"Pay as you Throw" - your thoughts?

Minty

Item just on BBC News regarding charging residents based on the amount of waste they throw away possibly being introduced in England. Examples of similar schemes around the world were shown, virtually all of which had proven to be effective in reducing waste and increasing recycling, despite being controversial initially.

What do you think?

All very good and well in principle.

I'd be concerned though that society's scum would just dump their junk and rubbish elsewhere. I bet fly tipping would double in some areas.

Like most things, it works if you lived in a good communitiy or those that live in a reasonably affluent area.

I agree with it totally but I can't see it working in some of the flea pit communities in Birmingham or many other council estate areas across the country. I find that people tend to help and support each other in the more affluent places and would make thing's like this work, in the poor areas it can be a case of every man/person/family for themselves.

I'd be concerned though that society's scum would just dump their junk and rubbish elsewhere. I bet fly tipping would double in some areas.

Like most things, it works if you lived in a good communitiy or those that live in a reasonably affluent area.

I agree with it totally but I can't see it working in some of the flea pit communities in Birmingham or many other council estate areas across the country. I find that people tend to help and support each other in the more affluent places and would make thing's like this work, in the poor areas it can be a case of every man/person/family for themselves.

Surely going out fly tipping takes far more effort than simply recycling though?

+1.

Can you imagine the additional costs this will create for businesses to try and counteract people dumping their rubbish in their bins? Costs which will of course be passed on to the consumer....

Surely going out fly tipping takes far more effort than simply recycling though?

Not really. Just wang it in the back of a van and find somewhere dark, throw it all out and avoid putting it in your bin or recycle bin. I doubt the type that flytip give a monkeys about recycling their rubbish and if they have to pay for the amount they throw away then they'll just do it somewhere else instead of the bin/s.

I'm not sure you have much contact with the real dregs of society.

Logic is not an option.

+1.

Can you imagine the additional costs this will create for businesses to try and counteract people dumping their rubbish in their bins? Costs which will of course be passed on to the consumer....

Yes I can. I've lived in some rough places in my time and fly-tipping was par course on some estates. The usual tipping areas would be small business estates that had little or no overnight security.

They'd just take the van/pick up one night a week/fortnight and dump the lot. Some used to exchange the best fly-tipping spots in the local area over a pint.

Sad, but true.

Guest Hacienda

We recycle everything we can using the newfangled contraption at our local Tesco.

Get mega points in exchange which we in turn, exchange for air miles.

We've even got two bins in the kitchen, one for recyclables and one nor non. We even have a composter!

You need to meet more people from the lower reaches of society.

That sort of logic is non existent.

I'll go out and make friends with some tonight.

Does anyone here actually bother with the recycling bin? I'd sooner ram in it the black bin than wash beans tins out in the sink. Recycling is just too much of a pain in the arse for my liking.

I do. It's not really a lot of effort. Where I live (Dorset), they're actually very good. We've all been given brown bins for food waste, a bin for paper, and bags for plastic and glass as well as a general bin for waste which can't be recycled. As much as I think the council are pretty useless with most things, they've actually made a real effort when it comes to recycling.

As for washing out your baked bean tins, is that really difficult? Just hold it under a cold tap for 2 seconds and rinse it out. You're not expected to scrub it clean with fairy liquid! Putting it in my green bag as opposed to my black bag takes no effort what so ever. If it's really that difficult for you, how about you rearrange your rubbish bags so that your recycling one is closer to you than your usual black bin liner. It's crazy, but it just might work...

I'm not sure you have much contact with the real dregs of society.

Logic is not an option.

So I've been told...

Having a Conservative council here, we only have one wheelie bin and two recycling boxes. However, our council will introduce a waste food bin in 18 months time which will be collected weekly, whereas the other bins will be collected fortnightly.

Not a problem for us, but I can imagine some people will be confused.

We recycle as much as we can and only have a couple of bags of non-recyclable waste in our wheelie bin.

