New F1 Car Launches

Arizona

It looks like a RB5 nose on a F60 chassis. It also does look rather long but that may be the aspect ratio of the pics.

It's odd to see so much white on a Ferrari though. And that Santander logo really does look like a representation of a steaming turd.

Seen a couple of the Williams pics in testing, their nose looks a bit RB5 aswell. Is this a modification to one of the regs Ponty or is everyone just copying it because it works?

MP4-25 unveiled tomorrow. :D

It's not a regs thing. Good ideas will always be adopted by other teams IF it works on their own car.

Something interesting is that the USF1 car is going to feature a transverse gearbox and every other box on the grid will be longitudinal. That will allow the USF1 car to be shorter, which will make it more stable through the corners, theoretically. I wonder how many transverse gearboxes will then feature in 2011.

Where have you seen a 2010 Williams then? There haven't been any tests yet.

****ing hell, that rear end is tiny!

If the engine has got any grunt then that should go well, it's just so compact. Not sure I agree about the nose though. It doesn't look RB5 to me but that might just be the white stripe.

It reminds me of the flat, duck billed looking thing they ran at Silverstone in particular. Can't remember if they used different noses at other races.

****ing hell, that rear end is tiny!

If the engine has got any grunt then that should go well, it's just so compact. Not sure I agree about the nose though. It doesn't look RB5 to me but that might just be the white stripe.

Williams have been pretty canny with their engine choice, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do well this season.

Swap the red bits for white bits, lose the bloody awful fin thing on the air intake and I reckon it would be a nice car.

It looks like something Jordan came up with whilst drunk.

Here's the new McLaren by the way. Nice apart from the sidepods.

144132.jpg

Wow. That McLaren hit a few branches on it's fall from the ugly tree! What is that fin thing all about? And that nose cone! Dear oh dear... Hope it goes better than it looks!

I does rather look like the front has been designed as a tribute to baron von Richthofen's triplane.

Wow. That McLaren hit a few branches on it's fall from the ugly tree! What is that fin thing all about? And that nose cone! Dear oh dear... Hope it goes better than it looks!

With you 100% on this, ugly car all round. And please can we get back to not having comically oversized front wings (or whatever they are called).

Ponty - Have you ever sat in one of the latest breed of F1 cars? I'm intrigued to know what the driving position is like. All the cars have these really high front sections to the monocoque now and surely the pedals must be higher than your arse? Must be very odd!

No mate, I'm 6'4" for a start, but you're right, your arse is lower than the pedals in them.

It's not a regs thing. Good ideas will always be adopted by other teams IF it works on their own car.

Something interesting is that the USF1 car is going to feature a transverse gearbox and every other box on the grid will be longitudinal. That will allow the USF1 car to be shorter, which will make it more stable through the corners, theoretically. I wonder how many transverse gearboxes will then feature in 2011.

Where have you seen a 2010 Williams then? There haven't been any tests yet.

Teams use longditudal boxes because they are very narrow and allow the aero package to work better, not sure how the transverse will work with that. I don't think you'll find any of the established teams starting to copy the new comers, will be interesting to see how far off the pace they are. Especially as the Virgin team have not used a wind tunnel its all been done by CFD.

No mate, I'm 6'4" for a start, but you're right, your arse is lower than the pedals in them.

Going back a fair few years but I went to the Arrows factory open day the season Damon HIll joined them and got to sit in one of the cars. I'm 6'4 as well but I got in OK, although I don't remember any pedals being fitted so thats probably why. I remember it was a really comfortable postition, almost like laying in the bath with your feet on the taps, although my knees were jammed together so tightit nearly cut off circulation! I'm guessing the driving position hasn't changed hugely with time? I always thought the idea was to get the drivers weight as low as possible?

Damon Hill is the coolest man alive.

Just wanted to share that with you all.

So, are USF1 actually going to make it? Ponty have you heard anything?

Nope, nothing. Yet to see much in the way of evidence of a car out there in the US of A.