PS4 or XBOX One

Batman

I took a look at this yesterday, Col. It is interesting stuff. I'm wondering what proportion of the bill of materials is down to poor decision making.

The original expectation for this machine was that it would become the conduit through which the rest of your living room operates. Fair play to MS; I think they've done a fine job of that in their home territory, but the 50Hz frame judder thing demonstrates a bit of international myopia. I'm not sure that issue is ever fixable, btw - it's just as well so many UK XBone owners "don't notice it".

Anyway, the machine was designed to be on 24/7, which may have influenced some of the design decisions. The power brick is a good example. It's a source of heat that you'd like to keep away from a machine that is permanently on. The cost added by Kinect seems a bit wasted too, particularly as many are reporting that although the voice recognition is cool, its poor on registering movement.

The funny thing about Kinect is that it was only ever a reaction to the Wii's motion controller, which was seen as a fad within the first year of release. How many millions of Wiis are lurking in a cupboard somewhere, unloved and collecting dust?

I'm left with the impression that MS made the wrong machine. They overestimated what many would find important about a next-generation console and put too much time and energy into white elephants like Kinect and HDMI pass-through. This is in stark contrast to their other console launches.

I'll admit; I was one of these people who didn't think MS could pull a console off. Hats off to them for the original and 360. They backed the right horse at the right time. The infrastructure wasn't there for networked gaming when the Dreamcast launched, but it was there by the time MS launched XBox Live and I think people take for granted what a massive achievement that was at the time. The 360 was first to market and despite the problems some had, was an excellent machine. Both machines were the most "powerful" of their peers, whether it was down to the raw metal (XBOX vs PS2) or the ease at which performance could be eked from the hardware (360 vs PS3).

It's simply not the case with the XBox One. Shame, really. For at least one generation, they were golden.

My wife and kids STILL have'nt complained to me about any judder.

I'm ever gracious for an external PSU. The one in my 360 went, I phoned up the MS help desk and a new one was posted out straight away, recieved 3 days later. You stick a PSU in the unit not only do you add heat to the circulation but you have to send away the whole console for repair.

As for Kinect its definitely not poor on movement if its set up right. My Kids have used the Kinect on Happy Action Theater and Kinect Party since release. Its no surprise that Playstation tapped up Double Fine who made those to do the same for them with the playroom. But I use Kinect whenever i play Battlefield 4 as the lean feature is exceptional. I aim down the sights and I can quickly lean round the corner of a building and am at an advantage. I play NFS : Rivals and I can just say GPS repair, and it'll give me a GPS route to a garage with no needed button press. Add to that the Skype Integration may well replace the telephone in the years to come and you're on to a winner.

Lol. Just use Skype with Kinect then try and have that "it's poor on registering movement" argument. It's actually one of the most impressive aspects of it. It follows you around the room, zooms out to keep you in focus, zooms in when you sit back down...it's just dynamic.

Sorry Pap, the tv "judder" is acceptable. Christ, I don't even notice it anymore, the girlfriend has NEVER noticed it and I watch a hell of a lot of football. Not sure what all the Xbox bashing is about, everybody that owns one seems to be happy with it, isn't that what matters? I'm not criticising PS4, haven't had the pleasure of playing it. When there's something worth playing, I'll get one.

Voice recognition is mostly fine too. Works well in Fifa for example, and the "Xbox, record that" command has already become the new insult in Fifa 14 after you've scored a 25 harder against a mate. It will improve in time.

They certainly haven't made the wrong console. This user absolutely loves it. If Sky bring their integration to the box like the US networks have for their sports that's as much as a killer app as any game.

Both launches have actually been quite staggering in the numbers sold. I too, wasn't so sure about it before. But now I'm completely sold on it. Even when I get a PS4, the XBox One will be the system that is always on. To me, smart move by Microsoft. It's a slow burner, certainly, but in can understand their endgame and unless they do something ridiculous, I'm on board.

Why the XBox bashing? I think the clue is in the thread title. It's an either/or question; any comparison between the two machines is going to produce some negative criticism for each in some quarters. Mostly though, it's because there are a number of things to bash.

