Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

Well apparently he’s engaged so I’m guessing he’s tried it. Unless he’s saving himself for the marriage night, which is incredibly Christian of him.

I wonder what Mrs MLG says when she’s about to climax? Surely any utterance of the lords name would be met with a swift reprimand and a reminder as to who really was provided the overwhelming sexual excitement she is currently feeling

Religion is obviously a load of b*ll*x but if people want to make life choices based around centuries old works of fiction that’s fine by me.

Churches do a lot of good, I think a fair amount of people, especially the elderly go purely because it’s free, gets them out the house and makes them feel part of something.

The bit I get stuck on and I have never been able to square this circle is how are you tolerant towards intolerance? I believe that being tolerant of others is a virtue, but how can you then tolerate intolerance. By allowing people that will not tolerate you or your way of life or opinions use their position to impose their will because if there is enough of them that is what happens. It happens on forums where if there is to much permitted the quality of the experience is diminished as to make it worthless using (say spam postings, constant attacks on others etc) or drowns out someone who has a different point of view until they are hounded out.

All this is fine while the tolerant is in the majority, when the intolerant are in the ascendancy all sorts of bad things can happen and one danger we face is allowing the intolerant to use the leavers of tolerance to achieve there aims.

The bit I get stuck on and I have never been able to square this circle is how are you tolerant towards intolerance? I believe that being tolerant of others is a virtue, but how can you then tolerate intolerance. By allowing people that will not tolerate you or your way of life or opinions use their position to impose their will because if there is enough of them that is what happens. It happens on forums where if there is to much permitted the quality of the experience is diminished as to make it worthless using (say spam postings, constant attacks on others etc) or drowns out someone who has a different point of view until they are hounded out.

All this is fine while the tolerant is in the majority, when the intolerant are in the ascendancy all sorts of bad things can happen and one danger we face is allowing the intolerant to use the leavers of tolerance to achieve there aims.

Indeed. Let's be glad that the momentum lot never got anywhere near power.

Haven't you heard of the tolerance paradox??!

Kinda fatuous reply but what I have come to expect.

In what way? Most people I know are borderline atheist. Most would describe themselves as humanist and they are as tolerant as any other person you might meet.

Edited by Jonnyboy

In what way? Most people I know are borderline atheist. Most would describe themselves as humanist and they are as tolerant as any other person you might meet.

Using an extreme. Yes ISIS are probably not a great example of tolerance.

There is a lot of kindness and generosity borne from religious beliefs whatever people may disagree about motives.

I maybe unfairly am bracketing you with the humanist campus nuts who can’t handle hearing Jordan Peterson and others inflict their micro aggressions - this basically appears to be someone who may have a different world view. They are the sort of people whose tolerance worries me far more than those who may believe in religious fairly tales.

There is a lot of kindness and generosity borne from religious beliefs whatever people may disagree about motives.

I maybe unfairly am bracketing you with the humanist campus nuts who can’t handle hearing Jordan Peterson and others inflict their micro aggressions - this basically appears to be someone who may have a different world view. They are the sort of people whose tolerance worries me far more than those who may believe in religious fairly tales.

Additionally many have already pointed out how that sort of thing takes a similar form to religion.

Just seen a GP on telly talking about how she was infected with CV-19 whilst on duty and has made a recovery. During her toughest times when she thought she was going to die she said her mantra was "breath, meditate, pray" a doctor relying on the power of prayer when she thought she was going to die. Who'd have thought it.....

I think most atheists among us has showed more tolerance than anyone to be honest. From a young age pretty much all of us have had religious beliefs forced upon us, forced to sing hymns at school, forced to do numerous religious based activities, there are still parts of our life being influenced by a load of ****ed up fairy tales from centuries ago - atheists have every right to have a bit of a chip their shoulder but still most don't.

I'm more agnostic than anything, I used to be anti-religion because of all the wars and misery it has caused but I do understand the good to does so am not really bothered either way.

I think most atheists among us has showed more tolerance than anyone to be honest. From a young age pretty much all of us have had religious beliefs forced upon us, forced to sing hymns at school, forced to do numerous religious based activities, there are still parts of our life being influenced by a load of ****ed up fairy tales from centuries ago - atheists have every right to have a bit of a chip their shoulder but still most don't.

I'm more agnostic than anything, I used to be anti-religion because of all the wars and misery it has caused but I do understand the good to does so am not really bothered either way.

I think you would find the vast majority of war and human suffering has had very little to do with religion and much to do with geopolitics.

I think you would find the vast majority of war and human suffering has had very little to do with religion and much to do with geopolitics.

I dunno, religion has played a part in wars for centuries, from the Spanish Inquisition through to ISIS today. Like Geopolitics it creates division.

Just seen a GP on telly talking about how she was infected with CV-19 whilst on duty and has made a recovery. During her toughest times when she thought she was going to die she said her mantra was "breath, meditate, pray" a doctor relying on the power of prayer when she thought she was going to die. Who'd have thought it.....

