'Doing a Southampton' is the new 'Doing a Leeds'...

Minty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/8033229.stm

And so, something we once 'aspired' to, is now what David Gold and Birningham aspire to... Given our predicament after such a proclaimation, I might put a fiver on Birmingham going into Administration...

I'd be surprised if Sullivan & Gold would ever allow Birmingham to reach such depths

Also, we never slipped off the glass mountain like Leeds - they went from semi-final of the 'Champions League' to L1 ( a far more impressive decline than ours)

At the end of the day, anyone of the top flight teams can take a dive. Let them gloat now, but the day will come, when the money disappears, and their ivory towers will come crashing down. You only have to look at the debt some of them have, it's fine to say 'yeh but we're servicing that debt'...........they only do so because of the customer base, a commodity, they are taking the preverbial p1ss out of.

IMHO of course.

Whats the answer?

(1) Spend silly money on players and wages to hold your own in the Premiership and hope the players gel quick enough to pick up some points to survive, If you fail then you are stuck in the championship with high earners that will bleed the finances dry.

(2) Spend wisely and hope the likes of your average players can take on the establised Premiership players, Take Hull for that example and now they are in freefall.

(3) Stay in the championship and enjoy winning more often :-)

Edited by Pilchards

Whats the answer?

(1) Spend silly money on players and wages to hold your own in the Premiership and hope the players gel quick enough to pick up some points to survive, If you fail then you are stuck in the championship with high earners that will bleed the finances dry.

(2) Spend wisely and hope the likes of your average players can take on the establised Premiership players, Take Hull for that example and now they are in freefall.

(3) Stay in the championship and enjoy winning more often :-)

Tbh without a mega rich sugar daddy you have no choice apart from (3)

Tbh without a mega rich sugar daddy you have no choice apart from (3)

Actually I think you can cope in the PL on gates like ours and the SKY money.

Problem is, without a sugar daddy it becomes impossible when that inevitable bad season comes around. Just look at Charlton and us.Sooner or later it happens.

Also, as brum have showed, the sugar daddy helps you keep your nerve when you do get relegated. I think I heard that their salaries were at £21 m. And they have had pathetic attendances as well

I'd be surprised if Sullivan & Gold would ever allow Birmingham to reach such depths

Also, we never slipped off the glass mountain like Leeds - they went from semi-final of the 'Champions League' to L1 ( a far more impressive decline than ours)

Shall we wait until we know that we have ended the decline before we make these sorts of statements...?;)

Reading that article, the gaulling thing is that Saints were an established Premiership club. It was all the rule changes and restrictions that worked against the club during the 80's and 90's that led it down the path to a new stadium, and gross mismanagement.

I read Duncan's post on I Blame Hitler... with a chuckle. Great stuff. But it's also true that there were other mitigating circumstances. First, the search for a new stadium site. Duncan mentioned it, and it was the gross failure to get one found and built that meant Saints really felt the bite when the league clubs decided to keep all the home gate. Next, the ground safety restrictions meant 15,251 at The Dell was way under what was needed to stay competitive. Then the glamour of the Premiership meant that the big teams would get the most exposure, and with it most of the money. So the rich got richer.

But Bolton did it. Middlesbrough did it. Huddersfield did it, Stoke and Hull City, and some others I can't think of at present. They all built impressive stadiums by some means or other, and haven't gone out of business, despite not being ever present in the Premiership, or at all. And to compare Saints with Leeds is to completely wash over the detail. Sure, the end has been similar, but Leeds hit the high spots. They really went for it in a big way, and spent huge amounts of money. I can't honestly see where Saints did, and we certainly didn't live the dream. Post the FA Cup, I thought that was on its way.

The bank manager did end up picking the team, didn't he Rupert..!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/8033229.stm

And so, something we once 'aspired' to, is now what David Gold and Birningham aspire to... Given our predicament after such a proclaimation, I might put a fiver on Birmingham going into Administration...

Slightly different I would say.

Leeds decided to pish it all over the side before taking their tumble down the cliff.

Saints waited until they slipped to the first ledge before deciding to pish theirs over the edge, then taking the resulting tumble onwards and downwards.