Dan Rice

miserableoldgit

16 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Considering the lack of youth players who’ve taken the step up and cemented their place in the first team over the past few years… no real loss.

He’s been in post for two years. The lack of talent currently is the result of the Les Reed years. 

I feel like Sport Republic almost want a new staffing policy where the staff potentially float from club to club within their business. For example if you worked for SR you would have to be scouting for Saints, their Turkish club and whatever other team they have in their ranks.

I’m sure I heard this a few months back. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s why people keep going elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Les Reed left nearly five years ago.

Let me break it down for you.  At what age do academy players sign for a club, and when do they start making their first team debuts? 

If they signed at 8, that would make them now 18...so Les was here then.  If Dan Rice oversaw the signing of a player for the academy in the last two years, they might make their debut in anywhere between 2 and 12 years.   

12 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Let me break it down for you.  At what age do academy players sign for a club, and when do they start making their first team debuts? 

If they signed at 8, that would make them now 18...so Les was here then.  If Dan Rice oversaw the signing of a player for the academy in the last two years, they might make their debut in anywhere between 2 and 12 years.   

I think you are probably over estimating the recruiting of 8-12 year old children in the process. 

Really the coaching structure, facilities, culture, pathway,  support network etc etc are infinitely more important and that is the accountability of someone other than Les Reed for the last five years, which is a long time in football.

I know it's awfully fun and nostalgic to keep blaming him for everything but seriously, get over it.

Edited by CB Fry

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I think you are probably over estimating the recruiting of 8-12 year old children in the process. 

Really the coaching structure, facilities, culture, pathway,  support network etc etc are infinitely more important and that is the accountability of someone other than Les Reed for the last five years, which is a long time in football.

I know it's awfully fun and nostalgic to keep blaming him for everything but seriously, get over it.

Don’t worry about me, I’m over it. The use of the age range was that Bale, Lallana, Shaw, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chambers, Targett and so so on were all recruited between 8-12. I was just pointing out to the previous poster that someone who’d been in post for 2 or so years responsible for academy recruitment wouldn’t see results for awhile, especially when it comes to the first team.