Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

I want to beleive as many true things and as few false things as possible. If someone thinks something I believe is false and has a good reason to think that then it benefits me from hearing a challenge to my belief. To want to go unchallenege is doing a version of this...

giphy.gif

If a belief someone holds can't hold up-to scrutiny then it is pretty flimsy belief.

Religions brainwash people into not accepting criticism in order to protect themselves. Which is why the Bible has passages to protect itself from criticism.

Unfortunately mr wrong what you completely fail to comprehend is you won’t find the answers to a belief system in a computer algorithm or a spreadsheet formula. You don’t understand the difference between a fact and a belief do you.

I have a right to challenge it because we live in a free country.

Are they praying for god to change his mind? Under an all knowing god by definition we don't have free will and god already knows what will happen, so prayer is flawed and pointless even if god did exist.

Why don’t you go down your local mosque on a Friday afternoon and ask them what the f*ck they are doing? It’s you’re right to do so.

Stop trying to backtrack after being caught out posting anti Semitic memes.

Classic Turkish, ignoring the post and going back to an old post.

At no point did I say Passover was solely a celebration of Egyptian babies dying. But the name Passover is due to the baby killing god passing over the Jewish houses and is celebrating their babies not being killed by the baby killing god.

Saying that the Jews worship a baby killing god is not anti-Semitic. Do you deny the Torah says god killed babies?

I have a right to challenge it because we live in a free country.

Are they praying for god to change his mind? Under an all knowing god by definition we don't have free will and god already knows what will happen, so prayer is flawed and pointless even if god did exist.

Mate, you are full of assumptions and your challenges are based largely on those.

You assume that people pray for themselves. Most people pray only for others. My neighbour, praying only for peace of others, does not impact on you or anyone. If I'm wrong, explain, and tell me why you have any right to challenge or police what she believes and her private right to prayer.

Mate, you are full of assumptions and your challenges are based largely on those.

You assume that people pray for themselves. Most people pray only for others. My neighbour, praying only for peace of others, does not impact on you or anyone. If I'm wrong, explain, and tell me why you have any right to challenge or police what she believes and her private right to prayer.

You didn't answer my question... Are they praying for god to change his mind? Under an all knowing god by definition we don't have free will and god already knows what will happen, so prayer is flawed and pointless even if god did exist.

You didn't answer my question... Are they praying for god to change his mind? Under an all knowing god by definition we don't have free will and god already knows what will happen, so prayer is flawed and pointless even if god did exist.

You're completely swerving this, again. Answer a really, really simple and direct question. Answer it with an answer, not a deflecting question.

Q. How does my neighbour, praying only for peace of others (not asking for God to change anyone's mind), impact on you or anyone? When you have the grace to accept that it doesn't, then please explain why you have any right to challenge or police what she believes and her private right to prayer.

Mosques are closed Turkish... we are in a lockdown! ;)

What a knobbish reply. Have you ever done it? Why not do it after lockdown?

Classic Turkish, ignoring the post and going back to an old post.

At no point did I say Passover was solely a celebration of Egyptian babies dying. But the name Passover is due to the baby killing god passing over the Jewish houses and is celebrating their babies not being killed by the baby killing god.

Saying that the Jews worship a baby killing god is not anti-Semitic. Do you deny the Torah says god killed babies?

You posted a meme which said “Passover, god killing babies but not Jewish ones”

Then repeated those words yourself in your own typing.

What you’ve made blatantly obvious the last few days, despite boasting about having a masters degree you don’t understand very basic things. You don’t either know what that Passover is, you’re either ignorant or anti Semitic and you don’t know the different between a fact and a belief.

Also... what assumptions are you claiming I've made?

Many. The assumptions are based on your posts. And no, don't ask me to quote them, I have better things to do.

But briefly, your comments appear to show that you assume that people pray for themselves, for god to change people's minds, that they pray to one particular god, that people who pray subscribe to religion etc etc.

If you don't have those assumptions, then I have no idea why you're like a dog with a bone on this subject.

Many. The assumptions are based on your posts. And no, don't ask me to quote them, I have better things to do.

Don't make a claim and fail to back it up.

But briefly, your comments appear to show that you assume that people pray for themselves, for god to change people's minds, that they pray to one particular god, that people who pray subscribe to religion etc etc.

