Transfer Prioritisation

alpine_saint

Thinking about the order RK should go about things.

We got Tadic - our Judas replacement

Hopefully we close Pelle - our Rickie replacement.

Order for further singings ?

CB1 (Stroppy greedy Cro[tw]at replacement)

LB (Shaw replacement)

Striker to cover J-Rod now, Osvaldo and further options once J-Rod is back

GK (competition for Boruc)

CB2 (competiton for Fonte, assuming he has a new contract)

CM (Morgan replacement and assuming Corky gets a new contract)

missing anything ??

LB (Shaw replacement)

missing anything ??

Why do you want new contracts for Cork and Fonte they are contracted next season are they not so perhaps we can replace them then with better players

I think your list is good but perhaps a wide player would be useful

Why do you want new contracts for Cork and Fonte they are contracted next season are they not so perhaps we can replace them then with better players

Maybe you are right about Fonte, but Cork is massively underrated and we will struggle to find better.

And being in their last year we could easily find ourselves losing them at incovenient times.

Maybe you are right about Fonte, but Cork is massively underrated and we will struggle to find better.

And being in their last year we could easily find ourselves losing them at incovenient times.

Just think Cork as a squad player I must admit a a good squad player never the less.

Got to give JWP and Reed game time so thet can develop hopefully to become better than Cork

Personally I think a right sided attacking midfielder would help, Redmond perhaps?

Not to be all MLG or whatever but I've only ever seen him play on the left. I do think a right wing-bot is elephant in the squad tho, maybe there is a youth team bro they have earmarked? we're usual pretty good at finding right wing-bots from youth team!

LB (Shaw replacement)

missing anything ??

If Morgan goes there is no point getting another CM in (specially for Reeds developments sake), we will still have Cork, Wanyama, Davis, Ward-Prowse and Reed for 2 positions

LB (Shaw replacement)

missing anything ??

My views:

In priority order (always start at the back when putting a team together!)

1. GK. Boruc is good but we need someone better.

2. CB. To replace Lovren. I assume he's going. Probably to Liverpool as they'll pay well over the odds. Just one as we have two steady replacements with Yoshida and Hoesfeld.

3. LB (s). We need two. A replacement for Shaw as an attacking left sided wingback. And a steady left sided defender for Fox, to provide competition and the odd cross or two!

4. CF (s). We need a minimum of two. Sharp is back. So needs to be given a chance. But we need a replacement for Osvaldo, Pelle(?) and a replacement for Lambert, Ings (?).

5. Impact subs. We need someone with pace who can come on with pace and accuracy, that Norwich lad will do! We need a couple of game changers.

6. Midfield. We need an engine and second defensive midfield option to replace Schneiderlin if he leaves. Almost impossible task.

What worries me is that to gel that lot we need them in quickly. I am worried that we are being slow - too slow - in bringing in players.

The other thing that worries me is that there are no guarantees that we will find replacements who will settle quickly. A bad CB and our new strikers taking time to settle and a poor replacement for Schneiderlin could see us rooted firmly to the bottom of the table early in the season. Failing to spend early on minimising this risk will make it harder to bring in quality in January. Success breeds success, but right now there are still more negatives surrounding the club than positives. We need to get a CB in quick of high quality as a priority (GK can follow). Spend high on a CB and let Lovren (Judas II) go.

Why wouldn't you? More settled players, higher transfer values, reliable players. I don't see many negatives.

The downside is, in Fontes, case his age that if you give him 2 more years but he becomes 4th choice you cant get rid.

Pretty much the situation with Hooiveld atm. Pretty sure the club would want to ship him out but if noone out there will match his wages he´s on now we cant do that.

The downside is, in Fontes, case his age that if you give him 2 more years but he becomes 4th choice you cant get rid.

Pretty much the situation with Hooiveld atm. Pretty sure the club would want to ship him out but if noone out there will match his wages he´s on now we cant do that.

I see Fonte falling apart without Lovren. He is twice the player with Lovren next to him. It's like losing Killer. Claus was half the CB when he left.

I think bringing in too many at once will just lead to disorganisation and misunderstandings on the pitch (look at Spurs last season, not to mention Norwich!)

I'd just go for a striker and versatile defender at this stage, with more players to follow in January.

With three already gone and probably two minimum to follow that cant be helped. A good reason why the new signings should be brought in asap.

I think bringing in too many at once will just lead to disorganisation and misunderstandings on the pitch (look at Spurs last season, not to mention Norwich!)

I'd just go for a striker and versatile defender at this stage, with more players to follow in January.

This is an interesting point worth considering. I think we'll potentially have lost x5 key players though so have to replace. But I see what you're getting at. My point though needs weighing up with this too. That is that if we demonstrate lack of ambition this summer and fail to replace with quality we may fail to stay out of the bottom half of the table (a strong possibility in my opinion - partly for the reasons you're articulating). If we haven't invested and rely on the notoriously poor choice in the January window we may get caught out.

For me therefore, whilst your point is very well made and got me thinking, I think we have to invest strongly now.

I love the "singings" typo. Makes me laugh every time :)

We are allegedly in for 6 at the moment (one probably being Pelle), but I doubt that we will sign half that. So I think:

1) CB

2) Another striker

3) Possibly CM or AM

I don't think they will be prioritising a replacement LB at all (not that I agree necessaily).

