Just back from Derby

ladysaint

and I just cant stop talking about our performance today, the lads were absolutely terrific, some of the passing was mesmerising and Gillett, Lallana, Holmes were all 10 out of 10. I just cant stop thinking about the game, the result was important but it was the way we played, I dont think Derby were in the match in the last 20 minutes. Did I mention that we were outstanding today, reminded me of our team in the 80's.

I just got back as well and I honestly can't remember the last time we've played so well. It was brilliant to watch, everyone out there gave 100% and it's very hard to single anyone out as a MOTM.

Gillett, Schniederlin and Lallana bossed the midfield. Savage was nowhere to be seen.

I'll do a breakdown of players in a bit but I need some food first. Absolutely quality performance and on another day we could have easily scored 4.

Today was quite possibly the best 'footballing' display I have see since the Matt Le Tissier days, no exageration. The team chased every ball, got stuck in and more than coped with Derbys usual physical stuff. Some of the passing would not have looked out of place in the top half of the Premiership.

The 'total football' was apparant, all eleven men knew their job and looked after one another. If we had a top class striker then we seriously would walk this league if we play like that every game.

It wasn't so much that Derby were poor, more that we made them look poor. Some of the passing in triangles with 6 Derby players desperately trying to get the ball had me in stitches.

Shame once again about completely OTT Stewarding and OB, but I guess that's the norm' nowadays.

I was there today as well, and can confirm that the people above aren't exaggerating about our performance today, we really were that great. Lallana, Holmes and Gillet looked class. Schneiderlin is god. Kelvin looked better than ever. Cork came on and slotted in perfectly and didn't put a foot wrong. Amazing performance.

The only thing I would say is that we need to be more clinical in front of goal. We created enough chances to win by a lot more.

If we had a out and out goal scorer we would have scored 1/2 a dozen today.

I haven't seen SFC play like that in the last 20 odd years!

Lets hope that the win gives them the confidence needed to ignite the season.

Brilliant news. The dark clouds over St.Marys are slowly clearing. Also JP is looking for a new striker.

Davis - Some crucial saves to keep us in it at 0-0, one key save just before we scored which would have changed the game if it had gone in. 7/10

James - I'm still not convinced he's a long term answer at right back but he had a decent game defensively just didn't add offer much going forward. 7/10

Svensson - Superb again, far too good for this division. I really hope he can stay fit. 8/10

Perry - Starting to build a good partnership with Svensson and seems great business getting him in on a free. 7/10

Surman - Probably the weak link for me, he was rushed in possession and occasionally made a poor pass although at time he linked up well with Holmes. 5/10

Schneiderlin - Superb, the lad's class. He wasn't rushed in possession and excelled when he moved into a more attacking midfield role. I really think we have a special player on our hands here, if he stays around long enough he will become a legend for us. 9/10

Gillett - I really don't understand how he was left in the reserves all last season he is so much better than Viafara, Wright, Euell and all the other crap we played in the middle of the park last season. He bossed the midfield and Savage was nowhere to be seen. For a little lad he really gets stuck in and has tremendous energy, he didn't stop running all day. 10/10

Lallana - It's criminal that he wasn't involved more last season. He played all over the midfield and he hardly lost the ball. He will go on to good things in the future as well. 10/10 MOTM

Holmes - Worked tirelessly for the team and put himself about. Showed Derby how stupid they where to release him on a free, totally outclassed any of the Derby attacking midfielders. 8/10

McGoldrick - Very unlucky not to score he hit the cross bar twice and had a couple of shots go over the bar. His build up play was great as well, plenty of fighting to hold up the ball and some good skill to bring the wingers into the game. He should have scored in the first half though when Gillett played him through. 8/10

White - Looks really good, some of our best football was down the right, the Derby left back was getting dragged all over the place and White put in some great work. 7/10

Subs:

Cork - Looked great down the right, didn't have much work to do defensively but his attacking play and linking up with Lallana on the right was great. I'd like to see him start at right back against Blackpool. 7/10

Wotton - Shored up the midfield a bit and made some really good late runs. 7/10

John - Didn't really have much to do but there was a fair bit of running and chasing.

