That 2023 Review

FarehamSaintJames

As we enter a new year it’s time to reflect on everything that has happened during 2023.

There have been some highs, some lows, some hilarious times and some outright bewildering moments in this calendar year.

Time to nominate your winners!

As this year is a tale of two halves and two divisions, feel free to do a collective one or one for each season, the categories are:

Best Goal:

Best Signing:

Worst Signing:

Game to remember:

Game to forget:

Player Of The Year:

Enjoy, and Happy New Year to everyone.

Up The Saints!

Best Goal: Carlos Alcaraz v Plymouth

Best Signing: Flynn Downes

Worst Signing: Ross Stewart

Game to remember: 4-0 win v Blackburn (because I went), attack vs defence performance.

Game to forget: 0-1 Ipswich, an absolute nothing performance, had we played them two months later I think the score would’ve been very different

Player Of The Year: Kyle Walker-Peters - has been consistent in both divisions

Best Goal: Gavin Bazunu (v Preston)

Best Signing: Taylor Harwood-Bellis

Worst Signing: Paul Onuachu

Game to remember: Saints 5-0 Swansea City

Game to forget: Saints 0-1 Nottingham Forest

Player Of The Year: Kyle Walker-Peters

• Like 1

Happy New Year All!

Best Goal: KWP against Bristol City - but how good would that AA effort against Plymouth have been if it had dropped a metre lower!

Best Signing: Tie between THB and Downes. Ironically both loan signings. The only other one that comes close is Alcaraz really - I hope he really comes good in the second half of the season. That goal on Friday will do him wonders.

Worst Signing: Orsic - not even a debate.

Game to remember: Saints 4 - Norwich 4 but only because I was there and took my 5 year old for her first game. Money/Time pending, I hope to take her more in 2024. Honourable mention to Arsenal 3 - Saints 3 which I watched in the pub surrounded by Arsenal fans and we were 2 minutes away from winning it 3-1 with me giving it the biggun.

Game to forget: Game? I want to forget the entire 2023 portion of our Premier League season. From this season it would be the Sunderland thrashing. 

Player Of The Year: Kyle Walker-Peters.

Best goal KWP

Best Signing Downes

worst Signing Orsic

Game to remember 4-0 Bristol City

Game to forget too many; Forest, Wolves, Grimsby, Leicester

Player of the year - I’m going to be controversial and say Bednarek when including last season.  KWP brilliant since September 

• Like 1

Best Goal: Adams v Sheffield Wednesday. The goal itself was not amazing, but what it meant was more important. Up and running at a new level, new hope.

Best Signing: Flynn Downes

Worst Signing: Ross Stewart. Not his fault, but totally irresponsible to waste 10m in the Championship on an unfit player.

Game to remember: 4-0 v Blackburn. It had all been a grind until then, now it's really starting to click.

Game to forget: 5-0 at Sunderland. Think you've hit rock bottom? Just you wait.....

Player Of The Year: KwP. Enjoy him while we can.

26 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Onuachu clearly a worse signing than Orsic because of the financial loss. Orsic was a cheap gamble who we already have off the books.

Fair point, we spent big on deadline day last January, wasting money on players completely unsuitable, price tag makes it worse than Stewart. 

Our total spend on Tall Paul and Stewart v return on investment in goals is shocking 

Edited by JRM