Good for her, finally the proof that MLG has been looking for that God really does exist. I assume she didn't bother with a ventilator given the divine intervention?

If god created everything... he created the virus. Praying to such an evil god seems odd, he doesn't deserve praise.

So what will you do when they see the light and turn to God?

Because judging by your extreme reactions to me and my faith you’ll end up disowning each other?

Hard to see how someone with a rational upbringing from birth would suddenly switch to believing things with no evidence. Which of the thousands of man made gods are you saying they will follow? If they reduce the level of evidence they are willing to accept for one god, the same low level of evidence applies to all the other man made gods.

Religious, yes. True Christians, no, we’re anything but intolerant.

And judging by Le Moodhoover’s massive overreactions he’ll have an incredibly hard time accepting it.

Is your god tolerant? If you think he is... why is he a mass murderer in the Bible? He wipes out huge numbers of people in the flood and many other examples throughout the horrific book.

If god created everything... he created the virus. Praying to such an evil god seems odd, he doesn't deserve praise.

Who is harmed by that GP praying?

What does it have to do with you or anyone?

Your conception of the god that you believe in is that it was the creator of everything. Its odd that you have any concept of something you do not believe exists.

For those that believe in a god, they may or not believe that God to be the creator of anything.

You neeitk move away from your own views and amalgamation of god/religion/prayer.

Who is harmed by that GP praying?

What does it have to do with you or anyone?

Why do you think I've said all prayer is harmful?

Do you think god created everything? Do you think he created the virus? For what 'good' reason would he create a universe where such viruses exist? The Bible outlines god as a mass murderer... so at least creating a deadly virus fits his profile!

Your conception of the god that you believe in is that it was the creator of everything. Its odd that you have any concept of something you do not believe exists.

For those that believe in a god, they may or not believe that God to be the creator of anything.

You neeitk move away from your own views and amalgamation of god/religion/prayer.

Not merely 'my own views'! You'll find it hard to find many Chrisitans, Jews or Muslims that don't think god created everything!

The holy books of all three state god created everything!

No you wouldn't.

:mcinnes:

Page 1 of the Bible... God created everything

Are you saying Christians and Jews don't believe page 1? Where are these none Bible believing Christians? The Bible is the foundation of the religions, without it we wouldn't know about the myths. No mention of Jesus outside the Bible from any contemporary source.

Are you saying Christians and Jews don't believe page 1? Where are these none Bible believing Christians? The Bible is the foundation of the religions, without it we wouldn't know about the myths. No mention of Jesus outside the Bible from any contemporary source.

Did god create the device you are reading this on? Did god create the car you drive?

Not merely 'my own views'! You'll find it hard to find many Chrisitans, Jews or Muslims that don't think god created everything!

The holy books of all three state god created everything!

Sure Christians believe in the Bible and God.

But many people who pray do not follow any religion, or subscribe to the beliefs of any. Many also don't believe that God is the creator of anything.

Do you think god created everything? Do you think he created the virus? For what 'good' reason would he create a universe where such viruses exist? The Bible outlines god as a mass murderer... so at least creating a deadly virus fits his profile!

I'm not letting you off the subject of prayer mate. I still want you to explain who was harmed by that prayer example I gave you. Or acknowledge that nobody would have been. I'll address another issue once you finally deal with that.

You obviously dont know what page one says as you've misquoted it. So yet again all the statements you make, fact and assumptions you make are based on your own lack of comprehension. I'd stick to being mugged off on stadium expansion threads if i were you.

Sure Christians believe in the Bible and God.

But many people who pray do not follow any religion, or subscribe to the beliefs of any. Many also don't believe that God is the creator of anything.

Then what are they praying for? Surely they are praying for a supreme being to interfere to ensure something bad doesn't happen / ensure something good does happen. If not that, then surely they are praying for their 'afterlife' to be good (particularly selfish)? If they don't follow any religion or believe in God, what exactly are they expecting to happen when they pray?

Then what are they praying for? Surely they are praying for a supreme being to interfere to ensure something bad doesn't happen / ensure something good does happen. If not that, then surely they are praying for their 'afterlife' to be good (particularly selfish)? If they don't follow any religion or believe in God, what exactly are they expecting to happen when they pray?

You'd need to ask them but it could be peace for another, or for suffering to stop, or direction, or anything, but what does it matter to anyone? Sure, if they've got a poorly child and pray for divine intervention and avoiding a medic then that's effecting someone, but praying that their poorly child who's in a hospital, for example, gets well does nobody any harm.

Who says that they are praying for anything directly for themselves? You're falling into the MLG position of your assumptions clouding an objective view.

The bottom line is that if prayer gives someone some kind of comfort or peace, where is the harm?

On the last bit, people believe in God without believing in any particular religion. Others believe in a God that's a God that they choose to believe in, not necessarily your understanding of what they may believe is God. Either way, it impacts on nobody else thus its a private matter for them.

Edited by egg

Are you seriously questioning the historicity of Jesus? There is almost universal consensus he existed.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blasphemy and Duck Rape