I'm not even exaggerating the scores, we where brilliant. Even in the 90th minute we where still pressing and looking for another goal where previously we would have had 10 men in the boxing hoofing it clear from the 80th minute. We totally outclassed a poor Derby side and where very unlucky not to score more goals.

Believe the hype. We were absolutely fantastic, especially in the second half where we came out of the blocks brilliantly and then just didn't let up.

I've never seen so many backheels, nutmegs and just clever, pretty, incisive football.

Scheiderlin was my MOTM. Just the abilitly to hold the ball for a few second and knock a simple ball, or spray a long ball to switch play. He was at the heart of our play.

Hats off to Jamie White - I looked skyward when his name was read out, but he was superb. Great performances all over the pitch - Surman great, Lallana class, James good, Gillett full energy.

The pressure is on McGoldrick now though - with build up play that fantastic, we need to take the chances. Even the goal required a couple of bites of the cherry.

Even the substitutions were genius - Wotton was exactly what we needed when he came on. Just a bit of solidity to break up the (admittedly weak and desperate) Derby attacks.

And even the final minutes weren't fraught or nervous. We ran the ball into the corner, and just contained Derby. We'd destroyed them by then.

I saw the Brum game last week and thought we were flattering to decieve. Now, I think we can really, really deliver.

Well done the team, well done Poortvliet.

I'm a pessimistic old tw at usually, but today I am buzzing.

Davis - Some crucial saves to keep us in it at 0-0, one key save just before we scored which would have changed the game if it had gone in. 7/10

James - I'm still not convinced he's a long term answer at right back but he had a decent game defensively just didn't add offer much going forward. 7/10

Svensson - Superb again, far too good for this division. I really hope he can stay fit. 8/10

Perry - Starting to build a good partnership with Svensson and seems great business getting him in on a free. 7/10

Surman - Probably the weak link for me, he was rushed in possession and occasionally made a poor pass although at time he linked up well with Holmes. 5/10

Schneiderlin - Superb, the lad's class. He wasn't rushed in possession and excelled when he moved into a more attacking midfield role. I really think we have a special player on our hands here, if he stays around long enough he will become a legend for us. 9/10

Gillett - I really don't understand how he was left in the reserves all last season he is so much better than Viafara, Wright, Euell and all the other crap we played in the middle of the park last season. He bossed the midfield and Savage was nowhere to be seen. For a little lad he really gets stuck in and has tremendous energy, he didn't stop running all day. 10/10

Lallana - It's criminal that he wasn't involved more last season. He played all over the midfield and he hardly lost the ball. He will go on to good things in the future as well. 10/10 MOTM

Holmes - Worked tirelessly for the team and put himself about. Showed Derby how stupid they where to release him on a free, totally outclassed any of the Derby attacking midfielders. 8/10

McGoldrick - Very unlucky not to score he hit the cross bar twice and had a couple of shots go over the bar. His build up play was great as well, plenty of fighting to hold up the ball and some good skill to bring the wingers into the game. He should have scored in the first half though when Gillett played him through. 8/10

White - Looks really good, some of our best football was down the right, the Derby left back was getting dragged all over the place and White put in some great work. 7/10

Subs:

Cork - Looked great down the right, didn't have much work to do defensively but his attacking play and linking up with Lallana on the right was great. I'd like to see him start at right back against Blackpool. 7/10

Wotton - Shored up the midfield a bit and made some really good late runs. 7/10

John - Didn't really have much to do but there was a fair bit of running and chasing.

I'm not even exaggerating the scores, we where brilliant. Even in the 90th minute we where still pressing and looking for another goal where previously we would have had 10 men in the boxing hoofing it clear from the 80th minute. We totally outclassed a poor Derby side and where very unlucky not to score more goals.

