Customer Service alive and well at SMS

Edmonton Saint

I believe they were DUTY bound to SELL you those waffles. If it is on display it is for sale and you have the right to buy it.

Although this does not extend to the merchandising, tills and staff naturally...

It may come as a bit of a surprise, but no shop is duty bound to sell you anything. They can refuse to sell to a customer if they want.

Several years ago, when I moved back to Southampton, I needed a new Steam Iron. I went into a couple of shops nearby, and the local Currys had a £30 iron marked up at £12. I knew the prices as I had just resigned as a manager from Comet only days before, and these trivial things stay with you. I told the salesperson I wanted the Iron. He said it was incorrectly priced and I could have it at £30. Now I knew he was right, but I dug my heels in to see how far the store would go. I asked for the manager, and he caved in immediately. So I got my Iron for £12. But the manager was quite within his rights to tell me to bugger off.

It may come as a bit of a surprise, but no shop is duty bound to sell you anything. They can refuse to sell to a customer if they want.

Several years ago, when I moved back to Southampton, I needed a new Steam Iron. I went into a couple of shops nearby, and the local Currys had a £30 iron marked up at £12. I knew the prices as I had just resigned as a manager from Comet only days before, and these trivial things stay with you. I told the salesperson I wanted the Iron. He said it was incorrectly priced and I could have it at £30. Now I knew he was right, but I dug my heels in to see how far the store would go. I asked for the manager, and he caved in immediately. So I got my Iron for £12. But the manager was quite within his rights to tell me to bugger off.

It is 20 years since I studied contract and sales law tbh... ;)

The idiocracy can work in your favour though. A while ago i noticed a deal of about £1.50 per bottle of hobgoblin ale. I thought, 'hmmm good offer' and promptly took a crate of 12 to the checkout. She proceeded to scan the box, and asked for £1.50.

I looked at her slightly bemused, then thought oh well, paid up and left. Seriously how stupid can staff be ?

Definate result.

1. Allegedly is right and what multi national corporation doesn’t try to avoid paying Taxes.

2. Tesco pays more to its employees in wages and benefits than its other major competitors.

3. Think you'll find its £9 in every £10 put hey lets not bash a British success story eh. We do love to do that don’t we?

4. If you don’t like em don’t shop with em if that’s your stand point but while they have customers going through their doors they will continue to expand.

Oh and yes I do work for them. One of the best employers you'll find in this country.

I can find no independent data on comparitive pay rates but I've just trawled a load of message boards and the concensus view is that they pay on a par with Sainsbury's. Apparently Aldi pays more and the best rates are to be found at M & S and Waitrose. Paid / unpaid breaks and entitlements to discount vary as do holiday and sick pay entitlements.

I don't shop with them.

At Tesco there should be an A4 notice at their customer service desk clearly stating theior 'pricing error' policy. I seem to remember that you can actually claim the item FOC if the shelf price differs from the scanned price.

For those people who hate Tesco. Here's a way to get them back. When you go through the self scan till with some expensive fruit like a pomegranite or Sharen Fruit, put it on the weighing scale, tap the 'King Edwards' loose potatoes button - Bingo.

I can find no independent data on comparitive pay rates but I've just trawled a load of message boards and the concensus view is that they pay on a par with Sainsbury's. Apparently Aldi pays more and the best rates are to be found at M & S and Waitrose. Paid / unpaid breaks and entitlements to discount vary as do holiday and sick pay entitlements.

Does this make Sainsbury's evil as well?

At Tesco there should be an A4 notice at their customer service desk clearly stating theior 'pricing error' policy. I seem to remember that you can actually claim the item FOC if the shelf price differs from the scanned price.

For those people who hate Tesco. Here's a way to get them back. When you go through the self scan till with some expensive fruit like a pomegranite or Sharen Fruit, put it on the weighing scale, tap the 'King Edwards' loose potatoes button - Bingo.

With the net result that they will appear to be selling more potatoes and will go back to the famers and ask for an even bigger rebate on potato crops, resulting ultimately in farmers feeding rabid dogs to potatoes and the whole world dying of rabies...

I don't shop with them.

They advertise how much they will pay.

They confirm how much will be paid at interview / job offer.

People will either accept the offer or not.

I imagine they pay lower rates for lower skilled staff, can't really blame them for paying staff the 'going' rate can we?

At the end of the day, the [labour] Government has set what they deem to be an acceptable minimum rate of pay...

The policy of large supermarkets procuring at vastly reduced prices is one of the core reasons why Mad Cow Disease became prevelant.

Large supermarkets leant heavily on farmers to reduce costs.

They did and started to feed dead cows to other cows in order to retain a margin. Cows should eat grass. In fields. But keeping them there costs money. Money farmers didn't have because they were being screwed to operate at slimmer and slimmer margins because of the power of the large supermarkets.

FAIR and EQUITABLE supermarkets should surely pay what is required of their suppliers to deliver while making a fair and equitable margin for themselves.

