Just back from Derby

ladysaint

i think we need to sign a striker that will take the chances then maybe we can achieve the things that people are sayin on this forum

I would agree with that and maybe a left back, but seeing we have no money i think we are setting ourselves up nicely for a decent finish and a promising return to some form of stability

i think we need to sign a striker that will take the chances then maybe we can achieve the things that people are sayin on this forum

Perhaps a shame that Baseya was persuaded by his agent to chuck his cards in. Then again, JP might decide to blood Paterson at some point later in the season also. By all accounts he is hot property as a forward.

Just back via a few pints in Derby and a rail replacement service to London.

Absolutely fantastic performance - Gillett MOM for me, he was just everywhere, but that whole central midfield trio of Gillett, Schneiderlin and Lallana just bossed it.

Cork looked very assured and quickly snuffed out the threat of Ellington who I think had been put on to run at James (who's still a bit of a defensive weak link). Surman had good moments but didn't quite seem quite at the races - if Cork is perhaps the answer at right back then to make me confidant in defense we need an answer at left back as well. Davis was superb and is hopefully going to make a lot of posters on here eat their words over the course of this season.

Can't let it raise expectations too much for this season, Derby were poor, but if we can keep this team together and they keep improving we'll walk the league next season :)

Come on you Saints!

thing is i look at the 3 games we played and not just the one we played today to say we can finnish in the play offs after today's performance is abit soon it's only the other week the same people where sayin were doomed

Have to agree with you there. The Forum has gone one extreme to the other!

However from the people who went to the game it sounds like Saints put in a good performance - which I'm more than happy with.

Hopefully it will bode well for us over the rest of the season and get us moving up the table and a decent position at the end of the season.

But fair play to the people who went and watched at least we have something to cheer now! \\:D/

Oh come on were you there today if we cant get carried away after seeing that performance we never will.

Amen, thought we were cracking today. I am well aware that could have been a fluke but for a few days can we not just enjoy it.

Until next Saturday I am walking around under the assumption that we will be European champions in three seasons time :p

Gillett MOM for me, he was just everywhere, but that whole central midfield trio of Gillett, Schneiderlin and Lallana just bossed it.

I completely agree, thought Gillett was awesome, just awesome. He had everything today, not just rock solid defensively but a couple of neat little tricks and sweet passes going forward. I dread to think how much Robbie Savage earns a week compared to him but he looks an infinitely better footballer than savage, combining the few aspects of his game which are noteworthy but putting them in the body of an intelligent and capable footballer.

I took my brother to his first Saints game since the Lincoln City league cup game about ten years ago, if that is how they are going to play everytime I am buying him a season ticket.

Good times, I hope for many more away days like that over the season.

Absolutely feckin awesome.

As LadySaint says, I can barely remember when a Saints team last played with such fluent and skilful football. it really was a pleasure to watch.

After the Brum game I was disappointed at the result, but actually felt for the first time in a long while that at least I'd been entertained; well today really was something special, admitedly Derby were crap, but unlike last season we didn't give the ball away and hence could put the opposition under pressure throughout the game. BUT we really do need a lethal goal scorer. Twice one on ones were spurned, but it would be churlish to be too critical, because the team really performed well as a team rather than a bunch of strangers, and they all round covering and tackling was trememndous. Pretty football still needs a lot of hard work and every player gave it everything they had.

Great display by the team, great support from the fans throughout the game and great beer and company both pre and post match in The Brunswick. I'm a bit concerned about the banging hangover that will be arriving tomorow morning.:rolleyes:

COYS

On a much more negative note I am shi*t scared of losing these incredibly talented youngsters come January as we seem to have raided our academy and the cupboard is now bare if recent results for the youth are anything to go by.

We may be skint, but we're not stupid. Lowe will only sell what is needed. If the wage bill can be stabilised, we'll have no problem.

Brilliant performance. Our midfield ran the show. Morgan Schneiderlin produced one of the best midfield displays I have ever seen from a Saints player. Quite how we signed him is anyones guess. He just never gives the ball away and for a man of his stature has a great touch. I am just delighted with the whole day.

thing is i look at the 3 games we played and not just the one we played today to say we can finnish in the play offs after today's performance is abit soon it's only the other week the same people where sayin were doomed

You may well be right Darren and I'm an eternal pessimist so rarely get carried away but tonight I'm ecstatic and think I may remain so for the next day or two.

