Maggie Thatcher has died

Saint-Armstrong

Lordy. How much of your life did you spend working that out? And why?

60 seconds tops....

Weekly ticket = £86.50

Miles covered per day = c.100

Days travelled = 5

£86.50 / 100 / 5 = 0.173

Even ignorant conservatives can do simple maths :)

And that's before I get to use the same ticket at weekends for leisure trips... Bargain

Edited by trousers

Lordy. How much of your life did you spend working that out? And why?

I presume he is an annual season ticket holder, not too sure what that proves or does not, if it makes him happy so be it, he is self absorbed after all.

He will be a hoot this Friday with Majoree and Brian...................

Meanwhile, the price for my journey on the publicly owned London Underground system is 1.52 pence per mile.... over 8x higher than the South West Trains ticket on a per mile comparison (both weekly tickets)... #selfabsorbed

Edited by trousers

There is pressure from inside and outside of football to hold a minute silence before all games this weekend! Would be a disaster imo.

The Reading vs Liverpool game is just f**king asking for trouble.

Our utility bills generated £1.6Bn in profit for the French state, trousers.

Sleep tight!

I would have loved to see what kind of losses our 'British Leyland' energy equivalent that we managed could come up with.

In the 70's and early 80's we made very poor, loss making products. Why should the government pay to keep these going when they could at least make a profit out of privatising. Personally I'm glad I don't drive an Austin Allegro.

Meanwhile, the price for my journey on the publicly owned London Underground system is 1.52 pence per mile.... over 8x higher than the South West Trains ticket on a per mile comparison (both weekly tickets)... #selfabsorbed

No trousers, London Transport not the London Underground is a PPP. You can not compare the tube to the railway and they are different transport systems.

Carry on.

I would have loved to see what kind of losses our 'British Leyland' energy equivalent that we managed could come up with.

In the 70's and early 80's we made very poor, loss making products. Why should the government pay to keep these going when they could at least make a profit out of privatising. Personally I'm glad I don't drive an Austin Allegro.

What do Germany do, lets just copy them, hold on we dont own anything.

60 seconds tops....

Weekly ticket = £86.50

Miles covered per day = c.100

Days travelled = 5

£86.50 / 100 / 5 = 0.173

Even ignorant conservatives can do simple maths :)

And that's before I get to use the same ticket at weekends for leisure trips... Bargain

By the way trousers, it's 17.3p per mile, not 0.173p per mile. But I assume you knew that :D

DPS, with the greatest of respect, you need to start learning to pick and choose when supporting right wing dogma.

You are picking the wrong horse on the nationalisation of utilities. A load of other stuff too, but let's leave that for now.

What business in its right mind would sell a guaranteed money maker?

That's what utility companies are. Completely captive audience. The outlay is huge, but it's something that an entity the size of a country can manage.

Does make me laugh. For all the stick the French get, they've played their cards brilliantly on energy. We could have done too, but we failed. Now they have our cards too :)

Edited by pap

Well no we don't, because we proved that our manufacturing (apart from in high tech industries) is utter, utter pants.

We live in a better, more connected and advanced country due to privatisation. Fact.

This really does sound like a comment made by a defeatist loser with no faith in his countrymen, rather than the can-do attitude of an aspirational patriot.

By the way trousers, it's 17.3p per mile, not 0.173p per mile. But I assume you knew that :D

Yeah...deliberate mistake.....just seeing if the lefties were awake.... ;)

Units were never my strong point, despite being one... (or am I thinking of another 4 letter word containing the letters U, N and T...?)

Well no we don't, because we proved that our manufacturing (apart from in high tech industries) is utter, utter pants.

We live in a better, more connected and advanced country due to privatisation. Fact.

Saying fact after a crap wrong statement does not make it so, whats more connected? The internet? Most Countries do and in fact have far far faster connection than we do, thats progression nothing to do with our investment (or lack of it).

Our manufacturing never used to be crap it became crap as it was allowed to.

Christ thats desperation if I have ever read a post.

DPS, with the greatest and respect, you need to start learning to pick and choose when supporting right wing dogma.

You are picking the wrong horse on the nationalisation of utilities. A load of other stuff too, but let's leave that for now.

What business in its right mind would sell a guaranteed money maker?

That's what utility companies are. Completely captive audience. The outlay is huge, but it's something that an entity the size of a country can manage.

Does make me laugh. For all the stick the French get, they've played their cards brilliantly on energy. We could have done too, but we failed. Now they have our cards too :)

Is everyone sitting down...?

I tend to agree with Pap on the nationalisation of energy supply... I think that was one step too far...

There. I said it.

All we need to do now is to vote in a Labour government to get it reversed.... doh...

This really does sound like a comment made by a defeatist loser with no faith in his countrymen, rather than the can-do attitude of an aspirational patriot.