Not screw an industry into the floor for the sake of shareholders?

How do your Chickens live btw? Still selling those that have lived life in a shoe box??

No disrespect to you. But there are things your company does in its supply chain that are far from contributory to a better world.

Yes, there are people who don't give a stuff how their chicken and bacon sandwich reached their plate. There are also people who don't care for speed limits or morality...

In their Chinese stores they sell live turtles in the knowledge that their customers cook them alive. I have this info on the good authority of my younger eco-brother.

They advertise how much they will pay.

They confirm how much will be paid at interview / job offer.

People will either accept the offer or not.

I imagine they pay lower rates for lower skilled staff, can't really blame them for paying staff the 'going' rate can we?

At the end of the day, the [labour] Government has set what they deem to be an acceptable minimum rate of pay...

Well, I'm not so dumb as to compare a Store Manager's wage (at, say Aldi) with a cashier's wage at Tesco. I was looking specifically at cashiers' wages.

Pay peanuts..........

Anyway just to fill you in , It seems perhaps people from the club do read this forum as Leighton Mitchell emailed me and said he will send me my free tracksuit! So all in all , I am happy bunny with 2 tracksuits!

Way to go DLT - and we've had a rollickin' good argy bargy about supermarkets too.

Bargain!

In their Chinese stores they sell live turtles in the knowledge that their customers cook them alive. I have this info on the good authority of my younger eco-brother.

I hate to confess that the wife has occasionally murdered a lobster - albeit, turned upside-down, stomach stroked and then skewered while asleep. Eating animals full stop, I'm not 100% conmfortable with myself... Hasn't put me off steaks and lamb chops mind. But it's the life the animal leads I care about. I know it's expensive but if we all could eat better raised and reared farmstock, I am convinced we'd be healthier and happier as a human race!

I hate to confess that the wife has occasionally murdered a lobster - albeit, turned upside-down, stomach stroked and then skewered while asleep. Eating animals full stop, I'm not 100% conmfortable with myself... Hasn't put me off steaks and lamb chops mind. But it's the life the animal leads I care about. I know it's expensive but if we all could eat better raised and reared farmstock, I am convinced we'd be healthier and happier as a human race!

Article on Radio 4 this morning (about half seven) about a study of crabs tolerance to electric shocks and whetrher they learn from being shocked. Interesting it was. Here'sa link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7966807.stm

" Legislation to protect crustaceans has been proposed but it is likely to cover only scientific research"

end_quote_rb.gif

Anyway just to fill you in , It seems perhaps people from the club do read this forum as Leighton Mitchell emailed me and said he will send me my free tracksuit! So all in all , I am happy bunny with 2 tracksuits!

A good response from the club.

Article on Radio 4 this morning (about half seven) about a study of crabs tolerance to electric shocks and whetrher they learn from being shocked. Interesting it was. Here'sa link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7966807.stm

" Legislation to protect crustaceans has been proposed but it is likely to cover only scientific research"

end_quote_rb.gif

That is why you should never boil a crab or lobster while alive - they should be killed humanely before being cooked!

Wahay..! Success for The Saints Web Customers Rights Thread. Move over WatchDog..! :D

And well done SFC for seeing sense too.

...the correct and appropriate action taken by the club, at last. the lady you spoke to was also correct, but showed little appreciation of Customer Service in her explanation and resolution.

as for the original issue - the website should make it clear about how to obtain your "free" item, but then you should also have considered how the club would assess your application for one item and then process it as two? Would have complained if the "free" item had been sent to you, but was in a different size the first item ordered? How are the club to assume that you will require two items of the same size as part of the deal? Hence, the need to enter BOTH items in your "basket" and then they can calculate the price accordingly.

Some common sense from both sides would'nt have gone amiss.

As for the raging arguments about supermarkets and cows/turtles..... each to their own and buy what you want, from your shop of choice. Supply and demand.

That is why you should never boil a crab or lobster while alive - they should be killed humanely before being cooked!

I remember being told once that the humane way was to put them in the freezer for a while - not until frozen solid - then a sharp knife vertically through the back of the head which kills them instantly. But how do they know?

And well done Tesco for being a market leader...

Can't go along with that. They do it by short changing their workers and dodging moral responsibilities. Other supermarkets can do it, so why not Tesco..? No. Too busy finding the best deal for themselves, and putting up endless LCD screens to advertise products to people as they shop.

You know why they can afford these things..? They're making a packet out of their employees and the consumer.

I remember being told once that the humane way was to put them in the freezer for a while - not until frozen solid - then a sharp knife vertically through the back of the head which kills them instantly. But how do they know?

I think the current advice (as given to my missus by her chef/teacher on her Cordon Blue cookery course so could well be wrong) is turn 'em over, stroke them to sleep, then knife through the brain while sleeping.

This sounds humane to me, unless a lobster has survived and lived to warn others not to get too excited about a bit of tummy tickling...

Well, I'm not so dumb as to compare a Store Manager's wage (at, say Aldi) with a cashier's wage at Tesco. I was looking specifically at cashiers' wages.

