around me, unlike Rupe's, normal chairmen don't actually do everything, so you have to have a team - Andrew Cowen for example is good at the Operational side, but not necessarily the football - so either a him + one or an Andrew upgrade with ENGLISH Football experience. Don't need to have a Spud (failed) type of DoF but somebody that has football experience and Jan respects and can work with would be my first appointment.

Then I'd keep the 'develop our players from the bottom up in the same way" approach, and as an INVESTOR I would make sure even MORE resources went into the Academy and Scouting (after all it would be my money and I want a return on it, it won't be a charitable donation) so building new Walcott's would be critical to pay me my interest AND improve the team each season.

As a PLAN, being a CAREFUL selling club with better youngsters coming in each season and funds being used to improve the whole team is actually sound. But it MUST be an integrated plan to know HOW you use the money to strengthen the ENTIRE team.

PROVIDING you keep improving the quality of the youngsters and retain a core of experience, it works. The problem we've always had is that we expect to replace "Star Quality" with one player rather than have a player who is better than our previous overall level ready to come in.

On the playing side, if we had the money in January #1 priority would be to try and keep Cork and would try and keep then use one of our Rasiak/SJ/Saga's as a swap to get in an experienced forward that FITS into our style of play as even WITH money they would be expensive.

Oh and I would NEVER EVER EVER make even the slightest suggestion to the manager as to what he should be doing with the team, tactics and formation. We already know where that leads.

We would simply have an overall strategy that he is paid to achieve.

If you were to bring in a new manager would you not tell him how you want your team to play in the interview process? Say, I want a young team that plays passing exciting football with no hoof ball. big sam replys with "my teams play direct football with a big striker and no need for the midfeild". Interview over!

What I am saying is as a chairman/owner you would have an influence on how the team plays as you would be choosing who you put in charge and if they dont think in the same way as you then your business is not going to be doing what you want it too.

Day to day running comunication should be kept to how you can help each other but sticking to each owns dutys.

Mick, your right about the fullbacks. Gareth Bale aside we've been short of decent fullbacks for years. My thoughts were Skacel left and Cork right. The midfield looks promising but I do think we need in central midfield a ball winner and, above all, leader.

Kenna and Bridge come to mind. I`m sure people can think of a few others.

If you were to bring in a new manager would you not tell him how you want your team to play in the interview process? Say, I want a young team that plays passing exciting football with no hoof ball. big sam replys with "my teams play direct football with a big striker and no need for the midfeild". Interview over!

What I am saying is as a chairman/owner you would have an influence on how the team plays as you would be choosing who you put in charge and if they dont think in the same way as you then your business is not going to be doing what you want it too.

Day to day running comunication should be kept to how you can help each other but sticking to each owns dutys.

No you should not influence how the team plays per se. You have a set standard established within the club and so at the interview process you look for somebody who is aware of the inbuilt "system" and offers ideas to improve on it. One of the things that has helped to kill us and many clubs over the years is always chopping and changing styles, personnel and players. So would for example Arsenal even interview a hoofball manager?

Now, taking my "the boss hat" off for a moment, we like the basics of what we see, but would like plan b somewhere and tactical shifts during a game. So I would look for a coach (not a "Gaffer") who has ideas in that area.

But to say even at an interview that you would "lay out the expectations of the way the team would play" gets really close to our oft heard cry "Rupert's managing the team" so which way do we want it?

No you should not influence how the team plays per se. You have a set standard established within the club and so at the interview process you look for somebody who is aware of the inbuilt "system" and offers ideas to improve on it. One of the things that has helped to kill us and many clubs over the years is always chopping and changing styles, personnel and players. So would for example Arsenal even interview a hoofball manager?

Now, taking my "the boss hat" off for a moment, we like the basics of what we see, but would like plan b somewhere and tactical shifts during a game. So I would look for a coach (not a "Gaffer") who has ideas in that area.

But to say even at an interview that you would "lay out the expectations of the way the team would play" gets really close to our oft heard cry "Rupert's managing the team" so which way do we want it?

But you said it yourself, if Arsenal were to be looking for a new manager they would be looking for one that take the club forward in the same vien as it has been run in the last so many years. If someone new bought Arsenal they might have a different viewpoint and want the traditional direct english manager and it would be all change. So the board does and should have some envolvment with deciding what brand of football we should be playing but that envolvment should end when the manager has been decided. From then on the board should just manage expectations and make decissions on performance of the coaching staff. The idea that Rupes takes on more than that is no more than an idea and cant be proved but its definatly not something that should be done.

if I were in charge and picking a manager I would provide a mandate of what brand of football I wish to have and look for a manager that can best fill that role and advance it. Review his progress and support him as much as possible but leave the team and tactics to him.