UEFA Cup

Scudamore

UEFA Cup is awesome. Get to see lots of new, random teams. Much more entertaining than the same old, same old that is the Champions League.

Fair point that...i don't think the group stages does it any favours though...all seems geared to giving the bigger teams a chance to win it...just imagine if they did that with the FA Cup...

Just watched a half decent game Citeeh v Twente in which Citeeh made hard work as usual in a game they should have won easily.

What a cracking second half. Robinho looks a class act now he's settled in. Felt a bit sorry for Steve McClaren though as Twente really played well.

Fair point that...i don't think the group stages does it any favours though...all seems geared to giving the bigger teams a chance to win it...just imagine if they did that with the FA Cup...

Agreed, I maintain that cup tournaments should always be on a knockout basis, 2 legged in some instances.

League formats are crap, totally ruins the whole concept. Teams have already done the 'league' thing in qualifying IMHO. In fact, I really do think it's time for a full blown Euro league.

The only reason for the group stages in both the Champions (and second, third and fourth placed teams) League and the UEFA Cup is money. Simple as.

If UEFA were at all interested in making the competition competitive, they'd scrap the group stages and have both cups as straight two-legged knockout competitions just like in the old days.

The only reason for the group stages in both the Champions (and second, third and fourth placed teams) League and the UEFA Cup is money. Simple as.

If UEFA were at all interested in making the competition competitive, they'd scrap the group stages and have both cups as straight two-legged knockout competitions just like in the old days.

Too true, 2 legs was when you simply HAD to go, there are not enough 'I was there' moments nowadays. Fans just pick and choose, that's why teams like Pompey have to blackmail their fans into buying tickets for the Heerenveen game. If it had been a proper tourny even they could have sold out for that one, with the prospect of a 'big' team in the next round.

There are so many (literally) pointless matches now.

Two legs good, four legs bad.

Oh i appreciate that...just don't think it makes for an interesting competition...