Under 21's Wales v England

saintoaks

Strange post as he was actually much less effective than Townsend last season.

There's three years difference in age between them - quite apart from actual performances, just think Redmond has a higher ceiling and more to his game. Someone who can actually cut inside and go on the outside and deliver a cross.

Definitely take a punt on Redmond (and Lingard). We really need some pace up front and Redmond has it. Would get the cheque book out now if I were the manager. A low cost acquistion that may pay real dividends especially when we get so much possession of the ball as we have this season.......feed him and he will play...... hope our management listens to JWP.......

Definitely take a punt on Redmond (and Lingard). We really need some pace up front and Redmond has it. Would get the cheque book out now if I were the manager. A low cost acquistion that may pay real dividends especially when we get so much possession of the ball as we have this season.......feed him and he will play...... hope our management listens to JWP.......

This. He looked perfect for our set up.

Usual from what I saw. Still needs to define a true role for himself IMO. Too lightweight to be a true defensive midfielder and not attacking enough to play further forward. Very good technical player of course so Im sure it will come in time.

He was playing as one of the 2 in a 4231 system. His role is to get the ball off the centre backs and distribute it to the attacking four players and fullbacks, plus take set pieces. What else are you expecting him to do in that role? I doubt Southgate gave him a remit to do anything else, as you need someone doing what JWP does well for a 4231 system to work well. Its never going to be a spectacular role to play, but JWP does the seemingly simple stuff consistently well.

Edited by Matthew Le God

He was playing as one of the 2 in a 4231 system. His role is to get the ball off the centre backs and distribute it to the attacking four players and fullbacks, plus take set pieces. What else are you expecting him to do in that role? I doubt Southgate gave him a remit to do anything else, as you need someone doing what JWP does well for a 4231 system to work well.

You can still be good or bad in that role though

You can still be good or bad in that role though

Of course, but JWP did little wrong tonight apart from his marking for the Wales goal. In open play he was doing everything Southgate would want someone in that role to do. Its unlikely he'd win motm in that role as flair players like Redmond are more noticeable to your average fan, but if you watched what JWP did closely he kept England's passing ticking in a game they largely dominated in midfield.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Of course, but JWP did little wrong tonight apart from his marking for the Wales goal. In open play he was doing everything Southgate would want someone in that role to do. Its unlikely he'd win motm in that role as flair players like Redmond are more noticeable to your average fan, but if you watched what JWP did closely he kept England's passing ticking in a game they largely dominated in midfield.

He hardly touched the ball in the second half.

Really?

Less effective than Townsend's 1 goal and 1 assist last season? With the 1 goal being a cross that found its way in.

Redmond is raw, but I'd take him over Townsend every time and he's only going to get better. Townsend just seems like a throwback head down and run player with no end product, and he's already had 10 clubs.

Redmond only scored 1 last season as well.

Naturally, it was against us. :mcinnes:

Redmond looked good, although after his second goal he was frustratingly selfish, shooting at every opportunity when there were others in better positions around him. Not unique to him though - Ince and Lingard were guilty of that too, but Redmond was doing it repeatedly. With some coaching and better players around him than he has at Norwich, he could do well.