The Pompey myth

Turkish

they were at it again tonight with Peter Begrie on the football league show. Talking about the crisis at Pompey and only one of 4 clubs without a win in th NPC, but Beagrie claimed 'one thing is for sure the fans will turn up in their numbers' now correct me if i am wrong, their crowds this season are around 16k, support about that of an average midtable NPC club. They struggled to sell their allocation for the FA cup semis and finals, so where the f*ck has this myth come from? I remember going back about 15 years them claming they had a hardcore of 50,000 fans, yet only 10,000 turned up for a game when Gregory was in charge and they were close to going under (again) and could have been their last ever game (again). Stats say their support is nothing better than midtable NPC and well below our support, so where does this myth about their great support come from? In 25 odd years of being a football fan i've seen nothing to back this up, not saying this with bias as a Saints fan, but it's like someone constantly claiming that Preston have massive support yet the stats prove otherwise.

Beagrie was the moron who wrote an idiotic article about Saints/Pardew a week or so ago- on the Sky Sports website I believe. Another ex footballer who probably knows less than the average fan but is still paid good money to spout nonsense.

I don't recall Pompey ever having great support and yet this myth has been perpetuated for years!

i agree, depsite all the sh*t their fans spout, their support is at best average. They struggled to filll Fratton when they had got over the novalty of being in top flight and over their one decent season. The fact that they struggled to sell their semi final allocation speaks volumes, can you imagine that ever happening to Saints? I just dont know where this myth comes from, as i say in 25 years of being a football fan as well a Saints fan i've never seen anything to suggest that their support, in terms of numbers anyway is any better than the likes of Reading, Preston, QPR and Coventry, certainly not worthy of the myth that seems to be associated with them.

I studied at Portsmouth in the 70's so had a few mates who supported Pompey. Went to a few games with them, bags of room and little atmosphere. The only time I recall a full house is whenever Saints played there and even then I suspect at least half of those who were there supporting Pompey were more interested in aggro.

Yep, it's fair to say their support is average, no better, no worse and certainly nothing to be mouthing off about.

they were at it again tonight with Peter Begrie on the football league show. Talking about the crisis at Pompey and only one of 4 clubs without a win in th NPC, but Beagrie claimed 'one thing is for sure the fans will turn up in their numbers' now correct me if i am wrong, their crowds this season are around 16k, support about that of an average midtable NPC club. They struggled to sell their allocation for the FA cup semis and finals, so where the f*ck has this myth come from? I remember going back about 15 years them claming they had a hardcore of 50,000 fans, yet only 10,000 turned up for a game when Gregory was in charge and they were close to going under (again) and could have been their last ever game (again). Stats say their support is nothing better than midtable NPC and well below our support, so where does this myth about their great support come from? In 25 odd years of being a football fan i've seen nothing to back this up, not saying this with bias as a Saints fan, but it's like someone constantly claiming that Preston have massive support yet the stats prove otherwise.

I can only think its because they have tcwtbe, sung when losing vs Arse and having good old Harry boy as their manager

I think it came from the cup game on the BBC when Arsenal ripped them a new one. They kept sing as the 5th or 6th goal went in, and the myth was made.

If Saints 6.0 win at Wolves had been live on the telly, the same could have been said about their fans '6,5 we're going to win 6,5' changing seamlessly to '7,6 ...' as our 6th goal went in.

The other thing I object to is the term 'Fratton Faithful' being used, just because both words start with the letter f . So does ****witt!

I think in the age of 'Premier League' football. Portsmouth in their 7 years in the top flight we're considered a throwback to a more down to earth and vocal support, dare I say it working class. Stoke, Wolves, West Brom and a few others gained recognition for their 'old school' style support also, it's a losing battle, when you pay £35+ for a ticket and your team serve you up sh*t, it is very difficult to still stand up and vocally back your team. The Premier league's games atmosphere's are generally terrible, I guess against this back drop Pompey and a few others have shone out (Though it's soon forgotten), Saints fans in their long Premier League tenure never did anything to stand out and create a (nationally recognised at any rate)fan Identity, but your not alone, your amongst a majority. I'm afraid with SMS come many benefits, but likewise a loss of soul.

When Lambert scored at SMS to level the game earlier this year the roar could be heard in Fareham, but your battlers needed your intense vocal support when they proceeded to go 1-2, 1-3 and finally 1-4 down again against Pompey. But you didn't provide it. Portsmouth fans (for better and for worse) have a beligerance about them that you'll never have again (Maybe some who regularly attended games at the old Dell will remember a time when you did?). But you do get bigger crowds of silent bi-standers, who enjoy better facilities, piped in music when one of your players score and an alround x-factor football experience, thats Progress! Maybe certain people in the media (certainly not all) tip the hat to an old ramshackle Fratton Park, a beligerant band of fans who won't lie down and a soon to be lost forever football game day experience :(

As an aside on our return to the championship I have been surprised as to how the atmosphere has deteriated there too, not a lot better than the Premier League nowadays, despite what they tell you!

AFAIK, the myth came about during a televised prem game against Arsenal a few years ago when the team were getting d1cked on the pitch so the fans sat near the cameras decided to sing non-stop instead of watching their team getting a mauling. This gave the impression that all Pompey fans are hugely passionate and will sing their hearts out for the team despite what may be happening on the pitch. Certain aspects of the media picked up on this and perpetuated the idea, and it has since become received wisdom when in fact the reality is somewhat different.

I notice that of the 12 fixtures yesterday ONLY 3 sides had lower gates (watford,qpr & s****horpe) and the CHEATS gate included the approx 2000 that ipswich brought.

By way of an reminder the CHEATS FC are coming up to the 10th anniversary of their league cup game against Blackburn in a couple of weeks time (26th Sept).

I assume the "thickest fans in the world" will remind the media of the attendance figure for that game.

I notice that of the 12 fixtures yesterday ONLY 3 sides had lower gates (watford,qpr & s****horpe) and the CHEATS gate included the approx 2000 that ipswich brought.

By way of an reminder the CHEATS FC are coming up to the 10th anniversary of their league cup game against Blackburn in a couple of weeks time (26th Sept).

I assume the "thickest fans in the world" will remind the media of the attendance figure for that game.

That was a memorable night, i used to fondly remind a skate i used to work with about that attendance when he banged on about their support. Also taking delight in the fact that around that time we got 4 times that for a youth team game at SMS.

Over the last 50 years (ie a reasonable maximum time period for most current supporters) Pompey have averaged 14,326 a game compared to Saints at 20,982.

ie Saints had average crowds almost 50% higher than Pompey

Bear in mind that during this period Pompey had the larger capacity stadium for 42 of the 50 years.

Pompey had 8 seasons with sub 10,000 averages (Saints none)

Saints lowest average 13,263, Pompey 8,269

Pompey had a higher average crowds than Saints in all of 4 during the past 50 seasons

Puts the recent past in to some sort of perspective I think as far a 'loyal' support is concerned

I don't know why you guys are paying so much attention to this..? If Pompey are so insignificant a club, why are you going on about their lack of numbers..? When the pundits mean the support, they are obviously referring to the amount of noise the Blue Few make, not the number through the gates. They are quite loud, due to that megaphone stand at one end.

When the pundits mean the support, they are obviously referring to the amount of noise the Blue Few make, not the number through the gates. They are quite loud, due to that megaphone stand at one end.

This was my understanding of the skates. The Blue few who do turn up make a loud noise and apparently intimidating atmosphere, probably due to the design of their archaic stadium (as was the case at the dell).

But at the same time, when the pundits do praise their support, they never mention the fact that their attendance figures are poor, i wish they would!