Numbers Stations

Saint-Armstrong

As a kid in the 60's and early 70's I always had an old "Bush" type valve radio in my bedroom. I remember them well.

(Southampton nil was one of the numbers I remember hearing very frequently back in those days)

i watched a movie bout this not so long ago. I think it was even called numbers station. In it, IIRC, someone was trying to steal the numbers + someone was trying to stop them stealing the numbers. I can't remember how it turned out :(

i watched a movie bout this not so long ago. I think it was even called numbers station. In it, IIRC, someone was trying to steal the numbers + someone was trying to stop them stealing the numbers. I can't remember how it turned out :(

No someone was trying to send messages which ended in a lot of CIA wallahs getting topped by their own agents. Good guy + girl won in the end, rode off into the sunset, after being patched up for multiple gunshot wounds of course.

Anyone can look up numbers stations, there's a youtube of the BBC radio broadcast available. Good old system,one way, no electronic trace and undecipherable if you don't have the one off code book.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Was this the weird stuff that I first experienced as a young ball fiddling with my knob in bed trying to find Radio Luxembourg – or was that something else? :?

depends if you were equipped for short wave reception I'd expect. Most of these transmissions are high frequency shortwave.

HAM radio amateurs pick them up all of the time.

All very mysterious and creepy.

Anyone else see about these on the BBC? Have been doing a lot more reading and listening since and it's quite fascinating...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Conet-Project-Recordings-Shortwave/dp/B00BFEWC2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398420389&sr=8-1&keywords=conet+project

Often wonder why Lincolnshire Poacher and Cherry Ripe went off-air.

Edited by alpine_saint