With respect to the TV HDMI pass through, I'm not sure that any number of testimonials from significant halves is going to matter. Nolan; I'm not sleeping with your wife. Latheal; I'm not going with your girlfriend. I mention this, because the pair of you keep presenting their experiences as some kind of fait accompli that matters to me. Now if they lived in my house, the fact that they're blind to the XBOX TV mode's failings might be a positive, but I've no plans to take them on (or indeed set up any kind of harem with SaintsWeb's readers wives ). I think you can assume that their ignorance of judder in XBox One's TV mode is unlikely to be a factor in my purchasing decision, or anyone's except for yours.

It boils down to this; the TV image is worse when put through the XBOX than it is when directly connected to your TV. XBox One owners pay £429 up front for that, along with the ongoing costs of running a power hungry box just to watch TV. Tell me; what makes this worthwhile?

Being able to talk to your console? Soz, but shouting commands at a machine like a sad moron isn't my idea of gaming fun. The missus would go spare after 11pm anyways.

Why the XBox bashing? I think the clue is in the thread title. It's an either/or question; any comparison between the two machines is going to produce some negative criticism for each in some quarters. Mostly though, it's because there are a number of things to bash.

With respect to the TV HDMI pass through, I'm not sure that any number of testimonials from significant halves is going to matter. Nolan; I'm not sleeping with your wife. Latheal; I'm not going with your girlfriend. I mention this, because the pair of you keep presenting their experiences as some kind of fait accompli that matters to me. Now if they lived in my house, the fact that they're blind to the XBOX TV mode's failings might be a positive, but I've no plans to take them on (or indeed set up any kind of harem with SaintsWeb's readers wives ). I think you can assume that their ignorance of judder in XBox One's TV mode is unlikely to be a factor in my purchasing decision, or anyone's except for yours.

It boils down to this; the TV image is worse when put through the XBOX than it is when directly connected to your TV. XBox One owners pay £429 up front for that, along with the ongoing costs of running a power hungry box just to watch TV. Tell me; what makes this worthwhile?

Being able to talk to your console? Soz, but shouting commands at a machine like a sad moron isn't my idea of gaming fun. The missus would go spare after 11pm anyways.

Doesn't it boil down to the fact that they are presenting real life experience using the xbox in their households? It makes no difference that it's not your wife or your girlfriend. Fact is, you don't own an xbox so can't comment as to what it is like to use practically. You are basing your negative opinion on a couple of YouTube videos and a handful of articles. The posters above are merely describing their experiences.

If voice control doesn't float your boat then fine, but some might enjoy it. Surely you'd be better spending the time you post on here to actually use your ps4 rather than tell people who have xboxes what is wrong with their console (despite the fact you don't actually own one and therefore aren't best placed to comment).

Doesn't it boil down to the fact that they are presenting real life experience using the xbox in their households? It makes no difference that it's not your wife or your girlfriend. Fact is, you don't own an xbox so can't comment as to what it is like to use practically. You are basing your negative opinion on a couple of YouTube videos and a handful of articles. The posters above are merely describing their experiences.

If voice control doesn't float your boat then fine, but some might enjoy it. Surely you'd be better spending the time you post on here to actually use your ps4 rather than tell people who have xboxes what is wrong with their console (despite the fact you don't actually own one and therefore aren't best placed to comment).

I'm a prospective owner. Several of the reasons that I'm not an owner are listed on this thread.

The posters above are engaging in buyer's remorse flavoured apologism for features that don't work. I'm simply asking why is TV integration worth it? What does it give you? Why is it worth making the visual and financial compromise to use it?

I'm a prospective owner. Several of the reasons that I'm not an owner are listed on this thread.

The posters above are engaging in buyer's remorse flavoured apologism for features that don't work. I'm simply asking why is TV integration worth it? What does it give you? Why is it worth making the visual and financial compromise to use it?

You may be a prospective buyer, but you are extremely quick to dismiss the views of those who actually own the machine. If I was a prospective buyer I'd want to hear about end user experience rather than watch some YouTube video or read an article. The posters are offering an opinion that you've chosen to dismiss as buyer's remorse in preference to something you've seen on YouTube. What's the point of having a debate if you've already made up your mind? It's not a debate if you refuse to even consider the views of others.

You may be a prospective buyer, but you are extremely quick to dismiss the views of those who actually own the machine. If I was a prospective buyer I'd want to hear about end user experience rather than watch some YouTube video or read an article. The posters are offering an opinion that you've chosen to dismiss as buyer's remorse in preference to something you've seen on YouTube. What's the point of having a debate if you've already made up your mind? It's not a debate if you refuse to even consider the views of others.

