Reaching the Europa Lge...

saint lard

Isn't this simpler: If we finish 7th, and both the League Cup and FA Cup are won by teams in the top 6 (doesn't matter who), we qualify for Europa.

And if Liverpool win this year's Europa League and finish 5-7, along with the FA Cup and league Cup being won by teams in the top 7, wouldn't 8th qualify for Europa? The PL would get 5 CL spots and 3 Europa spots I think (unless the 3 Europa spots get reduced to 2).

Not quite. Tottenham and Man U should be included with Liverpool and if one of them wins Europa but finishes out of the top four and Man City, Chelsea, or Arsenal win the champions league but finish out of the top four then the Europa champion doesn't qualify for the Champions League. (That was the rule last year. I am assuming it didn't change. It is also so unlikely that it doesn't matter really.)

And, if we finish 6th and either the League Cup or the FA Cup are won by teams in the top 5 (doesn't matter who), we qualify for Europa.

saints results seem to run in clear patterns ie either dog poo or brilliant - in November we were top of the form table - then in Dec we were dog poo and couldnt win (except Arse) and then in Jan we were great - last season it was similar but the runs lasted longer.

If we have another Dec run we could easily end up in 14 however if we continue our current run I think we could pip 5th

Over to you Ronald et al

I think the prediction is about right. 45 points, but I am not sure what position that will leave us in.

Not quite. Tottenham and Man U should be included with Liverpool and if one of them wins Europa but finishes out of the top four and Man City, Chelsea, or Arsenal win the champions league but finish out of the top four then the Europa champion doesn't qualify for the Champions League. (That was the rule last year. I am assuming it didn't change. It is also so unlikely that it doesn't matter really.)

And, if we finish 6th and either the League Cup or the FA Cup are won by teams in the top 5 (doesn't matter who), we qualify for Europa.

That is indeed correct. For simplicity I assumed Man City would finish in the top 4 and neither Arsenal or Chelsea would win the CL (the most probable outcome).

Can people please stop acting like our immediate form with carry on indefinitely? People did it when we were on a bad run, convincing themselves we were going to get relegated, and are doing it now.

Europe has got to be the target and we are capable, but competition is really tough at the moment.

Can people please stop acting like our immediate form with carry on indefinitely? People did it when we were on a bad run, convincing themselves we were going to get relegated, and are doing it now.

Europe has got to be the target and we are capable, but competition is really tough at the moment.

They're not, they're discussing European permutations, not even referencing Saints at all in most cases.

Anyone assuming our current form will carry on indefinitely would be predicting that we would make the Champions League this year and win the League title next year. I think people are merely predicting/hoping we would finish out the year doing about as well as we did for the last two plus seasons which would put us in the high 50s--a point total which might very well make Europe this year.

Edited by Redslo
well for good

Anyone assuming our current form will carry on indefinitely would be predicting that we would make the Champions League this year and win the League title next year. I think people are merely predicting/hoping we would finish out the year doing about as well as we did for the last two plus seasons which would put us in the high 50s--a point total which might very well make Europe this year.

Yep - I'm with you there.

Beating all the teams not in the top 6 was good enough to get us challenging the top 6 last season.

If we can keep tight defensively and regularly beat the others for the rest of the season we shouldn't be too worried what the top sides are doing.