Southampton Half Marathon 2015

Quickfire Double

I've just signed up to run the new Southampton half that's kicking off next year: http://marafunuk.com/

It's the day after the Spuds home game, so I might make a weekend of it! It's also the same day as the London Marathon, so I'll have to give that a swerve if I get a ballot place.

Anyone on here signed up, or likely to?

I'm going to. Looks like a nice route through all the parks and looks like it will be well organised. Shame it doesn't go out to Netley though.

Ooh, nice. Yup, might do this if I don't get the London place.

I'd normally take the same approach, but I've done London, and it's 2 weeks after the Brighton Marathon, which I do every year, so I've decided I'm doing this!

I should probably see if I can withdraw my VLM ballot application. Good luck in the ballot, hope you get the "yes" magazine!

I'd normally take the same approach, but I've done London, and it's 2 weeks after the Brighton Marathon, which I do every year, so I've decided I'm doing this!

I should probably see if I can withdraw my VLM ballot application. Good luck in the ballot, hope you get the "yes" magazine!

Cheers. Hopefully doing both London and Brighton, with Brentwood half (my local) as a warm up at the end of March.

Good luck to you too then Minty. I wish the London ballot was more like Berlin's: theirs took a month for the first ballot results to come out, and a further two weeks for the second ballot (which I got in on!)

I did the Brighton / London double in 2012 Pancake. They were a week apart that year, and my legs didn't thank me for it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've signed up. Haven't started training yet. In fact I haven't done anything that could be called exercise since last year.

I did really enjoy exercise but the birth of my firt child has put a stop to it for a while. I need to start training for this soon though. I will be doing park runs on a saturday and I'm thinking of getting myself one of those running buggys so that the boy can come along. Does anyone on here have any experience of using one?

• 2 weeks later...

I have signed up for this, two weeks after Brighton so ive no idea what sort of condition my legs will be in. I've been running a fair bit of the course recently. The hardest parts seem to be over the itchen bridge and back again, up Burgess road and then through the common up the parkrun hill.

Should be a good event, I really hope they sell out and it happens every year.

The Lordshil 10m event is a month away now and it's a great flat course with support all the way round. http://www.lordshillroadrunners.org.uk/lordshill-10-mile/

• 1 month later...

I'm in. I missed out on London so have signed up for Barcelona marathon instead, but that's on March 15th so should have plenty of time to recover for Southampton half.

There are more local races than you might think. I see that Lordshill 10 mile has been mentioned, that's part of Hampshire Road Race League (HRRL) which is 12 races between September and June. Solent half marathon was good, started and finished at Blackfield & Langley's ground, out to Exbury then back along Lepe beach. Gosport half is tomorrow which is a good one, and I hear that Salisbury 10 in March is a good one. I didn't think much of Lordshill, lots of very poorly surfaced lanes and tracks for a road race, and the weather didn't do any favours.

• 2 weeks later...
I have signed up for this, two weeks after Brighton so ive no idea what sort of condition my legs will be in. I've been running a fair bit of the course recently. The hardest parts seem to be over the itchen bridge and back again, up Burgess road and then through the common up the parkrun hill.

Should be a good event, I really hope they sell out and it happens every year.

The Lordshil 10m event is a month away now and it's a great flat course with support all the way round. http://www.lordshillroadrunners.org.uk/lordshill-10-mile/