I prefer the term "efficient".

I have to say, I find your implicit assertion that one has to own something in order to be able to comment on it rather amusing.

Does this mean that if you were buying a new car, you would simply buy cars until you find one you like? How expensive does that work out?

Mate dont waste any more time on this. Like most, I agree that first hand experiences, based on real usage over a decent period, are very useful compared to individual opinions from those with a clearly blinkered agenda. Sadly all views, experiences, comments or blogs that suggest the Xbox has any sort of merit are being totally dismissed, which is all you need to know about the balance being shown

I prefer the term "efficient".

I have to say, I find your implicit assertion that one has to own something in order to be able to comment on it rather amusing.

Does this mean that if you were buying a new car, you would simply buy cars until you find one you like? How expensive does that work out?

No, but presumably you'd want to test drive a car before you bought it? Or would you just buy it because some Autocar journalist said it was ace?

All I'm saying is, your opinion which you keep hammering home forcefully to anyone who will listen is based on what you have read and seen in YouTube (and sometimes your arguments aren't even based on an accurate reflection of what the article actually says - I.e the controller article).

If I were buying a product I would want to hear from someone who owned it or had at least used it rather than someone who had read someone else's opinion on it.

And yes, I do think you have to own or use something to review it. The people who write the articles you are reading have actually used an Xbox. You on the other hand are purporting to advise others as to its merits without any first hand experience at all.

Mate dont waste any more time on this. Like most, I agree that first hand experiences, based on real usage over a decent period, are very useful compared to individual opinions from those with a clearly blinkered agenda. Sadly all views, experiences, comments or blogs that suggest the Xbox has any sort of merit are being totally dismissed, which is all you need to know about the balance being shown

Agreed, thats the point I'm trying to make that pap keeps ignoring.

No, but presumably you'd want to test drive a car before you bought it? Or would you just buy it because some Autocar journalist said it was ace?

All I'm saying is, your opinion which you keep hammering home forcefully to anyone who will listen is based on what you have read and seen in YouTube (and sometimes your arguments aren't even based on an accurate reflection of what the article actually says - I.e the controller article).

If I were buying a product I would want to hear from someone who owned it or had at least used it rather than someone who had read someone else's opinion on it.

And yes, I do think you have to own or use something to review it. The people who write the articles you are reading have actually used an Xbox. You on the other hand are purporting to advise others as to its merits without any first hand experience at all.

Well, that'll be all professional reviewers out of a job, then. When are you going to drop the bad news that they're all wasting their time? Will the staff be made redundant?

Keep explaining what I'm doing in my posts. I reckon that'll give you at least another 4 or 5 opportunities to not address the issues.

Agreed, thats the point I'm trying to make that pap keeps ignoring.

Arf. Don't speak about the issues. Look around them!

After all, this thread is all about me, not XBOX One vs PS4 :)

Edited by pap

This is where forum moderation really needs to come in.

Pap, are you seriously saying that you have never been disappointed by something that's been given a positive review, a film? A game?

Professional reviewers provide a guide, first hand testimonial works hand in hand with that to help pin-point what you are after. It's why I did at one point enjoy reading this thread to see what people's first hand experiences have been, reviews have told me that both machines are excellent, first hand testing has confirmed this. Gaining further perspective from those who live with them helps on-top of this.

There is one only negative perspective coming from anyone I have asked directly about either machine...... That it comes from someone who owns neither tells it's own tale.

Edited by Colinjb

Do you reckon their wives and girlfriends will step up to bat for the judder issue as well?

Boil the various arguments down; they come down to "no it isn't" and "you're wrong". The fact that people are using their significant others as "proof" against professional reviewers is just the amusing icing on the cake.

"I'm an XBox One owner. And so's my wife!"

Do you reckon their wives and girlfriends will step up to bat for the judder issue as well?

Boil the various arguments down; they come down to "no it isn't" and "you're wrong". The fact that people are using their significant others as "proof" against professional reviewers is just the amusing icing on the cake.

You're not even bothering to read the responses now, are you? You are just preferring to be argumentative and sarcastic for the sake of it.

