Just back from Derby

ladysaint

and I just cant stop talking about our performance today, the lads were absolutely terrific, some of the passing was mesmerising and Gillett, Lallana, Holmes were all 10 out of 10. I just cant stop thinking about the game, the result was important but it was the way we played, I dont think Derby were in the match in the last 20 minutes. Did I mention that we were outstanding today, reminded me of our team in the 80's.

funny you should say that,i was just saying to a mate of mine how much holmes reminds me of steve moran.

Davis - Some crucial saves to keep us in it at 0-0, one key save just before we scored which would have changed the game if it had gone in. 7/10

James - I'm still not convinced he's a long term answer at right back but he had a decent game defensively just didn't add offer much going forward. 7/10

Svensson - Superb again, far too good for this division. I really hope he can stay fit. 8/10

Perry - Starting to build a good partnership with Svensson and seems great business getting him in on a free. 7/10

Surman - Probably the weak link for me, he was rushed in possession and occasionally made a poor pass although at time he linked up well with Holmes. 5/10

Schneiderlin - Superb, the lad's class. He wasn't rushed in possession and excelled when he moved into a more attacking midfield role. I really think we have a special player on our hands here, if he stays around long enough he will become a legend for us. 9/10

Gillett - I really don't understand how he was left in the reserves all last season he is so much better than Viafara, Wright, Euell and all the other crap we played in the middle of the park last season. He bossed the midfield and Savage was nowhere to be seen. For a little lad he really gets stuck in and has tremendous energy, he didn't stop running all day. 10/10

Lallana - It's criminal that he wasn't involved more last season. He played all over the midfield and he hardly lost the ball. He will go on to good things in the future as well. 10/10 MOTM

Holmes - Worked tirelessly for the team and put himself about. Showed Derby how stupid they where to release him on a free, totally outclassed any of the Derby attacking midfielders. 8/10

McGoldrick - Very unlucky not to score he hit the cross bar twice and had a couple of shots go over the bar. His build up play was great as well, plenty of fighting to hold up the ball and some good skill to bring the wingers into the game. He should have scored in the first half though when Gillett played him through. 8/10

White - Looks really good, some of our best football was down the right, the Derby left back was getting dragged all over the place and White put in some great work. 7/10

Subs:

Cork - Looked great down the right, didn't have much work to do defensively but his attacking play and linking up with Lallana on the right was great. I'd like to see him start at right back against Blackpool. 7/10

Wotton - Shored up the midfield a bit and made some really good late runs. 7/10

John - Didn't really have much to do but there was a fair bit of running and chasing.

I'm not even exaggerating the scores, we where brilliant. Even in the 90th minute we where still pressing and looking for another goal where previously we would have had 10 men in the boxing hoofing it clear from the 80th minute. We totally outclassed a poor Derby side and where very unlucky not to score more goals.

yes you are, no one deserves 10/10. that is for hat tricks, world class saves and winning the fa cup. We beat a very poor side playing well ourselves. we lacked a cutting edge upfront a few times, i.e. when jamie white pulled the ball back a few times there was no one in the middle. Other than that a solid performance all round. We actually looked up for it. It was music to my ears hearing all those boos and chants of 'what a load of rubbish'. I was pleased to hear my chant of 'on the pitch' being sung.

Absolutely fantastic performance, especially in the 2nd half. Quality football. I though Simon Gillet was immense.

Totally agree mate. Was not previously convinced about Gillett but yesterday he was everywhere and him and Scneiderlin ran the midfield.

Great day out with pre and post match decent ales in the Brunswick.

just walked in the front door, my voice is gone! that was the best Saints performance i have seen in years the quotes above just some up what a great day its been. Im the same as ladysaint i havent stopped talking about how well we have played all the way home, things really do look up

COYS!!

P.S. will upload some video clips in a min

Although they played well, they played better first half against Brum, and Derby were god awful!!!! Other teams will punish us for missing great chances we had.

That said the effect of a win, clean sheet and away from home cannot be measured in goals or points it will give the kids great confidence and may prove to be a springboard for many of them.

yes you are, no one deserves 10/10. that is for hat tricks, world class saves and winning the fa cup. We beat a very poor side playing well ourselves. we lacked a cutting edge upfront a few times, i.e. when jamie white pulled the ball back a few times there was no one in the middle. Other than that a solid performance all round. We actually looked up for it. It was music to my ears hearing all those boos and chants of 'what a load of rubbish'. I was pleased to hear my chant of 'on the pitch' being sung.

Lets remember how good that felt hearing the other team boo and gripe about there team the next time we want to start harping on about Lowe during games. It gave us as fans a further lift and raised the noise levels from our lot!!!

Three points and playing the home team would suggest differentl.

It should have been all over and done by half time - a better team would have shredded us second half a la Birmingham. We need to be more clinical in front of goal - and I hope the players do not get as carried away by the result as we are.

Gillett was immence, he is a real find.

Excellent performance, but important to recoginise it's early days and Derby were REALLY poor, they gave us time to play our football, most other teams won't be so generous. How Jewell has kept his job for long borders on ridiculous.

Great result & performance and a good platform to build on.

Great day, Igot back at 1am, still recovering now.

Gutted at missing this one as at wedding in the West Country of one of my best mates but superb result and it sounds like a great display with football as I like it played. Bit sick as I've been to Pride Park a few times and never seen us win, let alone in style! Can't wait for Blackpool game now.

Derby didn't seem to rate us:

http://forums.therams.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=15228&tstart=0

Amongst others: "got outplayed by a shockingly poor side who I think will get relegated"

Jesus christ there are some morons on there. If they didn't rate our performance fair enough but how can they say things like "we looked lightweight in midfield" and we were "defensively poor?" My favourite is "Perry is a ***t"

I ****ing hate Derby, I have hated the city for a long time but I used to be ambivalent about the football club but they seem to have such a high percentage of *****s in their supporter base it is astounding. I really, really hope they struggle this season.

Our last game this season is Forest away, if they go down I will be heading into Derby to celebrate.

Jesus christ there are some morons on there. If they didn't rate our performance fair enough but how can they say things like "we looked lightweight in midfield" and we were "defensively poor?" My favourite is "Perry is a ***t"

I ****ing hate Derby, I have hated the city for a long time but I used to be ambivalent about the football club but they seem to have such a high percentage of *****s in their supporter base it is astounding. I really, really hope they struggle this season.

Our last game this season is Forest away, if they go down I will be heading into Derby to celebrate.

Just celebrate with the Forest fans! :)

lightweight in midfield... :D

Probably because we didn't have some jumped up Wesh tosser flying into challenges he was never going to win. Gillett, Schneiderlin and Lallana gave their midfield the run around all day and Wotton added some mettle in midfield to help shore it up a bit. We where not lightweight in the slightest, that would be the midfielders who where wearing white and couldn't get anywhere near the ball.