Of course I don't, because our countrymen are made up of terrorist apologists and underclass scum. Our manufacturing industry had the chance to be good, but whilst the Germans were making this:

002626.2-lg.jpg

And the Japanese were making this:

modelpicture.php?id=8620

We were making this:

SNN1727AA-682_532563a.jpg

Name me one good product that we made and manufactured during the 70's that was succesfully marketed to the world the way the Germans and Japanese did? By the way, I'm not sure about this, but in the 70's why did we not pursue investment in Nuclear power? Was it because we couldn't come up with a nuclear reactor that didn't leak (ie Sellafield/Windscale whatever it's called)? I don't know.

Saying fact after a crap wrong statement does not make it so, whats more connected? The internet? Most Countries do and in fact have far far faster connection than we do, thats progression nothing to do with our investment (or lack of it).

Our manufacturing never used to be crap it became crap as it was allowed to.

Christ thats desperation if I have ever read a post.

I think the privatisation of the water companies was a mistake, but I don't believe we would have done a better job of energy. Nothing I have ever seen built by this country (bar Concorde) would give me the faith in our industries to make a success of it.

I think the privatisation of the water companies was a mistake, but I don't believe we would have done a better job of energy. Nothing I have ever seen built by this country (bar Concorde) would give me the faith in our industries to make a success of it.

There are too many great things to mention but you are correct the tories are bastards..............

What like yourself, who is happy to see innocent fellow countryman die at the hands of the IRA? Very patriotic that is.

Blimey, DPS - you adding "lying" to your list of debating skills?

My opinions on NI are on this thread (and others) for all to see. I'm not going to bore them through repetition for your benefit.

As for my patriotism; it's there - but focused in the exact opposite way to yours. My patriotism rests with the country and its people, not the establishment that runs it. I'm a huge fan of fair play, politeness and our liberal tradition.

You seem to be a fan of the "UK state". They'll be the ones that send our boys off to commit murder in our name.

I prefer my focus.

Regarding the manufacture of motor vehicles, doesn't the current booming state of Land Rover Jaguar teach us anything? Same leftie workers, but with good investment, management, and a sound business model. Honda/Nissan came here and succeeded. Not because the unions were destroyed, but because they treated their workers as human beings. I'm afraid Thatcher targeted the workforce when she should have been encouraging more sound ways of moving car manufacturing forward. In general, she was an asset stripper, that's all. Same for the utilities. The French and the Germans have now got us by the balls when it comes to energy. Maggie handed it to them as a delicacy on a plate.

Blimey, DPS - you adding "lying" to your list of debating skills?

My opinions on NI are on this thread (and others) for all to see. I'm not going to bore them through repetition for your benefit.

As for my patriotism; it's there - but focused in the exact opposite way to yours. My patriotism rests with the country and its people, not the establishment that runs it. I'm a huge fan of fair play, politeness and our liberal tradition.

You seem to be a fan of the "UK state". They'll be the ones that send our boys off to commit murder in our name.

I prefer my focus.

And that's up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan of either the UK state or the UK people. There is so much wrong with the country, mistakes made through both Conservative and Labour governments that I believe it's spiralling out of control. At least when we were poor in the 50's, we had a sense of community. Now we have a sense of loathing, a penchant for blaming everyone but themselves, an underclass who are better off than those on the minimum wage. We have sold off the family silver due to years of incompetence and waste.

Yet as far as I can see there is no plausible way out of this, left or right.

I'm not a fan of the UK state. I'm not a fan of hardly any facets of the UK nowadays. However, I am a fan of the people less.

Yes I know this appears to be your graph you made for Ralph and Deidree you want to show them on Friday over mushroom vol-au-vants but what exactly does that prove other than British manufacturing declined from the 70's?
Do those graphs not show that manufacturing was declining in Britain anyway and that under Thatcher that trend didn't change much either way to what was happening before?

Regarding the manufacture of motor vehicles, doesn't the current booming state of Land Rover Jaguar teach us anything? Same leftie workers, but with good investment, management, and a sound business model. Honda/Nissan came here and succeeded. Not because the unions were destroyed, but because they treated their workers as human beings. I'm afraid Thatcher targeted the workforce when she should have been encouraging more sound ways of moving car manufacturing forward. In general, she was an asset stripper, that's all. Same for the utilities. The French and the Germans have now got us by the balls when it comes to energy. Maggie handed it to them as a delicacy on a plate.

But we're talking pre Thatcher here. The products we made then were ****. Don't forget that Rover carried on well into the '00s, and still it was very poor.

And that's up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan of either the UK state or the UK people. There is so much wrong with the country, mistakes made through both Conservative and Labour governments that I believe it's spiralling out of control. At least when we were poor in the 50's, we had a sense of community. Now we have a sense of loathing, a penchant for blaming everyone but themselves, an underclass who are better off than those on the minimum wage. We have sold off the family silver due to years of incompetence and waste.