If we have to pay to throw, I'm not entirely confident that people won't chuck their trash in my bin :( But I'm not against it in principle.

Laughing all the way to the bank then when the council charge even more to take the rubbish away - don't forget we ALREADY pay as we throw anyway, especially with the one wheelie bin allowance - then they just dump all the recycling into the land fill as well.

It amazes me that people will readily accept being FORCED to recycle goods, but are unhappy to accept an ID card due to a fear of erosion of civil liberties. What happened to the freedom to choose whether or not to recycle??

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

We have two jumbo wheelie bins for waste and two recycling wheelie bins. We also recycle all our food waste organically through our two Labradors.

It amazes me that people will readily accept being FORCED to recycle goods, but are unhappy to accept an ID card due to a fear of erosion of civil liberties. What happened to the freedom to choose whether or not to recycle??

They're not the same thing at all. Not even close.

Does anyone here actually bother with the recycling bin? I'd sooner ram in it the black bin than wash beans tins out in the sink. Recycling is just too much of a pain in the arse for my liking.

That's the most moronic thing I've read for some time.

Laughing all the way to the bank then when the council charge even more to take the rubbish away - don't forget we ALREADY pay as we throw anyway, especially with the one wheelie bin allowance - then they just dump all the recycling into the land fill as well.

Give most people a "choice" whether they recycle or not, most people (Stanley etc) won't. This needs to be enforced for environmental reasons.

How can you compare that to the ID card scheme?

Aren't those boxes crap BTF... I'm forever hunting through the hedgerows or the adjacent field for the lid on windy days.

We have to put a house brick on the lids when we put them out for collection. However, the refuse collectors just fling them all over the road (boxes and lids) and a few of our boxes have 'disappeared' over the past couple of years. I guess they make good toy boxes or similar.

I wish they'd replace them with wheelie bins - much easier to take out for collection. I just don't know how elderly or infirm people manage with the boxes.

But you're not the same council as me are you Ponty?

Recyclabes DO NOT get dumped into landfill. Every council has a target % of recyclables and if, like me, you had seen the systems and processes used with regard to waste, you'd appreciate just what an efficient and effective operation it is. I've had to audit a number of waste collection contracts and, believe you me, they're impressive.

We have to put a house brick on the lids when we put them out for collection. However, the refuse collectors just fling them all over the road (boxes and lids) and a few of our boxes have 'disappeared' over the past couple of years. I guess they make good toy boxes or similar.

I wish they'd replace them with wheelie bins - much easier to take out for collection. I just don't know how elderly or infirm people manage with the boxes.

But you're not the same council as me are you Ponty?

West Oxfordshire District Council.

Just pure laziness, it takes a couple of seconds to wash out a tin. If you got to ram it in a bin what's difficult about ramming it into a recycling bin? FWIW I have a Green wheelie bin for garden waste, a Grey wheelie bin for non recyclable waste, two red boxes for newspapers and tins and three bags for glass, cardboard and plastic. I also have a compost bin in the garden which in turn helps provide me with home grown vegetables etc.

Just pure laziness, it takes a couple of seconds to wash out a tin. If you got to ram it in a bin what's difficult about ramming it into a recycling bin? FWIW I have a Green wheelie bin for garden waste, a Grey wheelie bin for non recyclable waste, two red boxes for newspapers and tins and three bags for glass, cardboard and plastic. I also have a compost bin in the garden which in turn helps provide me with home grown vegetables etc.

I tried composting but it's a waste of time. I get a trailer full of manure every other year.

Living in a conservative run council we have 3 wheelie bins.;)

Also in a Tory council I have four!

Grey - landfill

Black - glass, tins, plastic bottles

Green - garden

Blue - paper & cardboard.

It's confusing at times though when Thursday comes to remember which bin s to drag out. That said, I'm in favour of it.

to those who think this is a good idea..

will there be a small reduction in council tax then??????????

we all know the answer!!!!