This is an interesting point worth considering. I think we'll potentially have lost x5 key players though so have to replace. But I see what you're getting at. My point though needs weighing up with this too. That is that if we demonstrate lack of ambition this summer and fail to replace with quality we may fail to stay out of the bottom half of the table (a strong possibility in my opinion - partly for the reasons you're articulating). If we haven't invested and rely on the notoriously poor choice in the January window we may get caught out.

For me therefore, whilst your point is very well made and got me thinking, I think we have to invest strongly now.

Realistically we're looking at 10th at best whatever we do, imo.

Regarding replacing players that have left, Lambo would have spent most of the season on the bench anyway, we've replaced Lallana, and either Targett or Chambers should be able to fill the gap left by Shaw.

If Morgan goes, we have plenty of other quality midfielders already, one or two of which struggled to get a game last season but who have loads of potential (Ramirez, Cork, Davis, JWP etc etc).

Agreed if Lovren goes, we need another defender. In fact we could do with at least one already anyway.

More than anything else we need a target man up front.

Yep, I agree, we should go for quality. No-one worth more than £20m is likely to consider a move to Saints, so I reckon we should spend £40m on a quality striker and a quality defender.

Much as I admire SaintRobbie's ambitions for the squad, I think there is about as much chance of the club bringing in 8 new players from outside as there is of us signing Messi. My guess would be 4, including Tadic, with the other gaps in the squad being filled by young players. If we are losing 5 first choice players you might expect to see 5 signings just to stand still, but we may be surprised by 2 or 3 development squad players coming in.

I love the "singings" typo. Makes me laugh every time :)

We are allegedly in for 6 at the moment (one probably being Pelle), but I doubt that we will sign half that. So I think:

1) CB

2) Another striker

3) Possibly CM or AM

I don't think they will be prioritising a replacement LB at all (not that I agree necessaily).

So you doubt we'll even sign half of 6 then you state you think we'll sign 3 players...:rolleyes:

If Lovren goes we will need IMO

1.CB, possibly one that can play LB aswell so Targett isn't relied on too much

2.LB (if CB signed is just an out and out CB)

3.1 or 2 Wingers with pace

4.2 or 3 strikers

CMs not needed we have 6 with Morgan so even if he goes there is no need to purchase another

Much as I admire SaintRobbie's ambitions for the squad, I think there is about as much chance of the club bringing in 8 new players from outside as there is of us signing Messi. My guess would be 4, including Tadic, with the other gaps in the squad being filled by young players. If we are losing 5 first choice players you might expect to see 5 signings just to stand still, but we may be surprised by 2 or 3 development squad players coming in.

That is the way it should be and will be - expect Harrison Reed to be the Morgan fill in behind Cork, Wanyama, Davis, JWP - Wanyama Cork Partnership was good when Morgan was missing last year. Isgrove tosetp up a bit and Jake Sinclair/Rowe on the bench.

Think Alpine is spot on with the rest - 2 forwards - Pelle/Ings wide man Redmond LB Blind/Robertson GK Ruddy

Cork and Fonte are very good proven premiership players who will be needed to hold everything together unless you would prefer 11 strangers starting at the beginning of the season. Bear in mine that we have a hit rate of about 50% with replacements and this is a tough league to come to.

That is the way it should be and will be - expect Harrison Reed to be the Morgan fill in behind Cork, Wanyama, Davis, JWP - Wanyama Cork Partnership was good when Morgan was missing last year. Isgrove tosetp up a bit and Jake Sinclair/Rowe on the bench.

Think Alpine is spot on with the rest - 2 forwards - Pelle/Ings wide man Redmond LB Blind/Robertson GK Ruddy

I'd go with that but think we need Pelle+Ings, Redmond, Blind/Robertson/Any top quality keeper who can pick a pass like Chile's one. Can't rely on just Pelle and Gallagher till Jay Rod is back

LB (Shaw replacement)

missing anything ??

I'd say whatever order keeps you happy...

Personally I think if we get Pelle in we could do with everything you've mentioned plus maybe another attacking mid.

Prof - thats what worries me, a lack of ambition. Scheiderlin has issued a challenge on behalf of us all to the Board. But, I think you might be right. The concern I have is that there is no guarantees we'll find extra quality in the notoriously poor January window.

Lb

Cb1

Fwd1

If Lovren goes another Cb2

Fwd2

Gk Boruc great, back up suspect, but a lot of PL back up is. Would like to see a younger keeper who CAN do a job learn the ropes behind Boruc for a season then take over next.

Like others I suspect we won't see anymore than 5.

Before we sold anyone, I'd have said we had a great team, but lacked squad depth so needed another striker to replace osvaldo, a back up left back if targett isn't good enough yet, a new centre back, and a keeper to compete with boruc. And to be greedy, another attacking midfielder / winger for the right hand side (ideally with some pace). Lamberts natural replacement for me is Gallagher, and we have replaced lallana with tadic, shaw can be covered by Clyne / chambers but I would like a direct replacement for him. If lovren goes we need another centre back. Ironically, the one we have the best chance of keeping (Morgan) is the one who wouldn't need a direct replacement given reed, jwp, Davis, wanyama and cork.

So IMHO we need: left back, striker and centre back if lovren goes.

And I'd like: a right winger, centre back and keeper. I wouldn't say no to another striker given j rods injury, but hope we can cope without him.

My biggest concern is that no transfer policy is fool proof, so some won't work out, and also that's a lot of new players. Just look at Sunderland, spurs and Norwich for examples of how a whole new team takes a while to gel.

Also, not seen a thread on who our new captain should be? Obviously depends on who's left but it's something we need to sort as well.