Burgess Road is a real dog at the end of a marathon (as it was when Southampton had a marathon anyway) perhaps after 19 k or so it won't be so bad but that remains to be seen? The bridge is ok if there's not much wind but if you've got a 3/4 head wind in one direction or other it's a pain. Never run over it in competion in the two directions so may not be so easy on the way back. Old soton marathon went town-woolston just the once and iirc there wasn't too much wind that day, Peartree Avenue is a bit of a drag though, then again I haven't looked at the route yet but if you go over the bridge unless there's a loop round Netley or something you have to go up Peartree a bit I think, or Newtown Rd which can't be much better. NB I ran Lordshill once, doesn't it go up Toot Hill anymore, if it does it's certainly not flat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Burgess Road is a real dog at the end of a marathon (as it was when Southampton had a marathon anyway) perhaps after 19 k or so it won't be so bad but that remains to be seen? The bridge is ok if there's not much wind but if you've got a 3/4 head wind in one direction or other it's a pain. Never run over it in competion in the two directions so may not be so easy on the way back. Old soton marathon went town-woolston just the once and iirc there wasn't too much wind that day, Peartree Avenue is a bit of a drag though, then again I haven't looked at the route yet but if you go over the bridge unless there's a loop round Netley or something you have to go up Peartree a bit I think, or Newtown Rd which can't be much better. NB I ran Lordshill once, doesn't it go up Toot Hill anymore, if it does it's certainly not flat.

Lordshill 10 doesn't go up Toothill anymore! luckily for anyone who runs it, it's mostly around Nursling.

Im pretty sure the Southampton Half route is over the itches bridge, turn around and run over it again, then up towards Northam bridge , through Bitterne that was up to the top of burgess road and then down to the common.

Lordshill 10 doesn't go up Toothill anymore! luckily for anyone who runs it, it's mostly around Nursling.

Im pretty sure the Southampton Half route is over the itches bridge, turn around and run over it again, then up towards Northam bridge , through Bitterne that was up to the top of burgess road and then down to the common.

I am sweating just reading that.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing food and training wise in the last couple of weeks leading up to this? Should I be easing off the miles and concentrating on shorter, faster runs/intervals?

Lots of pasta or stick with the beer and cakes?

Just done 10K so am starting to think I may actually get through it.

All advice gratefully received!

You don't get the fitness benefit from training until a couple of weeks later, so aim to run your final long run a fortnight before. Then yes, reduce your mileage but not necessarily the intensity over the next week then the final week you'll want to just keep things ticking over with easy/steady runs.

For a half marathon you don't need to spend days stuffing your face with carbs, just be sensible. I usually go for a decent helping of pasta the night before, then porridge and a banana in the morning. I find porridge takes ages to go down though so I always have it 2.5-3 hours before. Don't try something for the first time on race day, it's all about trial and error and what works for you so try it before long training runs. Save the beer and cakes for afterwards, it's excellent post-race fuel!

Barcelona marathon for me this weekend. Training hasn't been great due to an injury in November, and I've come down with a cold so not even 100% that I'm going to run it. Still, a week in Spain should be fun.

You don't get the fitness benefit from training until a couple of weeks later, so aim to run your final long run a fortnight before. Then yes, reduce your mileage but not necessarily the intensity over the next week then the final week you'll want to just keep things ticking over with easy/steady runs.

For a half marathon you don't need to spend days stuffing your face with carbs, just be sensible. I usually go for a decent helping of pasta the night before, then porridge and a banana in the morning. I find porridge takes ages to go down though so I always have it 2.5-3 hours before. Don't try something for the first time on race day, it's all about trial and error and what works for you so try it before long training runs. Save the beer and cakes for afterwards, it's excellent post-race fuel!

Barcelona marathon for me this weekend. Training hasn't been great due to an injury in November, and I've come down with a cold so not even 100% that I'm going to run it. Still, a week in Spain should be fun.

Thanks Jack. Kind of looking forward to it now in a weird way!

Thanks Jack. Kind of looking forward to it now in a weird way!

I am too, it'll be great to race in Southampton. Just keep slowly increasing your weekly long run and you'll do fine. You've got 4 more weekends before you ease off so I'd say ramp it up by a mile or so per week, if you can get past double figures in training then the buzz of being in a race will get you through the rest.

• 5 weeks later...

How's everyone's training gone then?

I am running the manchester marathon tomorrow and then a recovery week before pacing my brother next weekend.

Hoping to break 3 hours again tomorrow but won't trouble my PB next weekend.. Just looking forwards to running with my bro and seeing the city from different perspective.

Mine was going really well up to about a month ago - since then family stuff and a dose of flu that has knocked me out for the last two weeks and my goals have changed! Was hoping to get around in 1:45 but now I'm just looking forward to getting round and enjoying the day. Looking forward to it, it's my first and probably only 1/2 marathon so at least it will be a personal best ;-)

Good luck to all those who are running.

Did my longest run last Sunday (20k) round most of the half marathon course, so all being well, should be fine next weekend.

Not bad considering I had done no running or exercise of any kind before Christmas!

Taking it nice and easy this week.

2:58:15 today at manc marathon. Nursed some hamstring cramp home but delighted to post another sub 3.

Legs are wrecked tho. Will be a very slow jog round next weekend.

That's a great time, an hour and 45 min quicker than my one and only marathon!

2:58:15 today at manc marathon. Nursed some hamstring cramp home but delighted to post another sub 3.

Legs are wrecked tho. Will be a very slow jog round next weekend.

Great effort. I've got 2 marathons under my belt, but both have ended up with me being injured. My next target is sub-3 but I really need a few months solid training without time out injured. Barcelona was a month ago and I'm having trouble with my knee so won't be running on Sunday. Gutted.

Cheers guys,

I can walk unassisted up and down the stairs today so should be ok to run on Sunday. I will go for a little jog to test things out later today.

As for being a different species... That was my third sub-three albeit last one was in 2010 so quite a break! I achieved them all on roughly 50 miles per week average over a 16 week build-up. It's not that hardcore really. I think to get down to 2:45 - 2:50 I would need to up that mileage to around 70 mpw which is probably too much time commitment for me.

The training basically consisted of the long run which I built up to 22 miles. I did 6 x 20+ milers in training. A medium midweek long run of around 12 - 14 miles and a tempo run which I built up to 10 miles (faster than planned marathon pace). All other running was slow stuff just to get the mileage up. I should say I also did 8 weeks of base building before Christmas which consisted of lots of running at 8:00-9:00 /mile just to get the legs prepared for the marathon training. Having done all that I still had cramp in my right hamstring on Sunday resulting in a couple of stops to stretch and possibly a minute lost.

I'm not sure I will do another marathon this year as Sunday's time gives me a 'good for age' entry into London next year.

@adriansfc I recommend Manchester as an alternative to London (if you are unsuccessful again) as its a fast, flat course with great support.

The 3 hour and below marathoners seem a different species. I'm chuffed to have done 4! Would have to train full time to get to 3:30!

Had to drop out the soton half as I can't get back, annoying really would have been good. Need to find another half soon but no idea what. Amsterdam marathon again in October. Will apply for london again for the 8th time in a row but doubt I'll get in!

Please tell me you don't literally mean 8 failed applications! :eek:

I've applied twice and got in once (on ironically my first ever application). Would love to do it again, as is such a wonderful experience. With so much going on, it also makes it a more enjoyable day for those coming to watch you.

Cheers guys,

I can walk unassisted up and down the stairs today so should be ok to run on Sunday. I will go for a little jog to test things out later today.

As for being a different species... That was my third sub-three albeit last one was in 2010 so quite a break! I achieved them all on roughly 50 miles per week average over a 16 week build-up. It's not that hardcore really. I think to get down to 2:45 - 2:50 I would need to up that mileage to around 70 mpw which is probably too much time commitment for me.

The training basically consisted of the long run which I built up to 22 miles. I did 6 x 20+ milers in training. A medium midweek long run of around 12 - 14 miles and a tempo run which I built up to 10 miles (faster than planned marathon pace). All other running was slow stuff just to get the mileage up. I should say I also did 8 weeks of base building before Christmas which consisted of lots of running at 8:00-9:00 /mile just to get the legs prepared for the marathon training. Having done all that I still had cramp in my right hamstring on Sunday resulting in a couple of stops to stretch and possibly a minute lost.

I'm not sure I will do another marathon this year as Sunday's time gives me a 'good for age' entry into London next year.

@adriansfc I recommend Manchester as an alternative to London (if you are unsuccessful again) as its a fast, flat course with great support.

How do you find your legs hold up Jason? Really stepped up the training this year, but felt like one problem after another as the mileage went up.

How do you find your legs hold up Jason? Really stepped up the training this year, but felt like one problem after another as the mileage went up.

How quickly did you step up the training?

I'm as guilty as the next runner for trying to get the mileage up too quick. I have had very off / on training over the past few years because of family issues and work commitments and plenty of CNBA. So I basically had to start from a fairly low base again. The key for me was as I mentioned in my previous post - lots of slow paced stuff to build a base. I used a HR monitor to stay low in my HR zone which at first had me running so slow it was painful. I kept this up all last autumn. This gave me the platform to start running 50+ mpw in January and I kept that up with the exception of cut-back weeks. They are really important to incorporate if you don't already. Give yourself an easier week every 3-4 weeks to allow the body to adapt/recover.

Also be careful not to run all your runs too fast. I have slowed a lot of my basic running down now as I get older. I am 41 and so can't hammer every training session. For marathon training there is no need to run a lot of sessions fast anyway since the marathon is 80% aerobic. So, a lot of my training paces for recovery runs and long runs were 8 - 8:30m/m pace. Long runs can be MP (marathon pace) + 60 seconds. Recovery paces can be slower still.

I got a ballot place for London with my first attempt too! It's so rare though. That was for last year, didn't get in this year so ran Barcelona instead, highly recommended. I'll be in the ballot for London again, if not I think it'll be Manchester or Brighton, unless I get talked into another jaunt abroad for one.

Some sound advice there from Jason, I've been guilty of not doing the slow stuff slow enough. I've never used HRM but believe I now get into the right zones.

Good luck everyone running this weekend.

Congrats GB! Easy going?

Not too bad. Felt pretty good at the end so probably could have gone a bit quicker. Happy to get round though and really enjoyed it. Great to have so many people cheering us on all the way around the course.

Not too bad. Felt pretty good at the end so probably could have gone a bit quicker. Happy to get round though and really enjoyed it. Great to have so many people cheering us on all the way around the course.

You should keep going with it!

After your efforts, I'm feeling inspired to take up running again.

I've kind of agreed to do the New Forest Half/Full marathon in September. Fancy giving it a go?

Well done mate. I thought you planned to never do more than 10k again, so you could resume drinking like a fish. Changing your tune that quickly, it must have been a breeze!

Well done mate. I thought you planned to never do more than 10k again, so you could resume drinking like a fish. Changing your tune that quickly, it must have been a breeze!

Felt pretty good so what the hell. On my 4th pint now and my hamstrings are yelling at me!!

Well done Goatboy. Beer is the best recovery fuel I find, just drink loads of water later and when the DOMS really kicks in.

All this racing today has made me really jealous, as well as inspired. Can't wait to get over this injury and get back out there. A bloke from my club ran a 2:33 PB today. 5:50 pace. Absolutely unreal, I can't run 5k at that pace, it's amazing that people can keep it up for 42k!

Well done Goatboy. Beer is the best recovery fuel I find, just drink loads of water later and when the DOMS really kicks in.

All this racing today has made me really jealous, as well as inspired. Can't wait to get over this injury and get back out there. A bloke from my club ran a 2:33 PB today. 5:50 pace. Absolutely unreal, I can't run 5k at that pace, it's amazing that people can keep it up for 42k!

Thanks Jack, and thanks for your advice. I felt like part of a new community today and I liked it a lot.

Thanks Jack, and thanks for your advice. I felt like part of a new community today and I liked it a lot.

No worries, it wasn't long ago that I was taking similar advice. It's addictive, my first race was the Great South Run in 2013, I just entered it to get fit and lose some weight at the time. Before all that I was 4 stone heavier than I am now, I smoked and drank too much. I got completely hooked and started learning about proper training, and started running marathons and halfs. At Great South Run 2014 I was 14 mins quicker than the year before and got in the top 300. If I can do that then anyone can with a bit of decent training!

This was my first half marathon and my official chip time was 01:54:59 which as a first attempt and a veteran male of 42 years old I am very happy with. It was great to see the people of Southampton come out to watch and support everyone and I really hope this event continues and becomes a huge success.

I am not sure what other people who took part thought but I had a couple of points I think need improving. There was a bottle neck in the ocean village area which was so early on in the race it ground everyone to a complete halt. As I said this was my first event but my experience in the finishing funnel was awful, there was not enough space, it was very disorganized and was the last thing you needed after completing 13.1 miles.

I failed in my pace-making duties to get my bro round in 1:45... we crossed the line together in 1:46:59 although to be fair to me he was struggling from 8 miles on with a tight hamstring and even my encouragement couldn't lift him until we got back to the Avenue on the run in to the finish.

On the whole I thought it was a decent event. I thought Hoglands Park served as an excellent starting venue (I managed to meet Le Tiss and get a photo). However, as the organiser has already said on the Echo website, route changes might happen next year. I think this is necessary in a few places if they increase the numbers to 10,000 as also mentioned in the same Echo article.

The narrowness of the route through the Ocean Village section as highlighted by Ewell will need a re-think. I also agree the finish area was badly thought out. The sharp right-hand turns into the finish line were bad. Its the last thing you want to do at the end of a race especially as runners invariable sprint for the line. Also the finishing chute fed you straight into the bottleneck of the end of the course so runners couldn't escape back down the high street but had to squeeze down the congested pavements either-side of the finishing chute. I can't imagine the congestion improving with an extra 5,000 runners (official results suggest less than 5,000 completed yesterdays half marathon). Surely the race has to finish in either East Park or Palmerston Park? I personally would cut out the Uni and Common sections and use the Avenue as much as possible as an out-and-back section.

I few of the climbs could be cut out too as making the course faster will raise its profile in the running calendar but that's a subjective opinion.

Highlights for me were the Itchen Bridge and the crowd support. Fantastic to see so many people out supporting and a lot offering sweets/drinks etc. I wish I was running it flat out in a way because the support was great.

A good start and with a bit of tinkering could become a very good race.

How quickly did you step up the training?

I'm as guilty as the next runner for trying to get the mileage up too quick. I have had very off / on training over the past few years because of family issues and work commitments and plenty of CNBA. So I basically had to start from a fairly low base again. The key for me was as I mentioned in my previous post - lots of slow paced stuff to build a base. I used a HR monitor to stay low in my HR zone which at first had me running so slow it was painful. I kept this up all last autumn. This gave me the platform to start running 50+ mpw in January and I kept that up with the exception of cut-back weeks. They are really important to incorporate if you don't already. Give yourself an easier week every 3-4 weeks to allow the body to adapt/recover.

Also be careful not to run all your runs too fast. I have slowed a lot of my basic running down now as I get older. I am 41 and so can't hammer every training session. For marathon training there is no need to run a lot of sessions fast anyway since the marathon is 80% aerobic. So, a lot of my training paces for recovery runs and long runs were 8 - 8:30m/m pace. Long runs can be MP (marathon pace) + 60 seconds. Recovery paces can be slower still.

I effectively followed this programme: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml.

Interesting what you say about the 80% aerobic figure which is very true. What was frustrating about this time round was that fitness wise, I felt capable, but there was always another niggle on the horizon.

Suffering from classic Runners Knee at the moment, but that seems to be slowly fading which is good. Running the Milton Keynes half next week which will be interesting as looks to be quite flat and a good opportunity for a PB.