Saints Cyclists On Strava.

View From The Top

I know that there are a few keen MAMIL's amongst us. I was wondering as to whether we all use Strava and whether we could form a Saints Web cycling club using Strava?

Bit geeky I know but I'm always interested in what others are doing milage/climbing/time wise around the country.

Gone for it VFTT. http://app.strava.com/clubs/45350

I only got into the road biking this year to try and get some miles in my legs to help improve my mountain biking. I've ended up doing more road biking this year though as it's a bit more convenient. Now it's cold and wet though, I hope to be doing more of the offroad stuff, I don't use Strava for that though.

I only got into the road biking this year to try and get some miles in my legs to help improve my mountain biking. I've ended up doing more road biking this year though as it's a bit more convenient. Now it's cold and wet though, I hope to be doing more of the offroad stuff, I don't use Strava for that though.

I've added you Neil. BTW quite a few predominantly MTBs record their off road stuff on Strava as well as road rides and turbo sessions. Here's to good riding for 2014! Happy New Year.

Winner, what's my max HR?

Age 52 (I'm a bit overweight on BMI, I'm currently 13-7 but would like to be sub 13-0) so in simple terms my age 220-52, max HR 168.

Not sure I ever do a 6 minute max?

I'm 'Comfortable' (that's a relative term!) at 175 outdoors in hot weather, when I see 175 I ease off to high 160's.

I spin twice a week, I work hard (but I'm usually tired / it's after work etc), the 'big' blocks aren't that long (2-3 mins) and if I'm working hard I can hit 168-170, my max indoors is about 171/172.

Went to Mallorca at HT with a competitive mate (I'm ten years older than him), we'd been riding 2 hours on very mixed terrain, we're on a big climb (400m vertical), he's in front but I grind back to him, I'm 175+ but comfortable, if I don't beat him now I never will, I push on for a couple of minutes , I'm pumping 183/185 (!), no apparent problems and I ease back to 175. Job done, rinsed him, no after affects etc,

So, my age is 168, when I'm spinning for an hour I can hit 169/170 max, I have a history of being comfortable at 175/177, I recently pulled up 183/185 with no ill effects. all very confusing,

Have joined Strava, where are the 'groups'?

Winner, what's my max HR?

Age 52 (I'm a bit overweight on BMI, I'm currently 13-7 but would like to be sub 13-0) so in simple terms my age 220-52, max HR 168.

Not sure I ever do a 6 minute max?

I'm 'Comfortable' (that's a relative term!) at 175 outdoors in hot weather, when I see 175 I ease off to high 160's.

I spin twice a week, I work hard (but I'm usually tired / it's after work etc), the 'big' blocks aren't that long (2-3 mins) and if I'm working hard I can hit 168-170, my max indoors is about 171/172.

Went to Mallorca at HT with a competitive mate (I'm ten years older than him), we'd been riding 2 hours on very mixed terrain, we're on a big climb (400m vertical), he's in front but I grind back to him, I'm 175+ but comfortable, if I don't beat him now I never will, I push on for a couple of minutes , I'm pumping 183/185 (!), no apparent problems and I ease back to 175. Job done, rinsed him, no after affects etc,

So, my age is 168, when I'm spinning for an hour I can hit 169/170 max, I have a history of being comfortable at 175/177, I recently pulled up 183/185 with no ill effects. all very confusing,

Have joined Strava, where are the 'groups'?

Happy New Year Sandwich. Here is the link http://app.strava.com/clubs/45350. As soon as I am notified by Strava I will add you. With regards to the max HR conundrum I am trying to do some digging around for my own benefit as I find the whole thing confusing and contradictory too. Will respond later.

Is this of any use ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/heart-rate-monitor-training-for-cyclists-28838/

I did see one cycling forum where a similar discussion of HR effectively stated that you worked out your maximum by monitoring your heart rate and exercising until you either got dizzy or threw up - your safe maximum would be just below the rate you had reached. :scared:

Cheers Winner, I'm in. Loving Strava, not used it before.

Just what I needed, an app that ranks me 540+ out of 600 - ! Best get on Premium and start filtering by age and weight to find my proper rivals!

Kudos to VFT with his 100k rides!

Welcome to Strava Sandwich. Most of us will never be on leaderboards or let alone near KOMs, but seeing progress is the motivation. I am so far down on some segments it makes you want to just give up, but a few seconds here and there and you are on the way up. The challenge is to ride for the sake of riding without taking Strava into consideration whilst out on the road. Just a slightly off topic question but thinking of signing up for FT London Cycle Sportive. Starts at Dulwich Park and ends at Herne Hill (Iconic) it's your side of London, easy to get or by car or not? Seems to be in the same 'black hole' as Dellhurst Park.

Welcome to Strava Sandwich. Most of us will never be on leaderboards or let alone near KOMs, but seeing progress is the motivation. I am so far down on some segments it makes you want to just give up, but a few seconds here and there and you are on the way up. The challenge is to ride for the sake of riding without taking Strava into consideration whilst out on the road. Just a slightly off topic question but thinking of signing up for FT London Cycle Sportive. Starts at Dulwich Park and ends at Herne Hill (Iconic) it's your side of London, easy to get or by car or not? Seems to be in the same 'black hole' as Dellhurst Park.

Looks OK, on a Sunday morning you could come in on M4/A4 and then across town.

On a Saturday I would take the M25 round to the M23 J and then head up to Croydon on the A23, it's further in distance but would be quicker in time.