Thank you good report.

I suppose Stern John was not picked as he was in Trinidad during the week

I was feeling a little pessimistic about this as the Saints of old have a long history of gifting teams on a poor streak an easy win - was also my first view of the Portvliet revolution. Needn't have worried, after a fairly even and scrappy first twenty we started to boss the midfield and made some great moves down the right - Holmes, Scneiderlin and Lallana were fantastic today, as was Gillet in centrak mid. Perry and Svensson have got a really solid partnership going, an apart from one piece of miscommunication, Davies is obviously much happier. Two dampeners really: Surman is not a left back and McGoldrick needs to sharpen his finishing up - we should have won by 3 at least. I disagree with one poster about James White, I thought he was excellent at R Back today.

Let's hope this performance and the hype it's getting on here will get the missing to start to believe and come back to SMS to get those crowd figures over 20k again.

Just back too (well i guess most were on the same bus so we all back at same time!) and one word i would use to describe the performance is "outstanding", the lads did us proud. It wasen't easy as the crowd was hostile (understandable) but they showed they are a team that will stand up when the pressure is on and do well. They could/should of won by miles as make no mistake this was a mauling in every area except the score. Just before we scored Davis made a simply amazing save when he had a 1 on 1, i wonder how many of us thought that was 1-0 to Derby then? Gillet was my man of the match followed closely by Lallanna. In truth they all played well and James White i felt did superb. But it also must be mentioned JP got the tactics spot on. It takes balls to drop a player like John. Superb performance and i know if we play like that for the rest of the season we will be fine!

Was nice to see the crowds respect for Holmes too.

On another note how on earth does Jewell who hasen't won a game at all in over 31 matches keep his job? I was looking at him in the game and he did fook all, just sat there probably thinking about making videos ;) Personally i think Derby deserve what is happening to them for the way they treated Davies.

Edited by St Marco

have i woken up from a long sleep or something??????

the reports i have read above bear no resemblance to the saints team i have been watching at SMS for the last few seasons!!!! I could be reading about Arsenal or Ajax!!!

Well done to the lads & JP and all of you guys that travelled up today. I am buzzing here tonight and cant wait for tuesday night!

COYR

i agree saints were good today. i heard the new svensson song but didnt quite catch all the words. can anyone help, its really bugging me.

Oh Michael Svensson,

you are the love of my life.

Oh Michael Svensson,

I'd let you **** my wife.

Oh Michael Svensson,

I want ginger hair too . . .

(repeat)

That one by any chance?

Believe the hype. We were absolutely fantastic, especially in the second half where we came out of the blocks brilliantly and then just didn't let up.

I've never seen so many backheels, nutmegs and just clever, pretty, incisive football.

Scheiderlin was my MOTM. Just the abilitly to hold the ball for a few second and knock a simple ball, or spray a long ball to switch play. He was at the heart of our play.

Hats off to Jamie White - I looked skyward when his name was read out, but he was superb. Great performances all over the pitch - Surman great, Lallana class, James good, Gillett full energy.

The pressure is on McGoldrick now though - with build up play that fantastic, we need to take the chances. Even the goal required a couple of bites of the cherry.

Even the substitutions were genius - Wotton was exactly what we needed when he came on. Just a bit of solidity to break up the (admittedly weak and desperate) Derby attacks.

And even the final minutes weren't fraught or nervous. We ran the ball into the corner, and just contained Derby. We'd destroyed them by then.

I saw the Brum game last week and thought we were flattering to decieve. Now, I think we can really, really deliver.

Well done the team, well done Poortvliet.

I'm a pessimistic old tw at usually, but today I am buzzing.

You mean we played professionally!!!???

That alone shows that we finally have players trying to get the basics right.