You really are making yourself look a bit silly with this wives and girlfriends gag. Just serves to show you've missed the point of what has been said.

This bloke seems fairly angry about it :)

That's nice for him.

Go out there, try it for yourself and then feedback. I want YOUR opinion, not someone elses.

There is a highlighted shortcoming in something above and beyond the capability of the console's main rival. I get it. But rehashing other peoples opinion when you have none of your own renders your hot air meaningless, you are just a conduit... an empty vessel.

Edited by Colinjb

Pap, are you seriously saying that you have never been disappointed by something that's been given a positive review, a film? A game?

Professional reviewers provide a guide, first hand testimonial works hand in hand with that to help pin-point what you are after. It's why I did at one point enjoy reading this thread to see what people's first hand experiences have been, reviews have told me that both machines are excellent, first hand testing has confirmed this. Gaining further perspective from those who live with them helps on-top of this.

There is one only negative perspective coming from anyone I have asked directly about either machine...... That it comes from someone who owns neither tells it's own tale.

Sorry - didn't address the end of your post at the time because you hadn't written it.

I own a PS4. I may get an XBOX One, but increasingly unlikely after what I've discovered about it. The one thing that it does have over the PS4 doesn't work properly in this country. As soon as they get a proper 50Hz mode in for TV, I may reconsider.

Sorry - didn't address the end of your post at the time because you hadn't written it.

I own a PS4. I may get an XBOX One, but increasingly unlikely after what I've discovered about it. The one thing that it does have over the PS4 doesn't work properly in this country. As soon as they get a proper 50Hz mode in for TV, I may reconsider.

Fine. But stop being a d*ck to people who are providing first hand feedback and opinion on something you only have second hand knowledge for. Frankly I thought you were better then that, clearly I totally misjudged you and continue to make the same mistake again by humouring you repeatedly.

That's nice for him.

Go out there, try it for yourself and then feedback. I want YOUR opinion, not someone elses.

There is a highlighted shortcoming in something above and beyond the capability of the console's main rival. I get it. But rehashing other peoples opinion when you have none of your own renders your hot air meaningless, you are just a conduit... an empty vessel.

How is this guy's opinion (who knows his gaming onions; we used to write for the same gaming site) less valid than Nolan's wifes or Latheal's girlfriend?

My opinion on 1080p has been my own since the start.

I found about the TV issue later on (kept very quiet on here). SickBoy demonstrates the idiocy of Microsoft's short-sightedness both eloquently and passionately. What's your prob, bro?

How is this guy's opinion (who knows his gaming onions; we used to write for the same gaming site) less valid than Nolan's wifes or Latheal's girlfriend?

My opinion on 1080p has been my own since the start.

I found about the TV issue later on (kept very quiet on here). SickBoy demonstrates the idiocy of Microsoft's short-sightedness both eloquently and passionately. What's your prob, bro?

It's not less valid. Crucially, no-one else's opinion has less or more weight then the other.

What isn't valid is your insulting, demeaning and aggressive pursuit of anyone's view that you dissagree with. As an adult with children for heaven's sake that behavior should be beneath you.

Edited by Colinjb

It's not less valid. Crucially, no-one else's opinion has less or more weight then the other.

What isn't valid is your insulting, demeaning and aggressive pursuit of anyone's view that you dissagree with. As an adult with children for heaven's sake that behavior should be beneath you.

Blimey. You really going with this?

The XBoners keep coming back. I'm one of the most argumentative people on this forum, and in this case, I also happen to be correct. You were right when you said you misjudged me; that's your problem, not mine.

Constraining my comments to your input specifically, you barreled onto here claiming the difference between One and PS4 graphics was "marginal", despite the fact I'd already proven that it isn't. Far from it. There hasn't been one acknowledgement of this basic fact from yourself. I'm just wrong, despite all the maths and screenshot showing me to be right.

Now, if tangling with me really does upset you, I'd suggest you either stop writing unsubstantiated boll*cks way outside your area of expertise ( much like my self-imposed exile from many football topics ) or write it where I won't see it. Your blogs would be an ideal place*

* ( now that's being a d!ck, just for future reference )

Blimey. You really going with this?

The XBoners keep coming back. I'm one of the most argumentative people on this forum, and in this case, I also happen to be correct. You were right when you said you misjudged me; that's your problem, not mine.

