Gas & Electricity Charges

spyinthesky

Anyone coming to the end of their power supply contract?

I am with Scottish Power and my Dual Fuel agreement is due for renewal in February,

My current monthly payment is £123 and their 'best' offer for 12 months from next February is £248 per month just over double what I'm paying at the moment.

I have gone on a couple of comparison sites only to be told that they are currently not in a position to offer any suggested deals.

One thing I dont understand is there is supposed to be a cap on fuel supply prices until April so increases should not kick in until then unless I have misread the details.

Anyone in the same position or have more information to impart please?

Ours ended last month. Bad timing :)

The best advice currently is to remain on your variable rate until prices normalise. Most suppliers have removed fixed price offering or increased their prices to such an extent that they offer no benefit over the variable rate. Not a good solution but at least we can still benefit from the existing cap. I spend a fortune on my electricity/fuel anyway, so it’s just a cost I have to bear. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

One thing I dont understand is there is supposed to be a cap on fuel supply prices until April so increases should not kick in until then unless I have misread the details.

The rate cap went up in October and it’ll go up even more in April. The price in April will be based on wholesale energy prices Aug-Jan and they’ve already gone through the roof, unless there’s a miracle and they drop in Dec & Jan, April will be painful. I guess you could try and fix above the cap now, but below where you think it will be after April, but as you say, finding a fix is easier said than done. The advice seems to be to stick with the variable capped rate. But prepare for big increase in April 

• Like 1