Windows 8

JPTCount

downloaded and installed the rtm version earlier in the week to have a looksie and my views are mixed. first hour or so I hated it, needs a bit of relearning, even had to google how to get onto the control panel and find the shut down were. but having played around on it id say I can see myself upgrading to this in the future on my laptop, but not till there are more metro apps available and stable releases, and think I'll stick to 7 on my desktop.

it's a nice step forward, uses less CPU n ram than 7, the start page actually makes alot of sense and I really like the navigation. only big downside is it's gonna take some ppl an age to get acquainted, businesses are gonna have fun retraining :-)

thoughts anyone?

Agree on most points. I won't really use the metro interface - just the old fashioned desktop mode. Biggest issue for me is not having a start button, although there are 3rd party add ons to re-create it. I have it running on my sons laptop and a pc for downloading and storing TV shows etc.

I know my company will not move to Win8 for a very long time - we don't yet have everyone off XP and onto Win7. They are also trying to get us to try out Linux but that is no good for me as I need use Adobe apps which don't run on Linux.

I expect to see business laptops come with touch screens as default over the next few years so it will not be as much of an issue for mobile workers to move to Windows 8. Desktop users are another matter - it will cost an awful lot of money to swap to touch interface setups. Yes you can run in old fashioned Desktop mode, but it is not intuitive to do so.

Was going to upgrade the lads laptop and try it out. Only concern is whether I can install other apps such as Steam etc? Or is it locked down to MS products? *confused*

windows 7 steam runs fine on the rtm version

and so do a load of other w7 programs

where's 95 and 2000? and was 96 even a full release?

u used 8 yet btw?

I'm still with XP at the moment, (I had Vista on my laptop when I bought it but that didn't stay on long!) There are no more service packs for that so I will be updating but I'd like to see if 8 is going to be a real improvement on 7 before doing so.

Been using it for the last couple of days and pretty much agree with what OP said. When it started up I hated it because of being so used to Windows 7. But the more you use it and figure out how to find where everything is then it's actually pretty good. It's basically Windows 7 with an extra display screen. So far have not had any problems but in truth In all of the Windows operating systems I used the only one I had issues with was Vista. Windows 7 was flawless. And this just seems like an update for it if anything. For the £14.99 it cost me so far very happy.

Also I saw Tech Radar gave it 4.5/5 and they are normally very strict. So if people have concerns then I say give it a read as may answer some questions you have http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1093002/review

Try again. ;)

try wot...?

I'm still with XP at the moment, (I had Vista on my laptop when I bought it but that didn't stay on long!) There are no more service packs for that so I will be updating but I'd like to see if 8 is going to be a real improvement on 7 before doing so.

how do u play games that only support dx11?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a new touchscreen netbook with it installed and now I'm used to it, I quite like it - but that was more down to getting used to the touchscreen than anything else. If I didn't have the touchscreen, I think it would a pain in the ar$e to use.

Having been a Windows user for many years it's slightly disconcerting to have apps open all the time in the background if you use them... I just want to close them (which you can do if you want, even though they're designed to remain on in the background) to reduce mem usage.

All-in-all I like it now, but it's not something i would've actively upgraded to if i still had 7 - i just happened to buy a new pc with it on.