If you were going to buy a new car

Turkish

That you would do c30k a year in. would you go for an older, cheaper car with a low mileage, say something like an old shape BMW 3 series which you can get pick up with about £5k with 50k about an 04 plate or go for a much newer model and pay a fair bit more, like an 08-10 A4, 3 or 5 series?

Back in 1997, I bought a 5 yr old 5 series for £5k, it had 90k on the clock. Two years later I sold it for £3k with 180k on the clock. 90k for £2k represented excellent value for money.

What did it cost you in terms of running costs, repairs etc?

The older one. 30k/year is significant mileage that is going to put a big dent in the resale value, so you're better off with the car that has done most of its depreciation already. The German prestige marques tend to depreciate heavily for 5 years, then flatten out.

Also don't necessarily go for a very low mileage car. An '04 with 50k has done 8k a year, at that rate it could quite easily be a stop-start school runner/shopping trolley that never sees the motorway, for a diesel of that sort of age that is pretty bad news for the DPF and means that when you suddenly step it up to 30k/year it's potentially not going to last as well as a motor already used to doing decent miles.

And 50k is the no-man's land where you will find yourself running into the first set of costly bills like replacement timing belts very soon. You'd be better off with something that's done 80-90k, regularly serviced fleet miles with the first round of replacements already done.

What did it cost you in terms of running costs, repairs etc?

1 service and a couple of ignition coils, so about £800.

Having said that, older BMW's were bullet proof (this goes for Mercs too) back then. My next one lasted me 8 years and I did 160k miles (I bought that at 3 years old with 20k on the clock).

My current 5 is a piece of cr@p. Too many electronics. Too much to go wrong. Spent more in the last three years on this car (over 60k miles) than the other two over the previous 12 years (over 340k miles). It seems reliability has been sacrificed for gadgetry.

Agree with Stu0x.

Very good tokyo!

Thanks for the advice chaps, so if I brought a 3/5 series with 80-100k then I should be able to drive it for 2 years and c60k miles without too many problems? Just a bit nervous about buying a car with that sort of mileage on it.

Thanks for the advice chaps, so if I brought a 3/5 series with 80-100k then I should be able to drive it for 2 years and c60k miles without too many problems? Just a bit nervous about buying a car with that sort of mileage on it.

Most car engines these days will go to 200K with no major problem unless you are driving and F1 car.

Strongly recommend against mid-2000s 3-series, several mates have had big bills with their 330d's. And don't drive through puddles...

5 Series seem to be better.

For what its worth I was in the same position as you 4 years ago, bought a high mile Golf MK4 diesel (120k on the clock) on the basis that (a) it was well depreciated and (b) probably a good 'un based on the fact it had got that far. 70k miles later and its still going strong and has only lost about 20% of the purchase value. Likely to keep it until it goes pop now.

Check and double-check the service history, find out when big services are due (cambelt and clutch are the big ££££ jobs) and make sure you follow the service schedule (use a good independent you trust, not a main dealer - unless they can give you a good fixed-price service package like Honda do for example).

Clutches should be good for 150k unless its been abused, cambelts often need doing every 70k. On a big car you're looking at not much change from a grand for clutch service done properly, and £300 for a cambelt. If its been regularly serviced nothing else should go wrong - you'd be unlucky to have a major engine issue. Probably electrics are the thing to worry on most on modern cars - always expensive to fault-find and fix, and no option for non-manufacturer parts.

Well that was prescient - 2 BMW 3-series stranded in the flood at Mountbatten Way this evening. Barely got the Golf through, recommend you avoid heading out that way unless someone has found a bloody big pump. Or you have a Defender with a snorkel like the guy who created Niagra falls heading right through the middle of it :)

That you would do c30k a year in. would you go for an older, cheaper car with a low mileage, say something like an old shape BMW 3 series which you can get pick up with about £5k with 50k about an 04 plate or go for a much newer model and pay a fair bit more, like an 08-10 A4, 3 or 5 series?

Personally I wouldn't get a BMW. You're better off getting something that is even more reliable and I'd go for something like a Honda Accord in all honesty. Decent family car, comfy, good economy, lowish bills, will last you years providing you look after it!

Or a Skoda Octavia?

Personally I wouldn't get a BMW. You're better off getting something that is even more reliable and I'd go for something like a Honda Accord in all honesty. Decent family car, comfy, good economy, lowish bills, will last you years providing you look after it!

Or a Skoda Octavia?

This. There's a reason why almost all taxis are Octavias now. Get a 1.9tdi lump and you'll do 200k easily.

Or a Skoda Octavia?

When the Germans invaded France, three panzer divisions were equipped with Skoda tanks which they got from the occupation of the Sudetenland.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never and would never buy a new car. Be brave enough to buy a pristine car (30-40 thousand mies) of your choice privately with one condition, pay for a competent check before buying, AA etc (I don't need to, but if you are not technically up on cars it is a must) I have, in the past bought some brilliant condition cars for my relatives and others, and they have been delighted with them.

Difficult- I'd buy from a dealer at the top end of their age- if a car doesn't move quickly then there are bargains to be had as I believe that BMW dealers can't keep a used car for more than 90 days then its off to the trade.

My 57 ex demo 3 series has been a great buy £750 in servicing in 4.5 years. Run flats are expensive especially if you have fancy low profile tyres.

For a workhorse I think any of the good manufacturers are good buys-just don't bother with fancy expensive tyres/wheels; and remember comfort and quietness, if you're in the car a lot.

I think that the BMW 3touring is the best car on the roads-does all you could ask, unless you need a huge load bay.

These days all speed gets you is fines and disqualifications, so you don't need a fancy spec.

My daughters Golf GTI diesel is ten years old, 150K and still super to rive-only signs of age -rust on front wheelarches.

Just be patient and remember there are plenty of good cars around at good prices.

• 3 weeks later...