Constraining my comments to your input specifically, you barreled onto here claiming the difference between One and PS4 graphics was "marginal", despite the fact I'd already proven that it isn't. Far from it. There hasn't been one acknowledgement of this basic fact from yourself. I'm just wrong, despite all the maths and screenshot showing me to be right.

Now, if tangling with me really does upset you, I'd suggest you either stop writing unsubstantiated boll*cks way outside your area of expertise ( much like my self-imposed exile from many football topics ) or write it where I won't see it. Your blogs would be an ideal place*

* ( now that's being a d!ck, just for future reference )

That really took you ten minutes? Such incredible arrogance, conceit and ignorance of what people have actually tried to discuss. There is no point entertaining you any further.

That really took you ten minutes? Such incredible arrogance, conceit and ignorance of what people have actually tried to discuss. There is no point entertaining you any further.

I didn't reply to it straight away. Probably four or five minutes.

Arrogance and conceit I'll accept. Ignorance is your thing. I'd suggest starting with an arithmetic conundrum to get the ol' grey cells working.

Your starter for ten:-

What is the difference between

1280 x 720

and

1920 x 1080

A straight number will do. Let's not have any nebulous "marginal" answers.

Edited by pap

Pap, maybe I wasn't clear on the judder. The point I was trying to make was while the gf has never noticed it, I did at the beginning, now I don't. It's not even an issue. If it is for you, then fair enough.

Buyer's remorse? Didn't pay a penny for it, so have none of that. It was a birthday present from the girlfriend. Before the Xbox One, I was a massive Sony fan. Still am. I'm also a media centre lover so I get the idea of what they are trying to do.

I've owned every console since the CD32. I work for one of the world's largest manufacturers of Enterprise systems. I've designed systems that are helping CERN. I work with the guy who design's Rockstar's servers for their GTA V Online system. I think what I'm trying to say is I understand hardware, and also how software talks to it. The first party games, the ones that are designed for their respective systems will be miles more advanced than what we see now.

Completely take your point about pixels. For me, that's not the be all and end all. After all, if there's a multi format game, I'll probably get it on my PC as it trounces both consoles. They'll be the Fifa's that will always be purchased on Consoles, and my decision will be made on probably price and who is online on what system. The Skyrim's of this world will be on PC. If there is a killer app on a certain system, a certain game that is only available on that system, then that's a reason to buy that console. But my personal situation may be different than others.

The fact is, it's not just about games for me. The TV integration could be fantastic. At the moment it's simply ok. The games on both systems so far don't really have a AAA status to go out and buy. So when there are no games, what else can it offer? PS4 has gone down a games route and fair play to it. It looks a great machine. But I want more than games on my console now. And at the moment, it fails there (I'm sure updates will sort this out).

I just don't think the Xbox One is the car crash you are making it out to be. The original question is about Xbox or PS4. I'm just giving my view on My experience with Xbox. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I wouldn't under estimate the power that is Microsoft and what they are prepared to do.

It's a great time to be a gamer, both choices have their merits. If I didn't get one for my birthday, I wouldn't have bought either yet. Always intended to get both in time, but some of your comments just aren't right. The judder is over blown. And god, if it causes that much issue, just plug sky into the tv directly. It's a choice, you don't have to do it. Personally, for me, the fact that I can snap it to the corner whilst playing a game outweighs a judder that I can no longer see.

Pap, maybe I wasn't clear on the judder. The point I was trying to make was while the gf has never noticed it, I did at the beginning, now I don't. It's not even an issue. If it is for you, then fair enough.

Buyer's remorse? Didn't pay a penny for it, so have none of that. It was a birthday present from the girlfriend. Before the Xbox One, I was a massive Sony fan. Still am. I'm also a media centre lover so I get the idea of what they are trying to do.

I've owned every console since the CD32. I work for one of the world's largest manufacturers of Enterprise systems. I've designed systems that are helping CERN. I work with the guy who design's Rockstar's servers for their GTA V Online system. I think what I'm trying to say is I understand hardware, and also how software talks to it. The first party games, the ones that are designed for their respective systems will be miles more advanced than what we see now.