Pay peanuts..........

But it seems you're happy to compare wages between Aldi and Tesco's.

Both stores have VERY different working practices, and I guess the higher wage at Aldi is because of the work they have to do.

Can't go along with that. They do it by short changing their workers and dodging moral responsibilities. Other supermarkets can do it, so why not Tesco..? No. Too busy finding the best deal for themselves, and putting up endless LCD screens to advertise products to people as they shop.

You know why they can afford these things..? They're making a packet out of their employees and the consumer.

Neither of which are morally repugnant.

Screwing suppliers - different story...

Farmers cannot decide not to supply the biggest customer who is driving down prices because of its power to purchase. You and me could choose (and I do) not to buy from them. Employees could decide not to work for them.

Neither of which are morally repugnant.

Screwing suppliers - different story...

Farmers cannot decide not to supply the biggest customer who is driving down prices because of its power to purchase. You and me could choose (and I do) not to buy from them. Employees could decide not to work for them.

Yeah, I agree about the suppliers and farmers/farm workers, LeGTC. If I had thought about my post a little more I might have said so. But tbh, I think making huge profits out of customers and employees is morally repugnant. Nothing wrong with a good profit, but Tesco are clearly taking the Michael.

The only difference between Tesco and the of major food retailers is Size. It makes me laugh how people jump on the band wagon to stick a knife into a true British success story like Tesco.

Forget what you hear on the news its one sided, find your own views that you have researched.

If you think Sainsbury’s Asda and Morrison’s is any better than Tesco in its code of conduct you are greatly mistaken. The commission wasn’t investigating Tesco on it own it was the industry and made recommendations accordingly.

I love the British view of success we love to knock it. If Tesco were based in the states as they are here they'd welcome it with open arms as an American dream of success.

For those of you that don’t know. Tesco started as a corner shop selling tea so for all the small retailers moaning on about how badly they are treated they need to wake up and roll with the punches adapt and overcome.

Yeah, I agree about the suppliers and farmers/farm workers, LeGTC. If I had thought about my post a little more I might have said so. But tbh, I think making huge profits out of customers and employees is morally repugnant. Nothing wrong with a good profit, but Tesco are clearly taking the Michael.

Trouble is we are a consumer society, until the bubble burst it was 'charge what the market will pay'. That is why so many of our white and electronic goods were the same price in £s as $s and €s.

now things are different and I'm sure goods are priced more realistically if even still a tad high.

But it seems you're happy to compare wages between Aldi and Tesco's.

Both stores have VERY different working practices, and I guess the higher wage at Aldi is because of the work they have to do.

Exactly. Aldi employ much fewer staff.

Ah, so I'd better not go shopping there anymore.

Trouble is it's them or Tesco! Sainsburys is too expensive and the local Co-op stinks of wee....the only decent Co-op got arsoned to the ground!!

ASDA or Tesco? My money plumps for the British company that isn't packed to the rafters with pikeys...

I think the current advice (as given to my missus by her chef/teacher on her Cordon Blue cookery course so could well be wrong) is turn 'em over, stroke them to sleep, then knife through the brain while sleeping.

This sounds humane to me, unless a lobster has survived and lived to warn others not to get too excited about a bit of tummy tickling...

So if my missus ever turns me on to my back and starts stroking my tummy, should I start to worry?

Tesco make £3b and BP and shell make what ? £30b whos worse ?

Ah, so I'd better not go shopping there anymore.

Trouble is it's them or Tesco! Sainsburys is too expensive and the local Co-op stinks of wee....the only decent Co-op got arsoned to the ground!!

I occasionally buy Pain au Chocolat (yep, girlie thing) from our local Co-op that doesn't stink of wee and hasn't been burned down.

They are 79p each and they are scrummy.

My daughter bought some Pain au Chocolat from Tesco the other day (yep, I need to do some more work on her). Four for £1.50.

No contest you might think. Yes contest! The ones from Tesco were inedible - seriously!

You get what you pay for I guess.

The only difference between Tesco and the of major food retailers is Size. It makes me laugh how people jump on the band wagon to stick a knife into a true British success story like Tesco.

Forget what you hear on the news its one sided, find your own views that you have researched.

If you think Sainsbury’s Asda and Morrison’s is any better than Tesco in its code of conduct you are greatly mistaken. The commission wasn’t investigating Tesco on it own it was the industry and made recommendations accordingly.

I love the British view of success we love to knock it. If Tesco were based in the states as they are here they'd welcome it with open arms as an American dream of success.

For those of you that don’t know. Tesco started as a corner shop selling tea so for all the small retailers moaning on about how badly they are treated they need to wake up and roll with the punches adapt and overcome.

I have done. They ain't squeeky clean. Admittedly, none of them are, but Tesco are dirtier than the rest.

BTW, I have absolutely no problems with British success stories, in fact I applaud them. I do have problems with companies that don't behave in the correct manner, be they British, US, Japanese, or from any country.