Nokia n97

saints_is_the_south

just bought What mobile magazine as just thinking of upgrading and wanted to read some reviews so here is what it says bout the n97:

technology usually moves forward, but in Nokia's top Nseries models seem to have been moving the wrong direction since the N95 8GB The N96 was a chunky brick that didnt bring much to the table. Now Nokia has been upstaged again, this time by samsungs l8910HD. Using a resistive touchscreen and slow processor doesnt help the phone and the keyboard isnt great either. But it does have a decent camera and feels good when used as a phone. it also has a decent battery life, but is that enough for a flagship?

Hope this doesnt bust your bubble!

I`ve got an N97. Very impressed with it. Still getting used to it but nothing bad so far. QWERTY keyboard great for e-mails etc. No problem setting up for e-mail - cetainly easier than the N95. Loads of apps and video quality very good.

Can i set up outlook email on it then? That would be a good help for work.

I`ve got an N97. Very impressed with it. Still getting used to it but nothing bad so far. QWERTY keyboard great for e-mails etc. No problem setting up for e-mail - cetainly easier than the N95. Loads of apps and video quality very good.

No real upgrade to justify the massive price increase though.

Do you have the latest firmware? Nokias can do that sometimes.

True dat. Mine was crashing all the time until I updated it, not doing it so much now.

Still a piece of **** though, the screen is full of dust, opening messages takes aaaaaaaages and the battery life is unbelievable, I have to charge the bastard at least once a frickin day and it can still sometimes just go from full battery bars to dead in a matter of twenty or so minutes.

My first and last, I will never have another Nokia. Piece. Of. ****.

I've got one. Great piece of kit although I've had a couple of problems with the Facebook app not updating and a couple of times all my texts have mysteriously disappeared.

That should be sorted by the firmware update, but I have to wait until Vodafone approve it before I can install it, which is a pain in the arse.

I've got one. Great piece of kit although I've had a couple of problems with the Facebook app not updating and a couple of times all my texts have mysteriously disappeared.

That should be sorted by the firmware update, but I have to wait until Vodafone approve it before I can install it, which is a pain in the arse.

which firmware are you on. I got mine just over a week ago and it was already updated and that was on vodafone. the latest version is 11.0.021. if you have an older one just go to the nokia website and download from there. so far I have had no problems with it

True dat. Mine was crashing all the time until I updated it, not doing it so much now.

Still a piece of **** though, the screen is full of dust, opening messages takes aaaaaaaages and the battery life is unbelievable, I have to charge the bastard at least once a frickin day and it can still sometimes just go from full battery bars to dead in a matter of twenty or so minutes.

My first and last, I will never have another Nokia. Piece. Of. ****.

Sounds like you got a bad one but that's not my experience. What model do you have? Delete the messages in your inbox and that speeds things up a lot

I'm sticking with my Nokia N95 8GB over this one I think. Text input isn't a problem for me, nor do I need 32GB of storage. N95 8GB is the best phone on the market and it has been for a long time now. I think Nokia out did themselves really and they're struggling to better what really was a phone ahead of its times.

I'm sticking with my Nokia N95 8GB over this one I think. Text input isn't a problem for me, nor do I need 32GB of storage. N95 8GB is the best phone on the market and it has been for a long time now. I think Nokia out did themselves really and they're struggling to better what really was a phone ahead of its times.

Agree to a point, but:

The screen is a bit small

The phone is a bit "fat"

Would benefit from a touch screen

Would benefit from a faster processor

Agree to a point, but:

The screen is a bit small

The phone is a bit "fat"

Would benefit from a touch screen

Would benefit from a faster processor

The screen size is perfect for what I need it for. I don't really understand the hype at the moment over touchscreens. I like my N95 8GB because I can do everything quickly pushing physical buttons. I like being able to get on with my day whilst browsing the internet, something that is pretty difficult on devices like the iphone where it is hard to use one handed.

The phone is fat but nokia have never been famed for making beautiful devices. IMO only females care about how the device looks (obviously within reason). For me it's all about what it DOES. Oh and with the latest firmware it's pretty quick.

After owning the N70 and N73, it would take some very very good reviews for me to get another N series Nokia

I used to have the N70 when it first came out. Loved it first time round but then went back to it for a week when I lost my newer charger. It does some rather basic now.

The screen size is perfect for what I need it for. I don't really understand the hype at the moment over touchscreens. I like my N95 8GB because I can do everything quickly pushing physical buttons. I like being able to get on with my day whilst browsing the internet, something that is pretty difficult on devices like the iphone where it is hard to use one handed.

