RIP Wilko Johnson

badgerx16

Sad news, but he got about a decade more than expected. 

They were never the same after he left. Although they had a brilliant singer & showman in Brilleaux, the songs weren’t as strong after Wilko & his guitar playing was pretty unique. Down by the jetty is a master piece of a debut album, up there  with rocks finest. 

I was lucky enough to see him a couple of times, once in the late 80’s in a pretty small boozer where he was absolutely nuts. RIP, a real one off. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

RIP Wilko

Loved it when he joined the Blockheads, he added something different to an already eclectic band.

I managed to see him solo twice either side of his 2013 (?) diagnosis.  Before it he was performing in the Railway Tavern Winchester with Norman Watt-Roy.  After it I saw him in the Royal Albert Hall.  I challenge anyone to name an artist who has appeared in two more different venues in the space of a year.  something about his Lazarus story really captured imagination.

People should read his auto biography. It’s not the usual pony, he accepts what a twat he was prior to leaving The Feelgoods & his reaction to being given 9 months to live, pretty inspirational. I remember him being interviewed prior to his life saving op, when he did really think that was it, and he said the exact same stuff, so it wasn’t written with survivors hindsight. 

They were such a great band, they absolutely had it all in front of them, punks loved them, they could have been so much bigger when punk hit. But booze & Wilko’s issues got in the way and they became a decent journeyman band after he left. Down at The Doctors & milk and alcohol were ok, but the edge, danger and excitement exited with Wilko.