...Bolton 136mil in debt thread?

Frank's cousin

Given accusations that our motivation for the PTS is simply based on our rivalry and schardenfreude with our neighbours plight (is if), its perhaps appropriate to have a thread where we also comment on the situation at Bolton - OK so slightly different in that 122 mil of their 136 mil debt is now a long term 'loan' from their owner, rather than owed to players, banks, child maimers, gun runners, local businessses and charities etc.... but its clear that Eddie Davies has funded their stint in the prem, - although you would have thought that with taht support they might at least to have tried to play some decent football, but then Fat Sam was in charge for most of it...

In theory, the FFP rules should in future prevent this sort of debt accumulation, which will require, If I understand it correctly, this to be written off as equity? - what are your thoughts on how this obvious distortion of a clubs 'status' based on owners funding losses, (as Markus did for us to 33 mil)? Can there ever be a more level playing field where how you chose to spend the money has a far greater impact on performance and success than how much you spend?

Another club with fans that have musical instruments in trouble. It's only a matter of time for Shef Wed again and the MK dons.

You've hit the nail on the head there. This is why the England football team aren't the force they used to be these days, musical instruments. Football isn't about playing music, it needs to get back to its roots, it should be about sitting quietly waiting for an opportunity to furiously wave foam hands about and half time baguettes & a cup of mint tea.

I only used to go to see the police dog display team at half time. Some guy in a fat suit running away from an angry Alsatian, followed by some fat midfielder running away from an angry Terry Hurlock in the 2nd half, that's what football was all about. Now it is all drums, trumpets, song 2, James Brown and mega debt. Ah, the good old days.

I liked watching the St Ettes at half time about ten years ago, but now I've crossed the age line where that'd seem a bit wrong now.

Also (as I know talking about teenage girls doing back flips is a bit off topic) getting back to Bolton, I'm looking forward to when we hit the 250,000 posts mark on this thread. I think this has the potential to surpass the PTS given how much everybody has such strong feelings about Bolton. Once we get a few day dreaming Bolton fans on here telling us who they're about to sign and that they don't really owe much to anybody, it'll really be up & running here! Good work Frank's cousin.

Have they stolen from local charities? Failed to pay their tax? Had a winding-up order? Generally taken the ****? No? Nothing to discuss then - or we'd have about 20 threads going for various clubs.

True, but the key premise of teh PTS is that they consistently fail to live within tehir means to fund greater competitiveness... we could argue that Boltons 136mil was spent for the same reasons... how else would they have survived for so long in the prem with a 20k gate?

True' date=' but the key premise of teh PTS is that they consistently fail to live within tehir means to fund greater competitiveness... we could argue that Boltons 136mil was spent for the same reasons... how else would they have survived for so long in the prem with a 20k gate?[/quote']

Their are plenty of clubs living beyond their means.....even Saints recently.....as long as their are rich benefactors behind the overspending and they are not ripping off local charities and businesses then so be it.

from the telegraph.....

Of the other clubs, 11 made losses, totalling £458m. Manchester City, in the third year since Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi's ruling family bought the club and began to pour in money to acquire a team capable of winning the Premier League, lost £197m, the greatest financial loss in the history of football.

Chelsea lost the next highest amount, £68m, bankrolled by their owner, the Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, who loaned £94m to the club during 2010‑11. Liverpool, documenting the first eight months of ownership by John Henry's Fenway Sports Group, lost £49m.

IMO...the key premise of the PTS is the continued blind belief that they are entitled to be competitive and continue to spend recklessly AFTER their rich benefactor pulled the plug. That is way different to Bolton, Chelsea, Man City etc.

Their are plenty of clubs living beyond their means.....even Saints recently.....as long as their are rich benefactors behind the overspending and they are not ripping off local charities and businesses then so be it.

from the telegraph.....

IMO...the key premise of the PTS is the continued blind belief that they are entitled to be competitive and continue to spend recklessly AFTER their rich benefactor pulled the plug. That is way different to Bolton, Chelsea, Man City etc.

All completely true... apoint that the blue lot down teh road fail to recognise is simply that borrowing is not the evil, its the failure to repay it.... however the point stands that it cannnot be healthy that so many clubs are now relying on wealthy owners to write off such huge debts - which increase year on year. Not only do we see the risks attached to such a strategy, but also the issue of what makes a fair competition is one that is too ofetn overlooked, because most of the richest owners are at historically bigger clubs... yet go back 25 years or more and diffrence in income and costs between large and small was relatvely close.... now they are off the scale. Is this really what we wnat for our domestic game?

I liked watching the St Ettes at half time about ten years ago, but now I've crossed the age line where that'd seem a bit wrong now.

Also (as I know talking about teenage girls doing back flips is a bit off topic) getting back to Bolton, I'm looking forward to when we hit the 250,000 posts mark on this thread. I think this has the potential to surpass the PTS given how much everybody has such strong feelings about Bolton. Once we get a few day dreaming Bolton fans on here telling us who they're about to sign and that they don't really owe much to anybody, it'll really be up & running here! Good work Frank's cousin.

Go and get a job at the BBC. You'll be fine then.