The benefit of a touch screen is purely for web for me. Im more than happy with physical keys (in fact prefer them) for text input, gaming, music videos etc; but the scrolling of webpages (even those setup for WAP access) is pretty crap and owuld be so much better if you could drag it or click easily. How many times do you have to scroll round and round a small hyperlink (say the small '2' on SaintsWeb to go to page 2 of a thread" before you actually hit it?

The phone is fat but nokia have never been famed for making beautiful devices. IMO only females care about how the device looks (obviously within reason). For me it's all about what it DOES. Oh and with the latest firmware it's pretty quick.

Its not about aesthetics, its about the size. It could look like a dog, but if it fitted into a pocket without looking liek you are carrying a half size London Brick I would like it. Dont confuse having a pretty face with having a size that makes the product usable in all situations.

Firmware can only add a certain amount of speed, a fast proc is the only way you cna truely speed the device up.

This mightr sound like Im bashing the N95. Not at all, Im more that happy with it at the moment, but I know that as soon as my contract is up I will be changing the phone to one that has a smaller form factor and a better battery (after 13 months mine has started to need a charge every night).

The benefit of a touch screen is purely for web for me. Im more than happy with physical keys (in fact prefer them) for text input, gaming, music videos etc; but the scrolling of webpages (even those setup for WAP access) is pretty crap and owuld be so much better if you could drag it or click easily. How many times do you have to scroll round and round a small hyperlink (say the small '2' on SaintsWeb to go to page 2 of a thread" before you actually hit it?

Totally agree with this. Web browsing is the only thing I have problems with on the N95 8GB. Sometimes someone will send me a message on gmail with just a . as the subject. I literally, by no means can click on the . to open the email. Perhaps gmail was a bad example, but I've had it on facebook and lots of other websites too. It would be an easy thing for Nokia to fix too. I hate opera mini, so please don't go there. The 5800 was better for web browsing. You could double tap the screen to zoom into the webpage, and double tap again to zoom out which was really nice. However for me, this is the only advantage of a touch screen.

All the other points you have made don't really bother me personally too much. As someone who has tried to get on with a new phone - the N95 8GB is very difficult to get away from.

which firmware are you on. I got mine just over a week ago and it was already updated and that was on vodafone. the latest version is 11.0.021. if you have an older one just go to the nokia website and download from there. so far I have had no problems with it

I've tried downloading it but it says it can't install it as it has to be approved by Vodafone. Just have to keep trying, I guess.

I chose the N86 over the N97 and I love it so far, much better than my N95.

It also piѕѕes over the Samsung Omnia that I had, as touchscreen phones are ѕhit!!

That's good to know; my N95 is ancient now but I just don't fancy anything else that's out there - I wanted to like the N97 but it just didn't do it for me. N86 looks tempting - what's the camera like?

I don't really use the camera and stuff, as all I use my mobile for these days is to call and occaisionally text. It's got an 8 megapixel jobby on it and I just took a picture of my desk and it looks amazing, better than the N95 camera, so if you're going to take pictures of your knob and send it to women like I do then you'll need to get rid of the spots off of it before you snap any pics.

I don't really use the camera and stuff, as all I use my mobile for these days is to call and occaisionally text. It's got an 8 megapixel jobby on it and I just took a picture of my desk and it looks amazing, better than the N95 camera, so if you're going to take pictures of your knob and send it to women like I do then you'll need to get rid of the spots off of it before you snap any pics.

Rule 1. x

Cheers, I'm just popping out for some Clearasil :)

How do i set up a message tone? Want a song i've got on there to be it but can't find out how to do it, managed to set up the ringing tone so far.

Also, i've bluetoothed about 6 songs & 2 pics over from my old phone & now its telling me that i don't have enough memory but when i go to the memory section ive got like 29gb free, anyideas why it wont let me have any more files on there?

Cheers

Why do I feel out of touch going for a Blackberry???

In terms of corporate email compatibility, is the Blackerry the muts nuts?

BlackBerry's rule.

I have the 8900 and love it, not sure there is a BB out there at the moment i haven't tried...........

And yes, it is

How do i set up a message tone? Want a song i've got on there to be it but can't find out how to do it, managed to set up the ringing tone so far.

Also, i've bluetoothed about 6 songs & 2 pics over from my old phone & now its telling me that i don't have enough memory but when i go to the memory section ive got like 29gb free, anyideas why it wont let me have any more files on there?

Cheers

Probably because the songs and pics are being stored on the phone memory rather than the memory card. Go to your messaging then save them to your memory card (E drive) then delete then from messaging. Alternatively set your messages to be saved on the memory card.

Ringtones should be easy. Once the songs are saved to the memory card they should show up under the ringtone selection bit.

Go to Settings > Profiles > Highlight which profile you are using ie General > Options > Personalise

I was thinking the same for the time being!

• 1 month later...