Completely take your point about pixels. For me, that's not the be all and end all. After all, if there's a multi format game, I'll probably get it on my PC as it trounces both consoles. They'll be the Fifa's that will always be purchased on Consoles, and my decision will be made on probably price and who is online on what system. The Skyrim's of this world will be on PC. If there is a killer app on a certain system, a certain game that is only available on that system, then that's a reason to buy that console. But my personal situation may be different than others.

The fact is, it's not just about games for me. The TV integration could be fantastic. At the moment it's simply ok. The games on both systems so far don't really have a AAA status to go out and buy. So when there are no games, what else can it offer? PS4 has gone down a games route and fair play to it. It looks a great machine. But I want more than games on my console now. And at the moment, it fails there (I'm sure updates will sort this out).

I just don't think the Xbox One is the car crash you are making it out to be. The original question is about Xbox or PS4. I'm just giving my view on My experience with Xbox. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I wouldn't under estimate the power that is Microsoft and what they are prepared to do.

It's a great time to be a gamer, both choices have their merits. If I didn't get one for my birthday, I wouldn't have bought either yet. Always intended to get both in time, but some of your comments just aren't right. The judder is over blown. And god, if it causes that much issue, just plug sky into the tv directly. It's a choice, you don't have to do it. Personally, for me, the fact that I can snap it to the corner whilst playing a game outweighs a judder that I can no longer see.

Hello Latheal. Thanks for this; it's a cut above much of the other commentary on the issues, and respect for being candid from the start. As the recipient of an XBox One as a gift, you must naturally be excluded from the buyer's remorse club.

FWIW, I don't think there will ever be massive differences in FIFA unless they really start hammering the detail; the graphical scope of the game is limited to the size of the stadium and what's in it. They don't have to worry too much about draw distance, and can use a lot of smoke and mirrors because of the stop-start nature of the game. Close-ups and replays are a good example of this; the game runs at 60FPS most of the time, but drops down to 30FPS on corners, freekicks and replays.

You and I will probably be in the same hardware club at some point in the future. My jumping on point for One will probably be the new Fable. At that point, I'll have a PC, the One and the PS4. The only thing I can see myself buying on One are the exclusives. To be even-handed, that'll probably be the case with much of the PS4 catalogue too; the PC is such an attractive proposition price/performance wise.

The XBox One is not a car crash of a system. Had it been launched in isolation, those sales numbers would be amazing. The problem is that the PS4 has eclipsed it; its unclear as to what happens next. None of that is going to stop an owner from enjoying the system, but that doesn't answer the question "XBox One or PS4?".

The console is beaten hands down on price and performance. For me, it's an easy call to make and when I own a One and have to buy a multi-platform console game, that'll be an easy call to make too.

I currently have an Xbox 360. I use it pretty much just to play the latest version of FIFA; plus an occasional dabble with GTA V.

I am not really in the market yet to purchase a PS4 or Xbox One. If', however, I was, I have learnt from this thread that:-

• The PS4 has a bit better resolution/graphics potentially, if games makers utilise the capabilities.

• The Xbox One offers many more features and could be your complete home hub - albeit, it may have a slight judder issue sometimes, but not very often, and most people won't be able to see it, or won't notice it after a while, or don't care.

• Pap is a bit of a ****.

• I would probably buy the Xbox One for all of the above reasons.

I currently have an Xbox 360. I use it pretty much just to play the latest version of FIFA; plus an occasional dabble with GTA V.

I am not really in the market yet to purchase a PS4 or Xbox One. If', however, I was, I have learnt from this thread that:-

• The PS4 has a bit better resolution/graphics potentially, if games makers utilise the capabilities.

• The Xbox One offers many more features and could be your complete home hub - albeit, it may have a slight judder issue sometimes, but not very often, and most people won't be able to see it, or won't notice it after a while, or don't care.

• Pap is a bit of a ****.

• I would probably buy the Xbox One for all of the above reasons.

1) There is no multi-platform game on PS4 that looks better on One.

2) The One repeats every fifth frame you'll ever see. This happens all the time, although the circumstances under which it's really apparent are sports games and news tickers.

3) Pap is a *lot* of a ****

With regards to your purchase, I'm not at all surprised. You have a long history of paying too much for hardware :) x

Far comment Pap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in the PS4, but until there is something worth playing, I'm not going to bother. As an owner of PS4, can you answer some (genuine) questions.