Just back too (well i guess most were on the same bus so we all back at same time!) and one word i would use to describe the performance is "outstanding", the lads did us proud. It wasen't easy as the crowd was hostile (understandable) but they showed they are a team that will stand up when the pressure is on and do well. They could/should of won by miles as make no mistake this was a mauling in every area except the score. Just before we scored Davis made a simply amazing save when he had a 1 on 1, i wonder how many of us thought that was 1-0 to Derby then? Gillet was my man of the match followed closely by Lallanna. In truth they all played well and James White i felt did superb. But it also must be mentioned JP got the tactics spot on. It takes balls to drop a player like John. Superb performance and i know if we play like that for the rest of the season we will be fine!

Was nice to see the crowds respect for Holmes too.

On another note how on earth does Jewell who hasen't won a game at all in over 31 matches keep his job? I was looking at him in the game and he did fook all, just sat there probably thinking about making videos ;) Personally i think Derby deserve what is happening to them for the way they treated Davies.

That save from Davis was superb, if that had gone in we would have been in trouble. It seems playing with a good settled defence is making Davis a lot better.

If we had a out and out goal scorer we would have scored 1/2 a dozen today.

I haven't seen SFC play like that in the last 20 odd years!

Lets hope that the win gives them the confidence needed to ignite the season.

This all sounds brilliant to me. Hats off the JP, the coaches and players. Isn't it great to have something to be happy about.

Puts last season into its true perspective.

The last great Saints game I recall was not the 80s but when we beat Spurs 4-0 in our cup final season under WGS. I recall the Coldplay bloke calling it "liquid football". Sounds like today was the same. Lets have more of the same.

I will use my last post of the day to say.....

This football team is good enough to get us promoted to the Premier League. I really do think that Play-Offs are a realistic goal, and if they carry on like they have started this season, then Automatic promotion is not out of the question.

Forget the first two games, t chey played the football but could not convert it into wins, I believe this was because they were still finding the balance, they have now.

We never looked like losing today, as soon as the scrappy first 15 minutesalmed down and we could play football, we did..... and in some fookin style.

Big middle finger up to the bookies who had us as favourites to go down, not a fookin chance, seriously.

Just because Derby where sh!te in the Premier, they have one of the best teams in this division..... and we were ten times the team they were.

Just got back. Have to agree with all the comments above.

We were just damn good all over the park for 93 minutes, yes Derby were worse than poor but we were really up for it, the tackling back as A TEAM when we lost possession was excellent.

No point me scoring players as I think they all gave 110%

Except:

Only downside for me was Surman, still seems out of sorts, obviously doesn't like playing LB, lost the ball, wayward passes and got caught in possession to often.

Even KB had a good one, he still gives me the willies when the ball comes anywhere near the box from corners, free kicks etc, but what some saves, class, get us in game, absolutely no doubt.

Finally if only we had somebody who good stick the ball in the net, because after these 3 league games I believe we would be unbeaten.

I will use my last post of the day to say.....

This football team is good enough to get us promoted to the Premier League. I really do think that Play-Offs are a realistic goal, and if they carry on like they have started this season, then Automatic promotion is not out of the question.

Forget the first two games, t chey played the football but could not convert it into wins, I believe this was because they were still finding the balance, they have now.

We never looked like losing today, as soon as the scrappy first 15 minutesalmed down and we could play football, we did..... and in some fookin style.

Big middle finger up to the bookies who had us as favourites to go down, not a fookin chance, seriously.

Just because Derby where sh!te in the Premier, they have one of the best teams in this division..... and we were ten times the team they were.

its early days

Not forgetting aswell that they were 2 tough games. We were more than in the Birmingham game until they changed it up at half time and turned on the style. They are a class above in this league and we still outplayed them for 45 minutes.

Even though we only have 3 points to show for it, it's been a very promising start to the season, and it gets a lot easier now.

There is no way in the world we will be involved in a relegation dogfight.

Not forgetting aswell that they were 2 tough games. We were more than in the Birmingham game until they changed it up at half time and turned on the style. They are a class above in this league and we still outplayed them for 45 minutes.

