Jay Rodriguez- BBC Article

Dig Dig

So if a journalist asks a Saints player if the club could reach the Champions League, they should answer "no" or refuse to answer in case some of our fans strangely get annoyed by it.

I doubt it was Rodriguez who bought the subject up...

So if a journalist asks a Saints player if the club could reach the Champions League, they should answer "no" or refuse to answer in case some of our fans strangely get annoyed by it.

I doubt it was Rodriguez who bought the subject up...

Doesn't read as something you would write mate, sounds like it was written by a wiseman : )

More hocus pocus Champions League/keeping all our best players talk from Saints, this time from Jay.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25589843

Barry will enjoy this and something for certain people to get irritated by.

I really don't understand why people get irritated by it. I mean whats wrong with "The way we set out and the way we want to be, everyone wants that. I don't see why we shouldn't dare to dream."

Oh yes, coz the vocal few on here tell us all we are mad to dream. I don't think we will be in champions league in the foreseeable but its a nice dream.

Anyway it's just a hack article because Saints are playing his old club tomorrow. You can pick plenty of holes in it, like where he says " My parents will support me because they always do but they are Burnley supporters" Jay won't even be playing tomorrow unless he comes on as a later sub so the problem won't even arise.

why anyone would get irritated by this i cannot fathom. All i can say is we must have some miserable fans that can not see what is being built at Southampton. We have the most exciting team we have had in years. They are a young side that will only improve and there is no reason why these lads can not achieve what the club has set out as its goal. Self belief cannot be measured. I have enjoyed every minute of this season, even the blip we have gone through recently because the football has still been good and you can see the self belief the lads have. We are not the finished article and no one at the club has said we are......we are a work in progress and we have continued to improve!

I really don't understand why people get irritated by it. I mean whats wrong with "The way we set out and the way we want to be, everyone wants that. I don't see why we shouldn't dare to dream."

Oh yes, coz the vocal few on here tell us all we are mad to dream. I don't think we will be in champions league in the foreseeable but its a nice dream.

Call me old fashioned but it's something to do with doing our talking on the pitch.

Its a dream, a dream, nothing more and you are accepting that. A dream sown by a shaman.

Call me old fashioned but it's something to do with doing our talking on the pitch.

But if our players are dreaming of CL then that means they are even more dissapointed when we lose. Surely thats a good thing. I really don't understand anyone having an issue with ambition. Realistic or not.

But if our players are dreaming of CL then that means they are even more dissapointed when we lose. Surely thats a good thing. I really don't understand anyone having an issue with ambition. Realistic or not.

Plenty of clubs have talked about the champions league and going to the next level. Few have actually achieved it. It's fine to have these ambitions and laudable that we are not happy just to make up the numbers any more, its the relentless nature of talking ourselves up that is starting to grate. There has been this champions league talk since promotion and whilst we have progressed massively we are still miles away from being anywhere near good enough. I wish people would just get on with jobs and stop telling everyone what we are going to do. Do our talking on the pitch and let others talk about how good we are.

Plenty of clubs have talked about the champions league and going to the next level. Few have actually achieved it. It's fine to have these ambitions and laudable that we are not happy just to make up the numbers any more, its the relentless nature of talking ourselves up that is starting to grate. There has been this champions league talk since promotion and whilst we have progressed massively we are still miles away from being anywhere near good enough. I wish people would just get on with jobs and stop telling everyone what we are going to do. Do our talking on the pitch and let others talk about how good we are.

Exactly and the people on here to pipe down and let the results and football to the writing, we need to keep all the how great our midfield is and European thread on sticky simply to keep the happier ones in check.

So, he should have said this, yes?

''Is Europe the next target?''

''Nah, we'll just carry on bobbling around in mid-table, getting dragged into occasional relegation battles and lose in the cups. No ambition here, nah nothing''

Every club has ambition, you think we have a monopoly, ambition fills a void of the lack of success in previous generations of the club, every players has spoken the same and its very boring. Just because its a bit loftier it does not make it anymore grand, the opposite even.

Do something and then talk about it. Southampton FC the Audley Harrison of football.

Every club has ambition, you think we have a monopoly, ambition fills a void of the lack of success in previous generations of the club, every players has spoken the same and its very boring. Just because its a bit loftier it does not make it anymore grand, the opposite even.

Do something and then talk about it. Southampton FC the Audley Harrison of football.

Yeah, we've done absolutely nothing in the last 5 years. Absolutely no success what so ever, what a joke of a club.

They should ignore the reporters question, because as we all know it works like that.

Yeah, we've done absolutely nothing in the last 5 years. Absolutely no success what so ever, what a joke of a club.

They should ignore the reporters question, because as we all know it works like that.

Honesty works. Do you think he truly believes we can compete with United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool?

Of course not, then why say it? Its ballacks.

Honesty works. Do you think he truly believes we can compete with United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool?

Of course not, then why say it? Its ballacks.

I fail to see the issue, either way to be honest. So what? Let him think that, ambition is great to have. If it doesn't happen, Ok then. What's the deal? Why do you always have this odd, odd meltdown over this? If you're worried about what other clubs and fans think, then I doubt they give us a second thought.

It's really strange.

I fail to see the issue, either way to be honest. So what? Let him think that, ambition is great to have. If it doesn't happen, Ok then. What's the deal? Why do you always have this odd, odd meltdown over this? If you're worried about what other clubs and fans think, then I doubt they give us a second thought.

It's really strange.

Why are you even engaging is a debate with him?

If our players believe that we can get CL football in the next few years and as a result stay with us rather than leaving for a bigger team, then I'm all for it and they can say what they want. I don't really care if what they say doesn't end up tying to the actual results on the pitch.