Fonte

Edmonton Saint

No but then I wouldn't want Jose Fonte (or any other footballer) trying to care for me during a serious medical incident either. One kicks a footballer around the other does an actual job of importance HTBH.

you wouldn't want a nurse trying to care for 30,000-160,000,000 other people at the same time as dealing with your serious medical incident either.

No but then I wouldn't want Jose Fonte (or any other footballer) trying to care for me during a serious medical incident either. One kicks a footballer around the other does an actual job of importance HTBH.

You're mixing up importance of job with ones that society values. As skills go, it is easier to train someone to be a nurse than it is a Premier League footballer. Thus, they are paid accordingly. No-one said this meant a Premier League footballers profession was more important.

Seeing as a club doesn't have much change left at the end of a season, this is clearly wrong.

Until a teams wages to turnover ratio is near 75/80%, the players are probably underpaid. It's the transfer fees that mean the players lose out in my opinion.

Really can't believe anyone thinks PL footballers are underpaid :lol:

I think the point is you have to look at the revenue they generate before deciding if they aren't worth what they earn per week. Yes they get loads of money but if we just stick to the facts then collectively the Premier league makes billions and they are the main reason for that.

But unfortunately a nurse doesn't make money the way a premier league footballer does.

Irrespective of how much money football generates, I would find it hard to argue that Premiership footballers are actually worth paying tens of thousands of pounds a week when people in the public sector, because, in the main, it doesn't generate money, people are paid relatively poorly. There is no written rule to say that clubs have to spend so much on wages, they just do. They could equally decide to spend their TV revenue on lowering ticket prices but instead they continue to pay over inflated salaries.

I also don't buy into this they only have a short career so they are entitled to it nonsense. No one has a job for life anymore and we all end up losing jobs and having to find others. Why should it be any different for someone who kicks a football around? There is no reason why they shouldn't have to find themselves another job once they stop playing. Players did back in the 80s.

Irrespective of how much money football generates, I would find it hard to argue that Premiership footballers are actually worth paying tens of thousands of pounds a week when people in the public sector, because, in the main, it doesn't generate money, people are paid relatively poorly. There is no written rule to say that clubs have to spend so much on wages, they just do. They could equally decide to spend their TV revenue on lowering ticket prices but instead they continue to pay over inflated salaries.

I also don't buy into this they only have a short career so they are entitled to it nonsense. No one has a job for life anymore and we all end up losing jobs and having to find others. Why should it be any different for someone who kicks a football around? There is no reason why they shouldn't have to find themselves another job once they stop playing. Players did back in the 80s.

It is a case of demand and supply. There is a demand to watch football. There is even more demand to watch Premier League football. There are only a very small amount of footballers in the world capable of playing to the standard required. Thus, they get paid a lot.

If anyone could be a Premier League footballer then wages would be considerably smaller. But they can't, so the best get paid the best. It's like that in any industry for any role. No-one is arguing who makes a greater contribution to society, but wages have NEVER been reflective of importance to society.

Watch what happens to Premier League wages if people all of a sudden stop going to games and stop paying Sky £100 a month to watch it on TV in this country and whatever they're paying around the world.

As for footballers having a short career, they do - and why would anyone begrudge them making as much money as they can from their ability?

Until a teams wages to turnover ratio is near 75/80%, the players are probably underpaid. It's the transfer fees that mean the players lose out in my opinion.

The transfer fees which enable them to increase their salary considerably? The transfer fees they receive considerably loyalty payments from? Football clubs, because of the way success is engineered, are by and large loss making outfits (or they have been historically). I'm not convinced that a case for underpayment can be made in such an environment. Besides, no individual player can realistically claim a certain amount of responsibility for X amount of money generated, so their salary should only really be measured against that of their peers, rather than the billions generated/overall honeypot.

