Saints v Fulham 1976

alehouseboys

An opportunity for some of us oldies to get all nostalgic for a bit of yesteryear - Saints v Fulham 1976 on 'The Big Match Revisited' tomorrow 17.50 on ITV4. And a chance for you nippers to take in an old match at The Dell.

Second division, they were flying, we were bottom (yet to win), they bowl up with George Best, Rodney Marsh and Bobby Moore in their side! Don't like to ruin it but we stuffed 'em 4-1, Best sent off towards the end of the game. Worth watching (if not for a cracking match) just to see their manager Alec Stock nearly in tears after having seen his star-studded side ripped apart by bottom-of-the-table-Saints. We finished the season above them.

• Like 3

Remember the game well.

Something that won't be picked up in the coverage is the abuse Rodney Marsh received from start to finish. He was always a "favourite" among the home supporters, never really knew if it was some misdemeanor whilst at QPR, or Man City, or if he was just considered ripe for abuse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

An opportunity for some of us oldies to get all nostalgic for a bit of yesteryear - Saints v Fulham 1976 on 'The Big Match Revisited' tomorrow 17.50 on ITV4. And a chance for you nippers to take in an old match at The Dell.

Second division, they were flying, we were bottom (yet to win), they bowl up with George Best, Rodney Marsh and Bobby Moore in their side! Don't like to ruin it but we stuffed 'em 4-1, Best sent off towards the end of the game. Worth watching (if not for a cracking match) just to see their manager Alec Stock nearly in tears after having seen his star-studded side ripped apart by bottom-of-the-table-Saints. We finished the season above them.

1976? That year rings a bell.

11 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

1976? That year rings a bell.

The season following 'that day' ...didn't start too well!

14 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Best’s then girlfriend was on the pitch taking photos before game nice

Miss World I believe, she did leave herself open to a bit of 'friendly banter'

14 hours ago, 64saint said:

Just had a look to record it and comes up as Brighton v Palace 🤔

It's one of 3 games featured - it was great being there, big crowd and good atmosphere, and then being able to relive it the next day on The Big Match.

Sunday roast, watch the match and then over the park for a kick-about with your mates.

• Like 3

Funnily enogh I watched one of these last night, it was Ipswich v Spurs and Spurs were kicking 6 bails out of Ipswich and Bobby Robson came on saying that about it. Keith Burkinshaw came on and said something like, its not a game for cry babies and football is not as tough as it used to be. I reckon 5 or 6 reds nowadays. Im pleased its not like that now as skilful players were kicked out of the game

I enjoyed watching it. I was in the Dell for the game - there for most games in those days, home and away - but I hadn't seen the TV programme. It seems like a different world now, doesn't it? Certainly for the standard of football, but also for the quality of the broadcasting and camera work. Never thought I would miss VAR, but I bet they would have a few reviews if they had a chance with those matches!