New F1 Car Launches

Arizona

Virgin seem to be having a spot of bother with their "Virtually Designed" car. It seems to have only been virtually built too, with bits dropping off in pit lane yesterday and the front wing assembly dropping off today. With no spares available they have finished testing for the second day, 10 seconds off the pace and with 16 whole laps covered in the two days so far.

Your pilot's license must've been bought off eBay if you think that's an ugly car. Have you not seen the Sauber, the duckbill on the front of the Virgin, the nose camera mess on the Willies or the Le Tissier nose of the chuffing RedBull? There are a lot of ugly cars this year but ours isn't one.

Your pilot's license must've been bought off eBay if you think that's an ugly car. Have you not seen the Sauber, the duckbill on the front of the Virgin, the nose camera mess on the Willies or the Le Tissier nose of the chuffing RedBull? There are a lot of ugly cars this year but ours isn't one.

Way to throw to completely unrelated factors together. :D Besides, it was in a pack of cornflakes.

Not saying the rest are pretty, or that yours is the worst, but only a mother (which I guess could include you) could love that. Why can't you make another R25?

P.S. I think the Virgin and Sauber are two of the better looking cars actually.

Way to throw to completely unrelated factors together. :D Besides, it was in a pack of cornflakes.

Not saying the rest are pretty, or that yours is the worst, but only a mother (which I guess could include you) could love that. Why can't you make another R25?

P.S. I think the Virgin and Sauber are two of the better looking cars actually.

Not really unrelated because I was implying that you must be blind ;)

Besides, if you think those two are among the better looking then we'll always have to disagree on this subject so let's put that behind us right now! :D

Have to agree with Ponty on the Renault. I think it's definately one of the nicer cars this year. My ugly prize is shared between the McLaren and Ferrari at the moment. Despite the fact they appear to be totally useless the Virgin cars are the nicest I've seen so far. Really like the Lotus as well.

They had a very impressive first day, reliability wise. Certainly they've blown the Virgin project into the weeds. However, they don't appear to be very quick (not that Petrov set the world alight today). That said, they're currently running without power steering.

• 2 weeks later...
Has a team ever gone to the first race without any actual testing before?

In 1997 Lola turned up to the curtain raiser in Melbourne, couldn't get within about 10s of the pace in practice and qualy and were never seen again. Couldn't tell you how much testing they had though.

Has a team ever gone to the first race without any actual testing before?

I'm pretty sure that the Gustav Brunner led 2001 Minardi arrived in Australia having only completed a shakedown run (if that..... From what I remember they were completing their second car for Tarso Marques in the garage only the night before first practice.)

It was nowhere near Lola levels of bad, indeed, in the hands of Fernando Alonso it performed some very respectable performances.

In 1997 Lola turned up to the curtain raiser in Melbourne, couldn't get within about 10s of the pace in practice and qualy and were never seen again. Couldn't tell you how much testing they had though.

I believe it had a shakedown run at Santa Pod or something.