Greetings from The Athletic

Anka

Dan Sheldon's second piece of work for the Athletic covering saints leaves much to be desired. 

"the festive period should be a run of games where Southampton feel as though they can go on a run, especially as they are only playing two of the premier leagues top 6 sides. 

December starts at Brighton, and is followed by matches against Sheffield United, arsenal (FYI Dan - they aren't a top 6 side), Fulham, and west ham."

Poor writing, factually incorrect, and I wouldn't confidently predict a run of wins from games that have man City and arsenal in the middle of them.  If he had taken 20min to proof this it would have been worth it.

Anka will continue to be missed it seems. Bit of a change up for Dan, hopefully he gets himself going in no time!

Edited by Saint86

29 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Dan Sheldon's second piece of work for the Athletic covering saints leaves much to be desired. 

"the festive period should be a run of games where Southampton feel as though they can go on a run, especially as they are only playing two of the premier leagues top 6 sides. 

December starts at Brighton, and is followed by matches against Sheffield United, arsenal (FYI Dan - they aren't a top 6 side), Fulham, and west ham."

Poor writing, factually incorrect, and I wouldn't confidently predict a run of wins from games that have man City and arsenal in the middle of them. 

Anka will continue to be missed it seems. Bit of a change up for Dan, hopefully he gets himself going in no time!

This is the first time in over a quarter of a century that Arsenal have finished outside the top 6. I think it's reasonable to describe them as a top 6 side.

Seems pretty harsh to lay into him for that.

Edited by SaintMB

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Poor writing, factually incorrect, and I wouldn't confidently predict a run of wins from games that have man City and arsenal in the middle of them.  If he had taken 20min to proof this it would have been worth it.

You need to get out more

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Just a tiny bit pedantic...

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Shall we go through all of Anka's mistakes and poor writing (there was plenty) or you know...shall we get over ourselves?

I subscribed to "The Athletic" last week on the £2.50 a month deal.  Been impressed so far and Carl's articles were very decent - informative and added something other than just regurgitation of the usual crap on the web.  If I'm honest then Dan's two so far have been a bit bland - didn't reveal anything I didn't already know and neither did he venture an opinion which made me think.  Hopefully gets better soon though.

On 17/08/2020 at 07:43, Saint86 said:

Anka has been the best journalist covering saints in years. Dan was working for the echo which people routinely bemoaned on here... Nothing against Dan and hope he can step up with greater resources at his disposal...but this all feels very mane / redmond like. 

I think that’s quite harsh on Adam Leitch to be fair - his coverage was excellent - particularly during the lower league days when access to stats etc was much harder than today