Rupert Lowe's legacy

Fitzhugh Fella

On 13/07/2021 at 19:11, Saint86 said:

Don't think Lowe was all that bad tbh. Kept the club going with a small stadium in a very competitive league. Shit hit the fan when the loan was called in. But he gave us the academy and SMS, thought outside the box (ala woodward), and his tenureship saw some great players and managers over the years. I don't think we'd be the club we are today without him, and i doubt we'd have been taken over by ML/NC without the stadium and academy - but purely speculative.

He didn't saddle us with several multimillion pound championship level squad players on long contracts or ruin the academy - so his legacy maybe looks better with time? Maybe if he'd called Woodward the Bald Box he'd have been more popular? But also, i was too young to really follow all the fallout at the time so fully prepared to get shot down for the above 😊... I do seem to recall it wasn't his fault we didn't resign hoddle at least?

Delgado

McCann

jackobson

van Damme

Nielsen

quasie 

£4m for Rory Delap FFS

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Delgado

McCann

jackobson

van Damme

Nielsen

quasie 

£4m for Rory Delap FFS

While McCant was a very poor signing wasn't Rupert actually backing his manager as Strachan was very keen on him? He also backed Arry in signing Quasie. Delgado did seem to be Rupert's own signing. In fairness, although it was a disaster it could have been a brilliant move. And I think we were aware of having missed out on Paulo Wanchope - who was actually a dreadful player who kept scoring against us. If Rupert has to carry the can for the poor signings then he has to be applauded for Niemi, both Svenssons, Beattie, Dean Richards, Kevin Phillips...

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

He's always been a UKIP type, I expect in elections gone by he's come close to losing his deposit at some point. Ultimately for me, his legacy is the stadium and academy, both of which gave us the platform for the exciting period under Liebherr. Imagine the cost of building a stadium like St Mary's today. We were treading water in the championship under him, but better than under the charlatan Mike Wilde - for once, Guided Missile was right about something.

A while ago I came across this video on Youtube but didn't bother posting at the time. Mark Dolan is quite out of his depth as the interviewer, not sure how he's got that gig as a comedian but I guess the channel chose to blow their budget on their 'stars' like Lee Anderson or Rees-Mogg. About two thirds of it consists of Lowe's (mostly rose-tinted) views on his time at Southampton. I was intrigued that he blamed phone-hacking for the Hoddle leak, also found interesting how he talks up the impact of foreigners like Georges Prost for us given his political stance.

20 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

He's always been a UKIP type, I expect in elections gone by he's come close to losing his deposit at some point. Ultimately for me, his legacy is the stadium and academy, both of which gave us the platform for the exciting period under Liebherr. Imagine the cost of building a stadium like St Mary's today. We were treading water in the championship under him, but better than under the charlatan Mike Wilde - for once, Guided Missile was right about something.

A while ago I came across this video on Youtube but didn't bother posting at the time. Mark Dolan is quite out of his depth as the interviewer, not sure how he's got that gig as a comedian but I guess the channel chose to blow their budget on their 'stars' like Lee Anderson or Rees-Mogg. About two thirds of it consists of Lowe's (mostly rose-tinted) views on his time at Southampton. I was intrigued that he blamed phone-hacking for the Hoddle leak, also found interesting how he talks up the impact of foreigners like Georges Prost for us given his political stance.

He's not wrong here. Another example of the big club bias argument could be FFP now, no doubt the structure is corrupt.