Interesting Read for WW2 Buffs.

View From The Top

Great human tragedy story. I've been Russia a fair bit but have no direct connection. Yet somehow this made me want to go out and help, or at least donate money.

At the end of the story VTT posted up there is a link to another - not as long or as moving - but highlights how well funded German groups dig in Russia for German dead, but the Russians get little help. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13887325

The Russians had the worst time of it, yet are often overlooked for local considerations, like the Battle of Britain. I really enjoyed Beevor's comprehensive approach to the Second World War; the Russians rightly loom large for much of the book. More than anything else, Soviet sacrifice and the resilience of the nation as a whole won the war in Europe.

Very decent article. Shame about the funding not being there to give each an individual burial, but the closure that their findings brought to families like the Kustovs is life-changing.

The Russians had the worst time of it, yet are often overlooked for local considerations, like the Battle of Britain. I really enjoyed Beevor's comprehensive approach to the Second World War; the Russians rightly loom large for much of the book. More than anything else, Soviet sacrifice and the resilience of the nation as a whole won the war in Europe.

Very decent article. Shame about the funding not being there to give each an individual burial, but the closure that their findings brought to families like the Kustovs is life-changing.

Sorry Pap you on a World War II thread after the last one concerning you, you have some brass balls, shall we discuss tanks, the Russian front or their forced defiance?

A very interesting and moving article.

I visited St Peterhof, a former imperial palace near St Petersbourg. During the war it had been destroyed by the Germans; but after the war, the Soviets beautifully rebuilt it. I mentioned to my Russian guide that I was surprised that the Soviets had restored this former symbol of imperial power. She seemed slightly offended, and replied something like: “this palace is part of our nation’s history, we were proud to restore it.”

Seems incongruous that the rebuilding of this palace took place, whilst, all around, the bodies of those soldiers still lay where they fell.