Irrational, superstitious or OCD type behaviour

Halo Stickman

Spent ages this morning scrabbling around looking for a pair of matching socks! It’s not like I’m going for a job interview or anything like that: I’m working at home all day and won’t see a single soul until Mrs Stickman returns in the evening, so why the hell can’t I bring myself to wear odd socks?

Then there’s Mrs Stickman, a highly qualified woman in a top job, yet won’t cut her nails on Fridays, and every time she sees one of those black and white squawky birds feels compelled to say: “good morning mister magpie, how’s your missus?” FFS!

Anyone else care to share their irrational, superstitious or OCD type behaviour; or am I the only nutjob on here? :(

Edited by Halo Stickman

I wouldn't say wanting to wear matching socks is OCD. Shows an orderly brain, although if you were that organised it wouldn't that long to find some - surely?!

Superstition is all ingrained in us somewhere. I like to think of myself as a complete atheist and don't believe in anything like ghosts or anything else dreamt up by humans in literature that's now turned into beliefs. However, I still 'touch wood' occasionally and there's probably other things as well, more to do with routine than anything else. I don't think we can completely escape it and it's pretty harmless, unless it's checking things every 5 mins. Which makes me wonder, did all of you lock the door when you left today?? ;-)

I would consider myself a rational, reasonably intelligent, scientific atheist . However, I still have the odd bouts of similar madness. I say hello to magpies, but i am sure this is because my Mum did this throughoput the whole of my childhood and I do it now without even thinking. I also can't wear odd socks and have been known to wear yesterdays again rather than wear odd - No idea why its not like I take much pride in my appearance - I was given 'day of the week' socks a while ago - man you think OCD is bad when you worry about odd socks - you try wearing the wrong 'day' socks

I would consider myself a rational, reasonably intelligent, scientific atheist . However, I still have the odd bouts of similar madness. I say hello to magpies, but i am sure this is because my Mum did this throughoput the whole of my childhood and I do it now without even thinking. I also can't wear odd socks and have been known to wear yesterdays again rather than wear odd - No idea why its not like I take much pride in my appearance - I was given 'day of the week' socks a while ago - man you think OCD is bad when you worry about odd socks - you try wearing the wrong 'day' socks

Yep, days of the week socks would be a real no-no for me!

My wife is not religious either, yet, I believe both the superstitions I linked to her have their origins in religion. Not cutting her nails on Fridays is obviously linked to the crucifixion, and magpies were viewed with suspicion by the early church because they didn’t conform to the idea that people were either good like the white dove or evil like the black raven.

Edited by Halo Stickman

Ive got the polar opposite, which I guess makes it almost the same. Something makes me want to tempt fate. I never lock my front door and rarely lock the car, new shoes go on the table, my cat is black etc. It actually makes you feel better about the world when things you fear don't happen.

Ive got the polar opposite, which I guess makes it almost the same. Something makes me want to tempt fate. I never lock my front door and rarely lock the car, new shoes go on the table, my cat is black etc. It actually makes you feel better about the world when things you fear don't happen.

Where do you live?? Address, post code??

Spent ages this morning scrabbling around looking for a pair of matching socks! It’s not like I’m going for a job interview or anything like that: I’m working at home all day and won’t see a single sole until Mrs Stickman returns in the evening, so why the hell can’t I bring myself to wear odd socks?

Then there’s Mrs Stickman, a highly qualified woman in a top job, yet won’t cut her nails on Fridays, and every time she sees one of those black and white squawky birds feels compelled to say: “good morning mister magpie, how’s your missus?” FFS!

Anyone else care to share their irrational, superstitious or OCD type behaviour; or am I the only nutjob on here? :(

You're married to a fish? Are you sure you're on the right forum? :D

On the OCD subject, my ever-loving wife always, always double-checks that the front door is locked, that the car is locked and various other similar things. She also hates dust and water if it's where it shouldn't be. I wouldn't say she actually suffers from OCD, but these things are a spectrum rather than on on/off kind of thing. Let's just say she's a lot farther along the spectrum than I am.

An ex of mine once told me that walking over a set of 3 draincovers was bad luck (2 being good luck). It's clearly bullsh 1 t but I still can't help but avoid the sets of three.

I am currently wearing (matching) Thursday socks on a Wednesday.

My wife's elder daughter came up with that one a few years back - only she refers to it as three drainpipes, regardless of the fact that the 'drainpipes' in question are actually those large concrete slabs which cover BT stuff. Apparently you get out of the bad luck by spitting or saying 'toast'. Hadn't heard about two of them being good luck though. Guess it's a variant on the old cracks-between-paving-stones theme - after all, a lot of pavements are tarmac these days.

You're married to a fish? Are you sure you're on the right forum? :D

On the OCD subject, my ever-loving wife always, always double-checks that the front door is locked, that the car is locked and various other similar things. She also hates dust and water if it's where it shouldn't be. I wouldn't say she actually suffers from OCD, but these things are a spectrum rather than on on/off kind of thing. Let's just say she's a lot farther along the spectrum than I am.

:lol:

Well, bless my soul, I see what you mean, Fowllyd. I better correct that immediately: I would skate anyone to think I was married to one of those fishy types.

I reckon a lot of superstitions are just common sense, like not walking under a ladder or crossing on stairs.

Definitely, pap. It would be interesting to find out the ratio between religious and commonsense based superstitions.

By the way, when he was a teenager, my nephew had that germ obsession, but, fortunately, like you, he grew out of it. When I was a boy, I had the David Beckham obsession of arranging everything symmetrically, especially if I was listening to a Saints match on the radio, or even just waiting for the scores to come in!

I am devestated, my right Tuesday sock has a hole, as a consequence of my toe nail getting too long. I cannot wear socks with holes. I cannot darn the hole due to lack of experience. I want mummy to fix the hole before I KILL EVERYONE IN THE ROOM!