Wanyama Future

Saint Charlie

can't make my mind up about Victor.

He's a powerful presence in midfield, and although he isn't a clumsy tackler, it always seems that the opponents come off worst, and he gets yellow-carded far too easily.

He's put in some very good performances but lacks consistantcy, and that's important in his role.

I don't believe there is a great deal of interest from other Prem. sides (according to certain media sources), and so if a good offer came along... I think we ought to consider it as he is yet another £12 million signing who hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

What were your expectations when we signed him, out of interest?

So many of the squad are still going on about top 4 which worries me as we have little to no chance.

I noticed that Clyne has covered his ass (in case we make CL) by saying he wants champions league football AND to challenge for the title.

I noticed that Clyne has covered his ass (in case we make CL) by saying he wants champions league football AND to challenge for the title.

Yep, quickly added that little gen didnt he ?

Only so many players can be at the top four clubs, the rest have to make do with 5/6/7th......what a shame we arent in the top 6 or 7.........oh....... :?

What were your expectations when we signed him, out of interest?

whatever I thought then, it seems the media considerably over-estimated his qualities, after he scored (for Celtic) against Barca' in the CL , which seemed to suggest he was a goal-getting midfielder, and although he has scored a few since..... he often shoots closer to the corner flag, than the goal.

Saints were "stung" on the fee, as his agent had claimed there was a £12 million bid on him from Cardiff (then Prem.) but Cardiff later denied any such interest / bid.

Of course " a mere £12 mill" . is only chicken feed in the Prem.- isnt it ?... but he's one of our most expensive signing, and maybe I expected " something more "

but then again ...Ramirez, Osvaldo and Long all came for similar fees and also failed " to set the world alight" .

It's not that I don't rate him, but somehow he's lacked the same aggression and enthusiasm that we first saw - since returning from injury in winter 2013.

However, I'm only one man with an opinion, maybe everyone else disagrees with me, too.

Edited by david in sweden

whatever I thought then, it seems the media considerably over-estimated his qualities, after he scored (for Celtic) against Barca' in the CL , which seemed to suggest he was a goal-getting midfielder, and although he has scored a few since..... he often shoots closer to the corner flag, than the goal.

Saints were "stung" on the fee, as his agent had claimed there was a £12 million bid on him from Cardiff (then Prem.) but Cardiff later denied any such interest / bid.

Of course " a mere £12 mill" . is only chicken feed in the Prem.- isnt it ?... but he's one of our most expensive signing, and maybe I expected " something more "

but then again ...Ramirez, Osvaldo and Long all came for similar fees and also failed " to set the world alight" .

It's not that I don't rate him, but somehow he's lacked the same aggression and enthusiasm that we first saw - since returning from injury in winter 2013.

However, I'm only one man with an opinion, maybe everyone else disagrees with me, too.

I disagree with you.

He is a beast. We had been crying out for a player like vic imho and we are a far better side when he is playing.

Or he might have been told he needs to calm down a bit cause he gets booked alot and for a big bloke he does look very aggressive and intimidating.

I believe he is one of the top 3 defensive mids in the league and with only Matic and Morgan ahead i think that is very good for some one we only paid 12 million for considering we want 20 - 25 million for Morgan and victor is younger and will still keep improving in his game where Morgan is more a finished article and wont improve much now....

He is not a box to box mid so goals are not really any concern, if he bags 1 goal a season its all good. Roy Keane is considered as one of the best ever defensive mids and managed just 57 league goals in the best mid ever seen ( at the time ) i would not be shocked if Victor manages to grab 32 more goals in the next 10 - 13 years ( might be longer depends on when he wants to retire ). I rate him very highly and i would guess we will demand the same fee when he is sold as we will Morgan. i also believe he is more the reason for are solid defense than Morgan is, as Morgan seems to have a more advanced role in the team than victor does and is often found higher up the pitch too with Victor always taking the more defensive role.

I really dont know what more you could want from Wanyama in terms of the position he plays, Its not like Morgan has scored loads more goals, in terms of defensive work as i said he is in the top 3 in the league with Matic and Morgan so he must be doing some thing right to get the attention he gets............ he does need to improve his concentration a bit but apart from that he is a very solid defensive mid and i can not think of any player in the world i would rather have in his position apart from Morgan, i would even go over the top and say we currently have the two best defensive mids in the world, and im proud to say that they both currently play at Southampton FC.

.....and he is a far better player ....when he is playing, which unfortunately ...he will not be doing against Stoke ...and Spuds.

Did you forget that several of his yellows were deliberate fouls when he had no other option? I've often been grateful for a big Vic foul rather than the alternative.

Sorry mate but you're being a mong with that post.

If everything that Dave says is wrong that means that....

You disagree that:

Wanyama is a powerful presence in midfield :mcinnes:

Opponents usually come of worse when tackling him :lol:

He gets yellow carded to easily :(

^ To me, all of the above are true :smug:

You also disagree that:

He's put in some very good performances :scared:

he has lacked consistency over the two seasons :?

Both are true tbh.... :smug:

You also disagree with Dave when he says "I don't believe there isn't a great deal of interested from other prem sides" - I have no idea what you base your complaint with this is. Wanyama is hardly ever mentioned with a move away from saints. It is almost constantly Either Morgan, Clyne, Jayrod or young Calum Slattery.

Finally, at no point does Dave say we should accept a £12m bid for him, or that there is one incoming. :mcinnes:

Thanks for taking the time to rip apart another poster who drew your ire though :lol: ;)

In terms of his contract, I think he has a useful role to us and may well shine when Morgan leaves, much as Fonte has done without Dejan. But if he is not interested in signing a new deal and wants to tag the club along then I would also consider selling him for a tidy profit if the right bid came in. Not sure why you felt to rip another poster apart for a fairly logical post tbh.

A brilliantly detailed and accurate analysis of nearly all of the trees in the forest.