1. Do movies start instantly on PS4 from the PS4 network? I've only got 3-5mb broadband where I live and I've been well impressed with Xbox's instant Video, even in HD. On my PS3, or Sky, I had to wait for a film to download. It makes the impromptu purchases impossible.

2. Is Killzone actually any good?

3. Do games install to the HDD and do you need the disc in the drive to play them?

4. Out of all next gen games, what is the one you are looking most forward to?

5. Is the PS4 controller actually usable in games? The touch thing (to me) looks awkward to use.

Just a couple of things around my Xbox experience. Out of the box it wouldn't update. Had to reload the OS from a USB drive. No issues since then to be honest with the OS.

Have a few issues with Lovefilm app just crashing out in the middle of a film. Not sure if this is an app or Sky downloading its latest films, or even Xbox doing it (the films as mentioned on Xbox video instantly start. There must be some kind of pre-loading going on as no way m internet can cope with streaming a 2gb movie straight away).

Everything else has worked as advertised. Little peeved that it's an extra £20 for a charge pack for the controllers so people need to add that in to the cost (as well as Xbox Live for £40) unless they have an ever growing stash of batteries. Also, you'll need a Microsoft account to make it work. Haven't tried out Skydrive, think its photos only but not sure.

DLNA works fine when pushing it from a PC. You can even control that from a smart phone.

Smartglass is pretty useless at the moment, apart from browsing the net and sending that to the TV.

1. Do movies start instantly on PS4 from the PS4 network? I've only got 3-5mb broadband where I live and I've been well impressed with Xbox's instant Video, even in HD. On my PS3, or Sky, I had to wait for a film to download. It makes the impromptu purchases impossible.

There is about 10 seconds of checking for a licence, then the movie begins and is in HD within two seconds. However, I've got a 100Mb connection in my house. Everything moves quickly; the old 360 movie player used to be quite impressive too.

2. Is Killzone actually any good?

I haven't played through single player yet, but I've played a lot of multi-player. My PS4 came bundled with it. The single player campaign runs at 30FPS, and does look excellent. There's a real-time pan shot that begins the game; really looks awesome. Multi-player is good enough that I haven't been tempted to re-purchase BF4 or look at COD.

3. Do games install to the HDD and do you need the disc in the drive to play them?

Most disc-based games install something, but you do need the disc in the drive to play disc-based games. Download games are obviously different, but inexplicably cost more than the boxed retail versions.

4. Out of all next gen games, what is the one you are looking most forward to?

There are quite a few. Looking forward to inFamous : Second Son (PS4), Titanfall (PC), GTA V (PC), Fable (One), Xenoblade Chronicle's as yet untitled successor (Wii U), Uncharted (PS4), Diablo 3 (PS4 - and will be my 3rd fkn copy - the console version is excellent).

5. Is the PS4 controller actually usable in games? The touch thing (to me) looks awkward to use.

I've only really seen it used once in games; for quick time events in Injustice. Works ok, but was a little gimmicky in that context. Most things just work off the normal controller functions, and it is a very nice controller.

A couple of other points; I've not tried to use the PS4 in anger as a media server. It doesn't support DLNA yet, and it very much looks like Sony would like to be Apple when it comes to media; a big walled garden. Long term, I'm not too worried about that; I think it'll be patched in at some point. I know people who've held off buying one for precisely that reason; they'll need to play their media somewhere. Sony are testing the water right now to see what they can get away with.

The other big thing that floats by boat are the smaller downloadable games; it was the best thing about the last gen for me. MS' licensing deal with smaller outfits means a lot of stuff won't make it over for financial reasons. During last gen, we had the farce of a developer wanting to release a patch but being financially unable to do so, due to MS' certification charges. I'd expect the range of downloadable games to be much bigger on PS4 for this reason.

TThe other big thing that floats by boat are the smaller downloadable games; it was the best thing about the last gen for me. MS' licensing deal with smaller outfits means a lot of stuff won't make it over for financial reasons. During last gen, we had the farce of a developer wanting to release a patch but being financially unable to do so, due to MS' certification charges. I'd expect the range of downloadable games to be much bigger on PS4 for this reason.

Luckily this gen Microsoft dont charge Certification of Update fees, and seeing as every single Xbox One (all 3.5 million currently in the wild) can be used as a dev kit. There will be a lot of Indie games on Xbox One.

