Apple tablet live!

sotonjoe

Why would anyone buy this? It's like a smartphone but too big to carry round. nothing special, just seems to be an oversized iPhone. Also the keyboard is gonna be uncomfortable, your hands won't stretch round it so you can't really sit down with it and type loads. Where is its market? Who is going to buy this over a smartphone or laptop? Because I don't understand why anyone would buy it AS WELL as a laptop/smartphone.

Think I will wait for one of the android based equivalents that will almost certainly do more functionally including, most likely, such luxuries as usb sockets and removable batteries.

Also unconvinced about it being a ebook reader. I thought the hype around e-paper was that it avoided the eye strain of looking at backlit lcd over a long period?

Personally, as I have a fair number of computer books in PDF format and often having to download and read other documents I think the tablet shaped thing that I am most likely to buy will be the Asus DR950 (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/18/asus-dr-950-9-inch-touchscreen-e-reader-brings-text-to-speech-an/) which looks like just the right size for what I need.

---

Forgot to say that the one advantage of the ipad is you can probably do a great updated Dom Joly impersonation by wandering around with pressing it to your ear and shouting 'IM ON MY IPHONE'.

domJoly_1431416c.jpg

Edited by pedg

It's not what this current one will do, but what it can do in the future. Look up the Microsoft Surface on Google images and on their own website to see what I mean.

A table sized touch screen interface, much like you'd see on CSI or Star Trek etc.

Family usage could include board games, photos, music system, video calling - endless features in fact.

So while the iPad is an amazing bit of kit in it's own right and many WILL be sold make no mistake, it's just the start of a whole host of touch screen accessories, like coffee tables, affordable finger print recognition devices at home and so on ...

Its a shame that there is nothing innovative about the iPad. Apple will sell loads to people who will always buy Apples new stuff. Personally I would prefer something like the Lenovo U1 that is a laptop but the screen detaches to become a separate tablet. It will run Windows 7 so it has much more flexibility than the iPad.

Apple did the same with the iPhone though - version 1 was nothing spectacular but people bought it. The problem with the iPad though is that people won't get a free upgrade after 18months - 2 years like with the iPhone. They will have to fork out for every new version and all they will get is 1 or 2 new features that Apple could have put in version 1.

well flash won't be a big deal in the coming year as html5 will gradually filter through. I already use the html5 version of youtube that is in beta. Multitasking for me is the big issues. I want to be able to keep skype open while I go and check my calendar or email.

The general consensus from friends and family is:

People who work in IT-esque jobs have mainly laughed

Women like it more than men

Trend-followers are lapping it up

People with kids would worry about it being broken

Older generations cant see the point

Youth cant see the point

You wonder of Jobs saw it as a bit of a challenge. Others, notably microsoft, have had a go a tablets and each attempt has failed. To me it does not look like that run will be broken. I am sure they will probably sell more that the microsoft tablets sold but I am not sure the market for 'something on your lap while sitting on the sofa' which it appears the ipad is aimed at is large enough an ecosystem to support its own form factor.

Edited by pedg