Saints 1 Espanyol 1

alehouseboys

My observations not criticisms.

Caulker was at fault for the first goal as he drifted in to the middle and seemed to want to play where Fonte was. He did look very nervous on the ball and obviously early days to settle. He won plenty in the air and should have scored with his header.

Martina was given a poor review on here when he signed, but to me he looked a decent and athletic player. The only thing i didnt like was that he did not hide his frustrations at his team-mates.

JWP was tidy and tried to dominate but too careful without trying the killer pass

Reed, i dont see what all the fuss is about and looked just ok, without the extra needed to be a top player. I hope it is down to pre season and I have got that wrong.

JRod, was obviously rusty and I felt was anxious if there was going to be a tackle.Hopefully once he gains a bit of confidence after a couple of heavy tackles that will clear his mind.

On a personal note I took my granddaughter to her first ever game (4yr old) and expected her to want to leave after 15mins but she loved it, great to see her punch the air after we scored lol.Where she learnt that i will never know.

My observations not criticisms.

Caulker was at fault for the first goal as he drifted in to the middle and seemed to want to play where Fonte was. He did look very nervous on the ball and obviously early days to settle. He won plenty in the air and should have scored with his header.

Martina was given a poor review on here when he signed, but to me he looked a decent and athletic player. The only thing i didnt like was that he did not hide his frustrations at his team-mates.

JWP was tidy and tried to dominate but too careful without trying the killer pass

Reed, i dont see what all the fuss is about and looked just ok, without the extra needed to be a top player. I hope it is down to pre season and I have got that wrong.

JRod, was obviously rusty and I felt was anxious if there was going to be a tackle.Hopefully once he gains a bit of confidence after a couple of heavy tackles that will clear his mind.

On a personal note I took my granddaughter to her first ever game (4yr old) and expected her to want to leave after 15mins but she loved it, great to see her punch the air after we scored lol.Where she learnt that i will never know.

Well done on introducing your granddaughter! I remember taking my son when he was about the same age (4 years old) and was glad I had a decent supply of Haribo... I had to wire him up on sugar to get him to be remotely interested. Thankfully he's a lot better now (11 years old) and actually wants to go.

When you said Martina didn't hide his frustrations, he made two good runs in the first half and was offered woeful return passes twice in a minute, one for a throw, the other straight out for a goalkick...the passing too him was quite poor throughout and I could understand why he might have wanted to ask what the F was going on occasionally. :)

Well done on introducing your granddaughter! I remember taking my son when he was about the same age (4 years old) and was glad I had a decent supply of Haribo... I had to wire him up on sugar to get him to be remotely interested. Thankfully he's a lot better now (11 years old) and actually wants to go.

It was a good game for the kids. Sun shining, J-Rod gets a good goal and enough of an atmosphere to keep them interested. I took my 6 year old twin boys, they had a better time than at the Leverkusen game this time last year!