Contract Renewals

Saint Charlie

Of the players we signed last summer Pelle signed a three year deal (up end next season) and Tadic, Forster & Mane four years (up end 2017 season).

1. Would you approach all for extensions?

2. When is the right time to do so?

3. Do you think they would be keen?

4. How much of a factor is Koeman's position at the club?

Bertrand, VVD and Clasie all signed 5 year contracts which seems to be a slight shift in policy and a good one IMO as just gives a little more leeway.

If they're a key player, you'd think they'd be offered new ones between having about 2 years and 18 months before they run out. Problem with leaving it until 18 months, is that it's mid season, and if they leave it 6 months they're into their last year.

Probably also matters how much money they're on, and what they're demanding if they were to sign an extension.

1. Would you approach all for extensions?

Hard to say on a financial level because we don't know what the wage bill is this year, how much wriggle room we have with FFP, and what impact our new sponsorship deals will have in the summer on our budget for wages. I think with the new TV deal and presumed far better commercial income we have the ability to increase our wage bill a fair bit - but so do other clubs.

I'd offer Pelle a years extension to give both him and us that security - we'd have to starve off interest from Italy but with Jay Rod having a question mark against him (and being a different sort of player) we have no obvious successor to Pelle and that is a concern.

Tadic deserves a new deal if he can piece together a complete season - I'd wait until the summer in that case.

Sadly I think Mane is off but it will be for a club record fee.

Forster - I am not so sure - feel easier about keepers going into the last few years of their deal as the market for them is so much smaller. Who would he leave us for? Would he replace the keepers for any of the teams who finished above us last season? I don't think so myself.

2. When is the right time to do so?

Pelle - January

Tadic - summer

Mane - forget it, he's off.

Forster - 18 months (presuming he has proved he is back 100%)

3. Do you think they would be keen?

Pelle - maybe

Tadic - yes

Mane - no

Forster - yes

4. How much of a factor is Koeman's position at the club?

Not as much of a factor as money in my opinion.

I probably agree with the above although wouldnt let Forster get as far as another 18months.

Re Pelle, I think he may join one of the big Italian teams to ens his career, maybe on a free at the end of his contract, which is also the end of Koeman's.

Given that he has already suggested this in the press this week (Juventus), its not hard to think that, even with the Echo's half-arsed attempts to deny it.

I probably agree with the above although wouldnt let Forster get as far as another 18months.

Re Pelle, I think he may join one of the big Italian teams to ens his career, maybe on a free at the end of his contract, which is also the end of Koeman's.

TBH I'd be sorry to see them go, but if RK really likes the "Southampton Way " we might pay him enough to keep him longer, but is one of the best managers around.

Like Lambert to Liverpool, surely no-one could begrudge Pelle a season or two in his homeland, but we should hope it's a more successful move than Lambert's was.

I see the dynamics of player movements in the Premier League changing from next season. The huge increase in TV revenue could easily give Saints the opportunity to offer big wages to keep star players. I know they will still get more from Champions League clubs, but the thought of trying to build something here, getting a game every week, and earning more money they could ever spend, they might be more persuaded to stay.

You might also get a good few more fringe players at top clubs pushing for moves just to get a game. There will certainly be less Scott Sinclairs and Jack Rodwells.