1) At no point did I say people solely pray for themselves

2) At no point did I say they subscribe to religion (by this I guess you mean organised religion)

3) If they aren't praying for god to change his mind... what are they praying for?

If you don't have those assumptions, then I have no idea why you're like a dog with a bone on this subject.

Well you've assumed I said they only pray for themselves... when I did not say that.

What a knobbish reply. Have you ever done it? Why not do it after lockdown?

I have had conversations with Muslims who were happy to chat about it about belief before. Don't need to go to Friday prayers at a mosque to do that.

You posted a meme which said “Passover, god killing babies but not Jewish ones”

Then repeated those words yourself in your own typing.

You don’t either know what that Passover is, you’re either ignorant or anti Semitic and you don’t know the different between a fact and a belief.

Yet again you refuse to answer a question. I'll try... again... :rolleyes:

MLG, for about the 5th time :

Q. How does my neighbour, praying only for peace of others (not asking for God to change anyone's mind), impact on you or anyone? When you have the grace to accept that it doesn't, then please explain why you have any right to challenge or police what she believes and her private right to prayer

Don't make a claim and fail to back it up.

1) At no point did I say people solely pray for themselves

2) At no point did I say they subscribe to religion (by this I guess you mean organised religion)

3) If they aren't praying for god to change his mind... what are they praying for?

[/color]Well you've assumed I said they only pray for themselves... when I did not say that.

Deary me. Just read back at your various comments / questions on this thread, and then re read what you've just written.

MLG, for about the 5th time :

Q. How does my neighbour, praying only for peace of others (not asking for God to change anyone's mind), impact on you or anyone? When you have the grace to accept that it doesn't, then please explain why you have any right to challenge or police what she believes and her private right to prayer

I didn't say for god to change someone's mind... I said for god to change his mind.

Praying for peace is asking for god to change his mind.

I didn't say for god to change someone's mind... I said for god to change his mind.

Praying for peace is asking for god to change his mind.

Just focus on the prayer being for peace for others. No mind changing. Just peace.

6th time :

Just focus on the prayer being for peace for others. No mind changing. Just peace.

6th time :

Again.... I said it would require god to change his mind... not God changing someone else's mind.

How can a prayer to god result in peace unless he acts on it? For him to act on it he would need to change his mind... yet if he is all knowing he already knows what he will do. So prayer is pointless.

Again.... I said it would require god to change his mind... not God changing someone else's mind.

How can a prayer to god result in peace unless he acts on it? For him to act on it he would need to change his mind... yet if he is all knowing he already knows what he will do. So prayer is pointless.

I won't ask for a 7th time. I'll drawer an inference from your persistent refusal to answer as an acknowledgement that someones prayer for someone else to have peace, does not impact upon you. When you an argument to the contrary, come and explain.

I won't ask for a 7th time. I'll drawer an inference from your persistent refusal to answer as an acknowledgement that someones prayer for someone else to have peace, does not impact upon you. When you an argument to the contrary, come and explain.

People believing in things that aren't true is not helpful to society. If you are willing to accept prayer can bring peace then you are more likely to not think humans are the reason why peace happens and won't work towards that.

People believing in things that aren't true is not helpful to society. If you are willing to accept prayer can bring peace then you are more likely to not think humans are the reason why peace happens and won't work towards that.

Says the person that devotes his life to a computer game :lol:

If you want to debate mate, you have be willing to answer questions even when the answer fecks your argument. If prayer by person a for peace for person b gives comfort / peace to person a, you know full well that it causes you no harm. Sure, it may well be misguided in your opinion, but it has feck all to do with you and/or causes you know no prejudice.

If you want to debate mate, you have be willing to answer questions even when the answer fecks your argument. If prayer by person a for peace for person b gives comfort / peace to person a, you know full well that it causes you no harm. Sure, it may well be misguided in your opinion, but it has feck all to do with you and/or causes you know no prejudice.

False comfort is not helpful, it stunts human development to actual answers.

Oh the irony.

His tactic is to answer every question with a question, accuse others of not answering his, then when its gets a bit on top for him, like the other day when he was outed as an anti Semite he’ll disappear for a few days, ignoring everything that’s gone before and if anyone else mentions it he’ll accuse them of not answering his latest point. It’s quite tragic.

