QE2 rotting in obscurity ?

Saint in Paradise

Former passengers, employees and enthusiasts of the iconic QE2 ocean liner have contacted Arabian Business

to voice concern that the legendary ship has been left to “rot away”, after new photos appeared online in

recent weeks of the ship still docked in Dubai's Port Rashid.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/qe2-fans-voice-outrage-as-new-images-show-iconic-ship-left-to-rot-in-obscurity-in-dubai-port-572407.html

:mcinnes:

Its just another old ship that we didnt want in this country, so its hard to criticise anyone else.

Yep, we've not bothered to save one of our aircraft carriers as a museum over the years. I am surprised Belfast was saved, to be honest. Cavalier has had a chequered history. Plymouth is off to the breakers yard.

It is a shame when things like the QE2, aircraft carriers, or buildings like Netley Military Hospital are demolished or left to rot away; but, at the end of the day, I suppose, it all boils down to the cost of maintaining these things.

Fundamentally, it’s life’s constant battle against the Second Law of Thermodynamics – entropy, and all that. Eventually, everything turns to ratshit, and the larger the thing is, the more it costs to delay this inexorable process.

Here endeth Halo’s Thought For The Day.

It is a shame when things like the QE2, aircraft carriers, or buildings like Netley Military Hospital are demolished or left to rot away; but, at the end of the day, I suppose, it all boils down to the cost of maintaining these things.

Fundamentally, it’s life’s constant battle against the Second Law of Thermodynamics – entropy, and all that. Eventually, everything turns to ratshit, and the larger the thing is, the more it costs to delay this inexorable process.

Personally I blame my Dad.

He worked on it during one of its refits. Never been the same again :)

But good thought, Halo!

****ing hell, cheers for that lovely thought.

I'd personally love to see the QE2 preserved as a tourist attraction somewhere on Southampton Waters. We have very little that truly celebrates our maritime history and a fully restored QE2 on the quayside, with working restaurants and tours etc. would be great for the city (and unique to us too)

I'd personally love to see the QE2 preserved as a tourist attraction somewhere on Southampton Waters. We have very little that truly celebrates our maritime history and a fully restored QE2 on the quayside, with working restaurants and tours etc. would be great for the city (and unique to us too)

But you're anti-monarchy? ;)

But seriously, you're right - the QE2 would look amazing in Southampton waters as an attraction / hotel / venue etc. She just costs so much to maintain! (The ship that is ... )

Maybe it could be converted into a floating stadium and become our new home!

I would like to comment but I need to continue living here....

In other news. Dubai's Real Estate & Leisure Industry received a major boost when Expo 2020 was awarded to the City. As such we have seen a revival in Construction and the building of many new hotels.

Hopefully, the original plans to use QE2 as an entrance feature to one of the new Hotels here will be dusted off. Unfortunately in modern Cruise Liner & Hotel terms, too many of her original cabins are too small for modern "High Net Worth Tourists" so the cost of turning the cabins into a viable accomodation are too high and could cause structural issues. Meanwhile she's something we pass by and is there to make us long for home