For all it to come right at Derby of all places is SO sweet that even miserable (realistic?) gits like you and me can just enjoy the feeling right now!

how sweet was that win.i go on holiday in 3 hours and what a way to leave.f'ing brilliant by saints.total football at its best.we showed what we can do today,admitedley againt a poor derby side,but they really couldnt cope with our midfield.men of the match,gillet,spiderman and lallana.down side,none.great support and lets hope this will get those who are staying away back.best display from saints since we tonked spurs in the cup.still along way to go and lets hope lowe doesnt sell these great youngsters too soon.have to say surman looks lost at lb.coyr

Thanks for the reports guys. Encouraging stuff. Really looking forward to next weekend now when we get our bi-annual TV slot out here. Sounds like it will come at a good time.

COYRs

Details Will, I need details! What/when on the TV slot?

Very True if you looked at the half time comments also lots said we were doomed.

WE just need to be patient and win two games a month and then see what happens

Hardly anyone said that who actually went to the games tbf

Southampton and Plymouth are chasing Spurs' reserve stiker Tomas Pekhart.

Spurs are keen to loan him out to gain 1st team experience.

He is a Czech Republic under 21 player,aged 19.

Also i see that Anthony Stokes the striker fom Sunderland is about to be sent out on loan by Keane.

First view of TNS (the English variety) today and I must agree with previous comments, we were truly amazing. Are Derby destined for a 2nd relegation? On this form, they will struggle. But we probably made them look bad. The only down sides, we needed the 2nd to kill the game and I felt we lost it a bit for a few minutes after we scored and let them build up a bit of steam. But we then regained the initiative in no uncertain terms. The football was superb and I must agree with some about Schneiderlin, he looks awesome

Fairly sure it was Holmes. The bloke next to me caught the shirt!

thanks again! how did Holmes do? Lot slagging him off as not wanted by Derby when we signed him.

Wonder if the Derby fans are moaning about one that got away

What a great day.

I couldnt believe how quiet the Derby fans were before,during and after.I suppose they have nothing to cheer about.We totally outplayed them in the second half,although the first half was a bit scarey with Deby having a few chances to score.

We even went back to the Pride Park pub afterwards to have some more beers and let the traffic die down and to be fair to the home fans,they were all friendly and were very impressed with our style of play.

Definately worth the trip.

thanks again! how did Holmes do? Lot slagging him off as not wanted by Derby when we signed him.

Wonder if the Derby fans are moaning about one that got away

I have been impressed with Holmes and he is an integral part of the movement and attacking play.When he first arrived people were on here saying that Derby fans thought he rubbish etc.

It shows to some degree if a playerr gets a clean start how things can imporve.Pulis anyone?

Got back quicker than most of you only 90mins to home - but what a great day out!

Met up with a few of the old regulars from TSF and headed to The Brunswick - great beer and a nice little boozer with a biju beer garden!

Tried it on a bit at the turnstiles offering him a £5 note to let me in before I bought a ticket!

Thought the fans were great - noisey and proud. Unaware of what was to follow we all seemed full of hope. Savage was a shadow of his old self and our youngsters seemed not in awe of the man. Infact I would say he was taken aback by some of the tackling!

We were unlucky with several opportunities to go 1-0 before Kelvin pulled off a great save form a header from a corner just on HT. Before that Savage had missed a sitter, and a defensive mix up let one of their forwards in to fluff his shot. HT came and went with little conversation - and The Saints came storming out attacking the end we were stood. What impressed me more than anything today was the passion our lads showed in keeping the ball. As soon as a pass went astray, or someone intercepted an intended pass - someone (even 2-players were after it) when was the last time we saw that?

Just before we went 1-up, Kelvin made a critical save with his legs when effectively the Derby forward was through 1-on-1. From this we got the ball back, composed ourselves and scored on the break.

I know it's early days, but we looked like a team up for it. When John came on we lost something. I don't think he touched the ball once. Not sure if he is even on the same wavelength as the rest of the team.

I see one major problem...most of the team are young and play as a unit. We seem to have experience in defence, but lack any experience up front. At time we are so fast breaking there is no support. I wonder if there is any one out there who could fit the system and score goals. Not wishing to put a downer on McG but he needs to improve his conversion rate. I would still give him a starting position, his pace and awareness is great - but if he had John's eye for goal he'd be lethal.

It will be interesting to watch them on SKY next weekend against Blackpool and see what they have to say about our style...I am concerned we may get rave reviews and make others aware of the talent we have for January. It will also be nice to see what the game looks ike from the camera angles available - it may make the effort by the lads even more evident.

I think Drew had a poor game by his standards, but with Holmes in front of him there wasn't much he could do. Out of sorts? Not convinced but come 31st August once the dust has settled he should be more focused.

10/10 for the day out...I was impressed by the new look Saints - but didn't we ask good ol' 'arry to do something similar a few seasons ago?