Even though we only have 3 points to show for it, it's been a very promising start to the season, and it gets a lot easier now.

There is no way in the world we will be involved in a relegation dogfight.

what about if we get 2 or 3 injured

We have Cork to cover Svensson (and from feedback i've heard, he would be more then worthy), and a whole load of other nippers to step in in any other position, and Jan is looking at more signings.

Nothing to worry about.

Did anyone else spot LM and LC at the match today? Broad grins all round from what I could see! It was a good performance by the youngsters but against a poor Derby team. Last week Birmingham spolit our game by compressing the play in the 2nd half but Derby became more clueless and despondent as the game went on which doesn't bode well for Paul Jewell. As others have said, the play down the right was superb and it's a long time since I last saw a Saint's team so comfortable with the ball on the ground. I hope Jack Cork starts on Tuesday. He only had 15 minutes today but impressed for the time he was on.

Edited by gordonToo

We've already shown that it's not about who plays, if everyone is on the same page we can win games.

We still have experienced players who are yet to leave who can come back into the first team, seeing as we're still paying their wages, if we need them.

Please **** off. Thank you.

I'm as chuffed about the result as anyone else, but he does have a point, the squad dosen't have that strength in depth compared to other in this league, a few big injuries could hurt us....then again, I suppose it gives another nipper the chance.

This is what the rams forum is saying about our win:

""The visitors played out the final few minutes fairly unhindered and, although they must be pleased with the result and their performance, they surely won`t be troubling the top end of the table this season and this has to go down as another disappointing result or the Rams.""

Oh really, lets hope the rest of the league think like that and we'll shock a few more.

I'm as chuffed about the result as anyone else, but he does have a point, the squad dosen't have that strength in depth compared to other in this league, a few big injuries could hurt us....then again, I suppose it gives another nipper the chance.

I'm not so sure that's the case. We're a bit short upfront but JP says he's looking to bring someone in and we maybe lack cover for Surman if Skacel ends up leaving.

Bialkowski

Forecast

Thomas

Lancashire

Mills

Hatch

Wotton

Cork

Thomson

John

Dyer

Wright-Phillips

Skacel

Euell

All outside of the starting XI today and all look like they will be able to do a job for us this season. I know one or two of those might leave before the window shuts but I reckon a few will be still be here and in contention.

just walked in the front door, my voice is gone! that was the best Saints performance i have seen in years the quotes above just some up what a great day its been. Im the same as ladysaint i havent stopped talking about how well we have played all the way home, things really do look up

COYS!!

P.S. will upload some video clips in a min

i'm chuffed aswell but i don't think we should get too carried away that's all

Also back form the game, and what a game!

We were outstanding, particularly in the second half, Derby couldn't get the ball off us. I agree with the comments about the team and Schneiderlin was my MOTM today, he will achieve great things in the future.

Kelvin looked good in goal, he made a great save from their corner, but he didn't look confident on a couple of occasions. In the first half a hoofed ball forward bounced on the edge of the box, but both Svensson and Kelvin left it, putting their striker through 1 on 1. Also I still don't think Surman looks comfortable at LB, but James looks to be a solid right back.

That win meant so much today, not only did we need it to kick-start our season, but it felt good to beat them after the play-off defeat.

BTW song of the day had to be 'on the pitch'

Yes we played really good football

Yes Schneiderlin was imperious

Yes Gillett was a Duracel bunny.

Yes, some of the youngsters (James, Lallana, Holmes) were very good.

Yes Kelvin did a fine job - as he often does.

But, although we should have scored 3, we could have conceded 3 in the first half.

And we do need to finish better 1-0 is never good enough.

Ok, so some people are already itching to say I'm pouring cold water on a good performance.

I'm not saying we weren't good.

I'm saying there are some people on this thread who are getting things out of perspective.

Good performance. Important for confidence. But there were weaknesses (Surman was one) and stronger sides will exploit them if we just gloss over them.