False comfort is not helpful, it stunts human development to actual answers.
Lol. What's false comfort? You either feel comfort and all the potential benefits that can have both physically and emotionally or you don't. Would you rather that the person praying derived no comfort from it at all just to make you feel better about how false the comfort they felt was? I know you have real trouble with the concept of emotions but most people can work it out. Edited by hypochondriac

Lots of people have religious experiences at Easter and also an increase in psychotic episodes.

Heightened time for MLG as the lord is tapping him on the shoulder

We've got to be careful. We can't have people feeling a false sense of peace and love. We need to expose those falsehoods and make sure they feel very real feelings of disquiet and shame.

Comfort in something that doesn't manifest in reality.
My cousin loves santa Claus. It comforts him to believe in santa and the presents he might get at Christmas. I'm going to make sure he knows that santa isn't real and he's a fool for deriving false comfort from somethibg that doesn't manifest in reality. How dare he.

My cousin loves santa Claus. It comforts him to believe in santa and the presents he might get at Christmas. I'm going to make sure he knows that santa isn't real and he's a fool for deriving false comfort from somethibg that doesn't manifest in reality. How dare he.

It potentially sets people up for being gullible in later life and believing a whole host of things without evidence. From fairies to gods and messiahs.

It potentially sets people up for being gullible in later life and believing a whole host of things without evidence. From fairies to gods and messiahs.

are you suggesting that anyone who believe is religion is gullible?

If people get comfort from praying than the reality is they have real comfort.

My point is that it is built on something without foundation. I'd rather believe as many true things and as few false things as possible... wouldn't you?

Why do you always refuse to answer what you believe and why regarding god?

My point is that it is built on something without foundation. I'd rather believe as many true things and as few false things as possible... wouldn't you?

Because my personal beliefs are or no relevance to this discussion, or any of your business.

You said it’s a false comfort and doesn’t manifest itself in reality, but if someone prays and finds comfort from prayer, then it is a reality for them,

are you suggesting that anyone who believe is religion is gullible?

Not suggesting... I am saying it. It is gullible to believe any religion full of contradictions and riddled with plot holes. Christianity isn't alone in contradictions and plot holes.

If you have some evidence of a religion without plot holes, has supporting evidence and doesn't contradict itself I'd love to hear about it!

So... do you?

So should we be doing away with the Easter bunny and santa Claus? After all we wouldn't want people potentially being guillable in later life would we? Perish the thought.

Not suggesting... I am saying it. It is gullible to believe any religion full of contradictions and riddled with plot holes. Christianity isn't alone in contradictions and plot holes.

If you have some evidence of a religion without plot holes, has supporting evidence and doesn't contradict itself I'd love to hear about it!

So... do you?

So just to be clear, you think every single one of the 1.5m Muslims in the role are gullible?

Because my personal beliefs are or no relevance to this discussion, or any of your business.

It is very relevant to a discussion about beliefs to know the position of someone.

My position is... I don't believe any god claim has met it's burden of proof. That is not the same as saying there is no god.

You said it’s a false comfort and doesn’t manifest itself in reality, but if someone prays and finds comfort from prayer, then it is a reality for them,

I'd rather live believing in things that correspond to reality. Making up comforting things is asking for disaster as it limits your motivation to actually do something yourself to iprove your situation as you think there is a chance god will sort it out for you.

It is very relevant to a discussion about beliefs to know the position of someone.

My position is... I don't believe any god claim has met it's burden of proof. That is not the same as saying there is no god.

I'd rather live believing in things that correspond to reality. Making up comforting things is asking for disaster as it limits your motivation to actually do something yourself to iprove your situation as you think there is a chance god will sort it out for you.

You would, but why does mean to someone who takes comfort in prayer that comfort is not reality? It’s reality to them,

So just to be clear, you think every single one of the 1.5m Muslims in the role are gullible?

Yes, things like believing Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse is gullible. They are more than welcome to show me otherwise. Same with Christians, Hindus etc etc with the claims in their holy books.

You would, but why does mean to someone who takes comfort in prayer that comfort is not reality? It’s reality to them,

There is no 'my reality', reality is the same for all of us. In reality there is no credible evidence that prayer works. In fact the counter is true, it has been shown under scientific conditions prayer has a negative impact on medical conditions, perhaps through performance anxiety having a negative impact if people know they are being prayed for.

People claim prayer heals cancer, but we know that cancer can go into remission on its own. Why has prayer never grown a limb back for an amputee?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blasphemy and Duck Rape