Why would there be a reduction? The council has to pay the contractors more money to collect different things and then separate them further at the depots. It's more about your conscience and doing your bit IMO.

Why would there be a reduction? The council has to pay the contractors more money to collect different things and then separate them further at the depots. It's more about your conscience and doing your bit IMO.

oh i see...not only will i get fisted royally for more petrol...i will have to pay for an ID card, energy bills are going through the roof, i will have to pay the council MORE than i do to take my rubbish away...which, might I add, the do less freqently..

i see, this is bound to work in rip off britain..

cant wait

Give most people a "choice" whether they recycle or not, most people (Stanley etc) won't. This needs to be enforced for environmental reasons.

How can you compare that to the ID card scheme?

Give most people a choice as to whether or not they want an ID card, and most people (Ponty etc) won't. Using the same principle as yours, ID cards need to be enforced for security reasons.

Surely they can compare?

Having a Conservative council here, we only have one wheelie bin and two recycling boxes. However, our council will introduce a waste food bin in 18 months time which will be collected weekly, whereas the other bins will be collected fortnightly.

Not a problem for us, but I can imagine some people will be confused.

We recycle as much as we can and only have a couple of bags of non-recyclable waste in our wheelie bin.

If we have to pay to throw, I'm not entirely confident that people won't chuck their trash in my bin :( But I'm not against it in principle.

The Brown 'kitchen bins' are being introduced in eastleigh and we have had one for a month now. Even though we used to wrap our waste food, wash our tins, wrap our peelings etc it would still make the bin smell, and the bin was only emptied fortnightly. Now that bin has no smell and all the food goes in a bin which has a handle which seals the lid tight. That bin is emptied weekly.

I do wonder how things will smell in the heat of summer though.

Also I have now noticed how much wrapping from the shops accumulates in our other bin. It truly is wasteful. Plastic bottles, on a cardboard stand and then shrink wrapped in a fairly high density plastic. What a waste of resources!

Also I have now noticed how much wrapping from the shops accumulates in our other bin. It truly is wasteful. Plastic bottles, on a cardboard stand and then shrink wrapped in a fairly high density plastic. What a waste of resources!

I often wish I was brave enough to rip off all that excess packaging and leave it at the check-out!

I do sometimes wonder how frail / elderly people manage with that shrink-wrap stuff.

I'm all for it in principle, obviously the costings need to be worked out. However, I'd be happy to royally shaft people who throw away loads!

Tory Council here, although still using the Lib Dem implemented waste policy, so one box for most recycling, but seperate for cardboard and garden waste. Collected on 3 different days.

Both main parties had same day collections and kitchen waste recycling for implementation in 2008 in their 2007 election manifestio. Surprise, surprise the Tories still haven't implented same day collection, and kitchen waste is delayed until 2010 at the earliest! Bath and North East Somerset was the top local authority for recycling, but it is now slipping down the list.

oh i see...not only will i get fisted royally for more petrol...i will have to pay for an ID card, energy bills are going through the roof, i will have to pay the council MORE than i do to take my rubbish away...which, might I add, the do less freqently..

i see, this is bound to work in rip off britain..

cant wait

I'm equally happy about paying **** loads of tax to keep the nuclear submarine fleet vaguely operational. Swings and roundabouts TDD.

I'm all for it in principle, obviously the costings need to be worked out. However, I'd be happy to royally shaft people who throw away loads!

Tory Council here, although still using the Lib Dem implemented waste policy, so one box for most recycling, but seperate for cardboard and garden waste. Collected on 3 different days.

Both main parties had same day collections and kitchen waste recycling for implementation in 2008 in their 2007 election manifestio. Surprise, surprise the Tories still haven't implented same day collection, and kitchen waste is delayed until 2010 at the earliest! Bath and North East Somerset was the top local authority for recycling, but it is now slipping down the list.

I'm glad we have proper different wheelie bins now where I live rather than those minging boxes. They were also crap because they were full after about two days. An inverted waste of space that paid lip service to the principle of recycling.