Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Celebs airing their political messages

  1. #1

    Default Celebs airing their political messages

    It does get tiring seeing celebs using their status fr political beliefs across.
    Seems the public in the main dont listen, hence the GE result and Trump getting to power

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    It does get tiring seeing celebs using their status fr political beliefs across.
    Seems the public in the main dont listen, hence the GE result and Trump getting to power
    It's all part of maintaining their public profile. Just because 1,000,000 tone deaf musical illiterates like your regurgitated and sample heavy 'music', or 500,000 couch potatoes sit dumbly watching your 'lowest common denominator' and seriously unfunny comedy game show, does not qualify you to be a socially aware mouthpiece and example to be followed.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,315

    Default

    I saw an interview with a female pop star a few months ago, can't remember who, I think it might have been one of Little Mix. She was talking about the online abuse she was getting from trolls, people commenting on her weight on Instagram etc. Eventually it lead her to a point where she either contemplated or attempted suicide. Her friends and family helped her pull through and things started to improve when one of them suggested she delete her Instagram and Twitter accounts.

    Not wishing to downplay any of the abuse she received but I find it utterly astonishing that some celebs would choose to commit suicide, rather than delete their social media accounts.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

    Not wishing to downplay any of the abuse she received but I find it utterly astonishing that some celebs would choose to commit suicide, rather than delete their social media accounts.
    More astonishing that someone would need to prompt them to do it and they wouldn't think to do it themselves! Not really the right people to be giving political / any advice.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,342
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I saw an interview with a female pop star a few months ago, can't remember who, I think it might have been one of Little Mix. She was talking about the online abuse she was getting from trolls, people commenting on her weight on Instagram etc. Eventually it lead her to a point where she either contemplated or attempted suicide. Her friends and family helped her pull through and things started to improve when one of them suggested she delete her Instagram and Twitter accounts.

    Not wishing to downplay any of the abuse she received but I find it utterly astonishing that some celebs would choose to commit suicide, rather than delete their social media accounts.
    I think it's more to do with the generation that have been brought up on social media. Those who remember what it was like beforehand can on average put things in perspective more and have more of a take it or leave it approach to the likes of Facebook or twitter. I've got a Facebook but I rarely use it other than to update some family a couple of times a year and to buy things on the marketplace.

  6. #6

    Default

    what you lot dont understand if i dont any likes for my posts on Facebook i cant sleep lol

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,342
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    what you lot dont understand if i dont any likes for my posts on Facebook i cant sleep lol
    You laugh but that's actually a thing.

  8. Default

    Sad isn't it, but it does seem social media has that hold on people. Jesy Nelson was the Little Minx referred to above, Caroline Flack and now Billie Eilish burdened by feelings of abuse.
    They used to say "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." That's no longer the case.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,342
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Sad isn't it, but it does seem social media has that hold on people. Jesy Nelson was the Little Minx referred to above, Caroline Flack and now Billie Eilish burdened by feelings of abuse.
    They used to say "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." That's no longer the case.
    It's times like this that I think of the tweet by Tyler the creator:



    I think the social media generation genuinely think there is no alternative to being on certain social media platforms. Its very sad.
    Last edited by hypochondriac; 19-02-2020 at 04:24 PM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Sad isn't it, but it does seem social media has that hold on people. Jesy Nelson was the Little Minx referred to above, Caroline Flack and now Billie Eilish burdened by feelings of abuse.
    They used to say "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." That's no longer the case.
    Don’t know what to make of the Flack situation. I wonder if it ever occurred to her, or was suggested, to delete all her social media, drive up to Keswick and spend a week walking around the Lake District. It’s not a cure but I can’t help but feel a week away from it all, in a rural town where everyone is over 50 and never heard of her, might have given her a chance.

    I doubt there’s a celeb alive or dead who hasn’t been abused on twitter. If you’re going to make yourself an open goal for the whole world, you need to have a thick skin towards pretty much everything.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Sad isn't it, but it does seem social media has that hold on people. Jesy Nelson was the Little Minx referred to above, Caroline Flack and now Billie Eilish burdened by feelings of abuse.
    They used to say "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." That's no longer the case.
    I’m not sure if that was ever the case. On a small scale perhaps but prolonged verbal abuse isn’t good. As for bailing out of social media, makes sense but if all your friends are on it still you are still going to get feedback. Add in seeing yourself plastered all over the tabloids when you walk past a news stand and it must be deeply unpleasant. You shouldn’t have to stop using social media. Online abuse should be dealt with. It has no place in a civilised society.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    12,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    I’m not sure if that was ever the case. On a small scale perhaps but prolonged verbal abuse isn’t good. As for bailing out of social media, makes sense but if all your friends are on it still you are still going to get feedback. Add in seeing yourself plastered all over the tabloids when you walk past a news stand and it must be deeply unpleasant. You shouldn’t have to stop using social media. Online abuse should be dealt with. It has no place in a civilised society.
    We've been here before with, "player X was racially abused on twitter." There's no point in being offended or upset. It sounds silly and easier said than done but social media is an almost borderless, unpoliced free for all, where anyone in the world can say anything to anyone else.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •