"Dubious Goals Panel"

fanimal

Just seen on SSN that Kanes 3rd goal v Leicester, which was going wide before it deflected off Huth, will stand for him; yet Pelles and Mane's shots were own goals.

Who on earth is on the is Panel, because stone me they are Dubious to say the least!

I'm not one to assert conspiracy or anything (in football governance, incompetence is normally an adequate and highly likely explanation) but the decision to take Mane's goal against Sunderland away from him is up right up there as one of the most baffling developments of recent time. He gets in front of his man, makes firm contact with the ball, and directs it towards goal from close range. It brushes off someone's boot, with no obvious effect on the velocity on the ball or impact on the likelihood of the 'keeper saving it.

No one in their right mind who saw the goal in real time would think "own goal".

The, on the other hand, you have scuffed shots, sliced shots etc that take a huge diversion thanks to a meaty thwack off a defender which are credited to strikers.

Very odd indeed.

Seriously? As soon as I saw the goal I thought it shouldn't count as his, but then I immediately thought, "He's English and it's his first hat-trick, so they'll allow it." They are so inconsistent. There was a goal earlier in the season - Peter Crouch I think - which I was surprised to see not go down as an own goal. Crouch headed the ball parallel to the goal line and it was carried over the line by a defender sliding in to try and clear. I'm really rather confused what they look for.

Just seen on SSN that Kanes 3rd goal v Leicester, which was going wide before it deflected off Huth, will stand for him; yet Pelles and Mane's shots were own goals.

Who on earth is on the is Panel, because stone me they are Dubious to say the least!

Well that's an absolute bloody travesty.

I'm not one to assert conspiracy or anything (in football governance, incompetence is normally an adequate and highly likely explanation) but the decision to take Mane's goal against Sunderland away from him is up right up there as one of the most baffling developments of recent time. He gets in front of his man, makes firm contact with the ball, and directs it towards goal from close range. It brushes off someone's boot, with no obvious effect on the velocity on the ball or impact on the likelihood of the 'keeper saving it.

No one in their right mind who saw the goal in real time would think "own goal".

The, on the other hand, you have scuffed shots, sliced shots etc that take a huge diversion thanks to a meaty thwack off a defender which are credited to strikers.

Very odd indeed.

Actually Van Aanholt's deflection was massive and completely changed the direction of the shot - the issue is that there was no way that the dubious goals committee could possible have known if Mane's contact was already on target or not. Whilst Kane's DEFINITELY WASN'T.