Luckily this gen Microsoft dont charge Certification of Update fees, and seeing as every single Xbox One (all 3.5 million currently in the wild) can be used as a dev kit. There will be a lot of Indie games on Xbox One.

Fair play Nolan; you're correct on this one.

Hadn't realised that this was one of their huge u-turns.

So to conclude matters, xbox one or PS4?

Whatever you fancy. If you like the look of the multimedia functionality kinnect etc then got for the xbox, if it's just the games you want then go for the ps4. I'm sure you will be happy with either choice just don't let the fanboys try to influence you too much.

Its going to be interesting when Microsoft launches in the same number of areas than Sony then...

I'm unsure of the "XBox One only available in certain countries" being used as an excuse for poor sales, Nolan.

However, I am willing to entertain it.

These are the countries that it's presently available in.

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States

That's Western Europe, North America, the English-speaking parts of Oceania and Brazil. This leaves Asia, Eastern Europe ( not Russia ), Africa and everywhere in South America that isn't Brazil. Which of those territories do you think will make the big difference for Microsoft?

I'm unsure of the "XBox One only available in certain countries" being used as an excuse for poor sales, Nolan.

However, I am willing to entertain it.

These are the countries that it's presently available in.

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States

That's Western Europe, North America, the English-speaking parts of Oceania and Brazil. This leaves Asia, Eastern Europe ( not Russia ), Africa and everywhere in South America that isn't Brazil. Which of those territories do you think will make the big difference for Microsoft?

C'mon Pap, least get your facts right: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and Switzerland. were all delayed (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-delayed-in-eight-regions/1100-6412984/) its not exactly new news. Those territories still havent got a release date.

The correct 13 launch countries were Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, and New Zealand.

C'mon Pap, least get your facts right: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and Switzerland. were all delayed (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-delayed-in-eight-regions/1100-6412984/) its not exactly new news. Those territories still havent got a release date.

The correct 13 launch countries were Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, and New Zealand.

Fair enough; which of those will save the XBox One?

Two fantastic examples of the better technology losing out to its technologically inferior competitor.

So in that sense, the comparison is invalid. We've proven that the PS4 is technologically superior on every comparable point.

The examples are interesting in that they all involve Sony. Betamax was Sony's format; like the PS4, it was technically superior to its contemporaries. They lost that battle for commercial reasons; you might say they learned from their mistakes. HD DVD vs Blu Ray was an entirely different proposition. I don't think you've any business saying that HD DVD was better for consumers, apart from one small area which doesn't matter anymore; cost. BluRay's hard-coating production process made Blu Ray discs more difficult to produce when a format war actually existed.

Two things ended the stalemate. First, the studios jumped ship (Sony owns a couple of them anyway). Next, a Blu Ray drive was included in every PS3. A lot of people would own the format even if they weren't particularly interested in it. Inevitable Blu Ray purchases ensued.

Console perma-death hasn't happened since the dark days of the Dreamcast, but it was by no means unprecedented. The Saturn suffered a similar fate in the previous generation. The Wii U looks like it might go that way now.

As we've discussed before, a difference of a million units won't necessarily stop games from coming to One, but games companies are going to be acutely aware of the size of the respective markets, and will prioritise the PS4 version. Very few multi-plat games were lead SKU on PS3 (Burnout Paradise was a notable exception, I believe). That'll change this generation, partially because the PS4 is so much closer to the PC architectually, but mostly because of bums on seats. A million more have a PS4 controller in their hands right now. Japan goes live next month for PS4. That'll add at least another million's difference in 2014.

Returning to your earlier point, why is it going to be interesting when MS release the One in the remaining countries?

Both consoles are selling well enough to have a critical mass. Neither will be left behind and your "port" point is far less relevant than in the pass as both are on x86 architecture.

My "why does it matter " question was aimed at you Pap. I don't know you from Adam but, reading this thread, it appears you won't rest until people agree with you.

But the point is, some people won't, because for them the Xbox suits them better. Both will be successful.

Personally I think the media aspects of Xbox will give it broader, longer lasting appeal but that PS4 will sell more in Yr 1 (not least because it's cheaper and hardcore gamers are likely to be younger, less affluent).

Remember though that gamers are a small percentage of potential consumers, the prize MS are after is much, much bigger.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express