Polishing chrome

Colinjb

Just going through the motions of helping my other half tidy up her newly inherited car. A 1968 MGB GT.

The chrome bumpers are a little on the tatty side, structurally sound but with a few corrosion spots. Any tips on getting them gleaming without the need for getting them re-chromed?

I'm out at the moment but will happily upload a picture when I get home. Drove her around the block today... lovely machine. Just can tell she hasn't been looked after recently. The seats in particular are ****ed.

Had 2 MGBs in my younger days. First a ragtop and later a GT.

Paintwork was always a problem. Rust would spread underneath the paint and, when you went to repair what looked like a small blemish, it turned out to be a much bigger area.

Even in their day they weren't the quickest of cars but great fun and the old 1800cc motor would pull a house down and was pretty reliable.

The MG Owners Club was a great source of parts. They manufacture body panels and virtually everything else.

Another vote for autosol. Peek is very good too.

Before you think of spending money on shiny bits look at getting it rust protected. Waxoyl is a must if you own a classic car.

More importantly, get it running right. I recommend a trip to SRE in Amesbury. A session with Neil on the rollers will squeeze every ounce out of power out of it, and maximize economy, for £60-100.

Another vote for autosol. Peek is very good too.

Before you think of spending money on shiny bits look at getting it rust protected. Waxoyl is a must if you own a classic car.

More importantly, get it running right. I recommend a trip to SRE in Amesbury. A session with Neil on the rollers will squeeze every ounce out of power out of it, and maximize economy, for £60-100.

It's my other half's money that will be going onto it so i'll suggest it. Bit of a trip from Coventry to get there mind! ;)

It's my other half's money that will be going onto it so i'll suggest it. Bit of a trip from Coventry to get there mind! ;)

Didn't realise you were up there. Even more choice of tuners in the midlands.

I got a couple polishing wheels for a drill and 2 lots of grade 1 and 2 polishing paste on the net for £15.just used the 1st one on my very poor looking bike engine cases and they have come up looking like new. Saves a lot of elbow grease and works very well