As for footballers having a short career' date=' they do - and why would anyone begrudge them making as much money as they can from their ability?[/quote']

You are verging on the silly argument that football players use to justify earning silly money. PL players on average earn 90 times the average UK wage. If Rooney's wage is to be believed, earns more like 600 times the average UK wage. And that is but part of their income. I was speaking to a banker who looks after many of them, and he said that the wage of the top players was about a quarter of what they earned - that may well be an embellishment, but there is advertising, image rights, etc etc.

Let me ask you, they may well have a short playing career, does that preclude them from being able to find another job after their playing career ends? And really, if a player suddenly was told that no player was going to earn £50k+ but had to suffice with £20k a week, how many do you think would turn around and say "sod it, I'm not going to play football for that amount" (and yes, I realise that if wage caps were brought in, they would ply their trade elsewhere where there were no caps). Hell, if you paid them only £1k a week that is still twice the national wage and probably a lot more than most of the people they grew up with earn.

You are verging on the silly argument that football players use to justify earning silly money. PL players on average earn 90 times the average UK wage. If Rooney's wage is to be believed, earns more like 600 times the average UK wage. And that is but part of their income. I was speaking to a banker who looks after many of them, and he said that the wage of the top players was about a quarter of what they earned - that may well be an embellishment, but there is advertising, image rights, etc etc.

Let me ask you, they may well have a short playing career, does that preclude them from being able to find another job after their playing career ends? And really, if a player suddenly was told that no player was going to earn £50k+ but had to suffice with £20k a week, how many do you think would turn around and say "sod it, I'm not going to play football for that amount" (and yes, I realise that if wage caps were brought in, they would ply their trade elsewhere where there were no caps). Hell, if you paid them only £1k a week that is still twice the national wage and probably a lot more than most of the people they grew up with earn.

So just because the average wage of the UK worker is 25k a year, footballers shouldn't try and earn as much money as they can in their career from a skill they have which is in demand? Would you extend that to other millionaires in all guises? All sportsmen and women, all entertainers (actors, singers, musicians). What about our multi-millionaires in business - should they retire and stop making money the moment they are comfortable?

Of course not.

In fact, should you or I be offered a wage rise and we already have comfortable lives, should we turn it down?

The argument is absolute nonsense. It doesn't matter if you already have £10m in the bank, you want more.

I take if that if you won the lottery you'd give it all away to those worse off than you?

So just because the average wage of the UK worker is 25k a year' date=' footballers shouldn't try and earn as much money as they can in their career from a skill they have which is in demand? [/quote']

That isn't what I said.

Would you extend that to other millionaires in all guises? All sportsmen and women' date=' all entertainers (actors, singers, musicians). What about our multi-millionaires in business - should they retire and stop making money the moment they are comfortable? [/quote']

No

Of course not.

Agree

In fact' date=' should you or I be offered a wage rise and we already have comfortable lives, should we turn it down?[/quote']

No

The argument is absolute nonsense. It doesn't matter if you already have £10m in the bank' date=' you want more.[/quote']

Agree, but that is your argument, not mine.

I take if that if you won the lottery you'd give it all away to those worse off than you?

I doubt it.

There is nothing to stop them getting another job when they retire' date=' if they can change profession.[/quote']

Bingo.

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't earn as much as they can from their chosen profession' date=' does it?[/quote']

No, and I never said it did.

Perhaps I should have added to my post "the silly argument that football players use to justify earning silly money...as if they are incapable of taking on another job after they stop playing". However I thought that that might have been obvious when asking the further questions.

Bingo.

No, and I never said it did.

Perhaps I should have added to my post "the silly argument that football players use to justify earning silly money...as if they are incapable of taking on another job after they stop playing". However I thought that that might have been obvious when asking the further questions.

It's not a silly argument though is it?

It's like saying to Usain Bolt: "You're the fastest man on the planet but you really shouldn't be charging events £500k to have you compete - did you know that when you retire you can retrain to be a taxi driver and still have an income?"