Yet as far as I can see there is no plausible way out of this, left or right.

I'm not a fan of the UK state. I'm not a fan of hardly any facets of the UK nowadays. However, I am a fan of the people less.

This is brilliant stuff. Uber-blamer DPS moans about blame culture!

There are all kinds of ways out; they're just not up for discussion. If we were able to rebuild Britain after the end of the Second World War, I fail to see why our present challenge - which, when you boil it down - is essentially never making any money again until we make major changes, is so difficult to overcome.

FFS, if the boys who got back in '45 knew what a load of defeatist bastards it'd produce 70 years later - they might not have bothered.

"There's no point lads. Despite us saving Europe, in about 70 years we're going to face an artificial financial crisis that we'll never recover from".

:)

This is brilliant stuff. Uber-blamer DPS moans about blame culture!

There are all kinds of ways out; they're just not up for discussion. If we were able to rebuild Britain after the end of the Second World War, I fail to see why our present challenge - which, when you boil it down - is essentially never making any money again until we make major changes, is so difficult to overcome.

FFS, if the boys who got back in '45 knew what a load of defeatist bastards it'd produce 70 years later - they might not have bothered.

"There's no point lads. Despite us saving Europe, in about 70 years we're going to face an artificial financial crisis that we'll never recover from".

:)

How am I an uber blamer?

And it's not the financial crisis we won't recover from, it's the people and culture that we won't recover from.

How am I an uber blamer?

And it's not the financial crisis we won't recover from, it's the people and culture that we won't recover from.

Aren't you blaming your compatriots and your country for stuff RIGHT NOW? :)

I disagree. From the get-go, central banks were a huge con.

Recently, we've decided that the financial system was more important than democracy in places like Greece and Spain.

Where do you think this money we're told we have to pay back is going?

Aren't you blaming your compatriots and your country for stuff RIGHT NOW? :)

I disagree. From the get-go, central banks were a huge con.

Recently, we've decided that the financial system was more important than democracy in places like Greece and Spain.

Where do you think this money we're told we have to pay back is going?

No, I'm not blaming. I'm stating that there is a culture that has ingrained itself into the country now over years of incompetence.

You can sit there and be pedantic over what I have said, but if you honestly think there is nothing wrong with the culture of people in this country then you are more deluded than I first thought.

The point stands, society in this country is screwed. Yeah, we can probably get out of the financial mess, but we can't get rid of the generation of scoungers that currently defines the country.

I'm no fan of Russell Brand but I thought this was an eloquent and thought-provoking piece by him

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher?CMP=twt_gu&CMP=NECNETTXT766

Excellent piece, btf. I liked this bit in particular:-

I hope I'm not being reductive but it seems Thatcher's time in power was solely spent diminishing the resources of those who had least for the advancement of those who had most. I know from my own indulgence in selfish behaviour that it's much easier to get what you want if you remove from consideration the effect your actions will have on others.

Is that what made her so formidable, her ability to ignore the suffering of others? Given the nature of her legacy "survival of the fittest" – a phrase that Darwin himself only used twice in On the Origin of Species, compared to hundreds of references to altruism, love and cooperation, it isn't surprising that there are parties tonight in Liverpool, Glasgow and Brixton – from where are they to have learned compassion and forgiveness?

I'm no fan of Russell Brand but I thought this was an eloquent and thought-provoking piece by him

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher?CMP=twt_gu&CMP=NECNETTXT766

"This demonstrates, I suppose, that if you opposed Thatcher's ideas it was likely because of their lack of compassion, which is really just a word for love. If love is something you cherish, it is hard to glean much joy from death, even in one's enemies."

No, I'm not blaming. I'm stating that there is a culture that has ingrained itself into the country now over years of incompetence.

You can sit there and be pedantic over what I have said, but if you honestly think there is nothing wrong with the culture of people in this country then you are more deluded than I first thought.

The point stands, society in this country is screwed. Yeah, we can probably get out of the financial mess, but we can't get rid of the generation of scoungers that currently defines the country.

I hate the scroungers and bums but they pale into insignificance compared to the money taken out of system by bankers and governments ripping of the country or propping up a broken system.

I hate the scroungers and bums but they pale into insignificance compared to the money taken out of system by bankers and governments ripping of the country or propping up a broken system.

Personally, I prefer the bankers and governments to the scum. The bankers and governments don't kill their kids to try to get a bigger council house.

Where's this list of good British products from the 70's that we sold to the World? Just a couple of examples would be good.

Rolls Royce plane engines were pretty good and widely exported. But apart from that I really am struggling. Corby trouser press?

Edited by Dibden Purlieu Saint