RIP Andy Rourke

Turkish

7 hours ago, whelk said:

Very sad. Incredible band. Shame Morrissey turned into such a twat but the music doesn’t diminish.  

He managed to be quite nice in his statement yesterday.

Morrissey and Marr were the genius combination but Rourke's (and Joyce's) contribution was huge, just a brilliant band.

.....Rourke was 23 when the Smiths split up. That's what blew my mind yesterday.

Edited by CB Fry

Yeah, understandably Marr tended to overshadow Rourke and got all the plaudits. 

I was a bit young for The Smiths when they first arrived on the scene but discovered them in my late teens, thanks to the brother of a friend who played them relentlessly when we were round his house.  Morrissey's lyrics were like nothing else I'd heard up to then and Marr's melodies were addictive.  Rourke's bass playing was up there with anyone else at the time.  I always wondered if Marr had any control over the basslines or if it was all left to Rourke to do as he pleased.  

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now stands out for the melodic bass chords.  Also, for me, Reel Around the Fountain - so simple but perfect for the melody.   

• Like 1