iPad 3

pap

We're getting close to spring, meaning that a new iPad is on the horizon. I have not yet succumbed to an iPad myself (although Ms pap has one). I'm a bit of a tech snob and didn't like the resolution on the screen, especially as I've got an iPhone 4 that looks the biz. However, it looks like they're about to sort that.

Rumours:-

• Launch date is likely to be on or after March 7th. Apple have invited a load of retailers to an iPad launch event on that date.
  • Screen is going to have 2048×1536 resolution (that's better than HD, luddites)
  • 9.7inches on the diagonal
  • Around $70-$90 more expensive than iPad 2
  • Quad-core processor
  • Full list here

Think this might be the one I take the plunge on. Anyone else looking forward to this?

hi pap! im following you round today!

if ive got iphones do i need ipads? i like my iphone the only thing is when i'm playing tiger woods golf on the toilet and the fone rings i drop it and the screen smashes on the floor! It gets all spider cracks and costs me £50 for a new screen every time it happens, which is 3 times so far. Possibly design fault???

does this happen with ipads? I had a look on the link but they dont mention it???

On the face of it, no - the iPad is not a phone, so will not ring. However, if you are hooked up to your wifi, the pad may make noises depending on what apps you've installed, whether you have allowed them to be noisy and/or the volume of your iPad.

You could be about to (ahem) drop one off and receive a Words with Friends notification. CaptInterruption wants to play! Depending on how skittish you are, this may cause you to drop your iPad on the floor and suffer another broken screen.

You might also install Skype, which will let your iPad pretend to be a phone. Same dilemma really.

The other thing I should mention is that the more Apple products you own, the more likely you are to have a cock sprout out of your head.

Have an iPad 2. The 3 is going to have to be something special for me to upgrade. Higher res wont be enough and better cpu means nothing when all my apps already run flawlessly.

Im going to be in san fransisco a month after launch, so the opportunity to buy it cheaper in the states could be a draw...

I have an iPad 1 and absolutely love it, use it so much more than I ever thought I would and am seriously thinking about upgrading to the 3

They do that. I bought one for the missus thinking that she'd use it occasionally, when in actual fact it has become a replacement for her laptop for 90% of the stuff she does.

Me and the wife have an Ipad 2 each....my son has one as well. Our PC is hardly used any more. If we could find a way to store photos and could get a word processing package on the Ipad, I think we would ditch the PC..we have a wireless printer

The Ipad 3 will have to be pretty special to get either of us to consider an upgrade.

I think this is Apple's achilles heel. Their product is so good, why would you upgrade....

On a slightly tangential note, I've been contemplating buying an Airport Express unit for streaming iTunes from the PC to the hifi in the lounge.

Until last night that is.

Was mucking around with various configs and apps last night and ended up plugging my iPhone into the hifi, 'home shared' with the PC's iTunes library and with my iPhone controlled remotely from my wife's iPad, courtesy of the Tango Remote Control app.

Hey presto...iTunes music streaming without splashing out £99 on an Apple Airport Express gizmo.

Me and the wife have an Ipad 2 each....my son has one as well. Our PC is hardly used any more. If we could find a way to store photos and could get a word processing package on the Ipad, I think we would ditch the PC..we have a wireless printer

The Ipad 3 will have to be pretty special to get either of us to consider an upgrade.

I think this is Apple's achilles heel. Their product is so good, why would you upgrade....

You're right. Personally, I'm on a 2 year upgrade cycle with most stuff. There doesn't seem to be enough new stuff on a yearly release to justify the expense.

I think that there will be a lot of nerds like myself who've held back because of the screen that may be thinking along similar lines.

Have an iPad 2. The 3 is going to have to be something special for me to upgrade. Higher res wont be enough and better cpu means nothing when all my apps already run flawlessly.

Im going to be in san fransisco a month after launch, so the opportunity to buy it cheaper in the states could be a draw...

What sort of saving are we talking here? I'm off to the States in June so may take advantage of this.

The iPad is great except that apple does not let you instal flash player nor can you watch emailed video unless it is QuickTime format. Hence the reason I still have to log on to my laptop. Still thinking about upgrading to the new iPad but you check out a couple of other models eg Samsung.

• 2 weeks later...

iWork suite is already available, and Microsoft are now planning on launching an Office for iPad in the not too distant future.