Passes going backwards.

Dogs

It was very annoying when the fans got on the back of players for passing the ball backwards in my opinion.

The alternative is to just lump it up top and we'd probably lose the ball by doing that.

You need to be patient and wait for an opening, just look at Arsenal's goal at the weekend against Blackburn.

People keep on about the good football but in WGS SPEAK"IT IS SHOWBOAT FOOTBALL" lots of square passing which has no end product.

It may be pleasant on the eye but crowds will return to watch a winning team not because they look good

The ball can go back or square but the mark of a good side is how they pass in the other teams half, picking the killer pass is the art not laying it square to James, who gives it to Perry, who gives it to Gillet, who gives it to Surman , who gives it to Cork , who gives it to Gillett , who passes it to McGoldrick ( insert any name of an advance player) who loses it and puts us back under pressure.

It was very annoying when the fans got on the back of players for passing the ball backwards in my opinion.

The alternative is to just lump it up top and we'd probably lose the ball by doing that.

You need to be patient and wait for an opening, just look at Arsenal's goal at the weekend against Blackburn.

The other option is to turn and pass the ball out wide to the player in space running down the wing. McGoldrick was at fault several times.

The other option is to turn and pass the ball out wide to the player in space running down the wing. McGoldrick was at fault several times.

Two different things, surely. In the games I've attended this season, I've been impressed by the fact that we've generally played in a patient manner, keeping hold of the ball and waiting for an opportunity for a telling pass forward. If this means playing it around the pitch, square and back, then that's fine - I'd far prefer to see that than watch a hopeful hoof forward which is headed away by the opposition. And it's clearly our game plan to play that way.

WG's comment concerns execution of the game plan - there were plenty of times last night when players failed to spot a good passing opportunity, for example. But that shouldn't be taken to mean that the entire game plan is at fault. We can - and I hope we will - improve in this area.

Funny we should be discussing this when Magilton was the best sideways / back passer ever to wear a Saints shirt. It's all about keeping possession and if you can't penetrate, moving back and starting the move again often works. I did hold my head in my hands last night when they went back and THEN lost possession. Not too smart. But I still say there is a system here that the young players are learning and after the equaliser, the confidence just vapourised for half and hour or so. I just hope JP can lift them back up for Saturday.

passing backwards is done to guarantee higher posession and as long as we keep the ball the rival will not be able to score. Passing backwards is done to keep playing and opening spaces and making the rival to go forward and ignore the spaces they are leaving behind when they come closer to make pressure in our defenders who are "playing the ball and passing waiting for them to come".

If you have the chance to watch Guardiola's Barcelona next month, have a look that's what they have done in the last 20 years adopting the Dutch style. It makes nicer football and if we have the ball.... it's the others who have to come and try to steal the ball from us. If they can't or don't dare... it's them who don't want to play football.

It's important to keep ball posession especially after scoring the first goal against the rival. Passing backwards it is done in the top clubs in la Liga. Some average clubs with defenders who have no clue about playing the ball with short pass are keen to shoot long enough as to expect for somebody to take the ball and score. Total football is exciting football but it requires the right players and mentality to get it played. Keep the possesion if your players are good enough as to play the ball on the grass and not looking at the grass!! The team is training the concept and it'll take some time till we see the reward of the training and minded style. I personally believe we will see good results and we will be satisfied at the end of the season. I am excited hearing everyone loves the football the lads are playing this season. I cannot wait to see that.

passing backwards is done to guarantee higher posession and as long as we keep the ball the rival will not be able to score. Passing backwards is done to keep playing and opening spaces and making the rival to go forward and ignore the spaces they are leaving behind when they come closer to make pressure in our defenders who are "playing the ball and passing waiting for them to come".

If you have the chance to watch Guardiola's Barcelona next month, have a look that's what they have done in the last 20 years adopting the Dutch style. It makes nicer football and if we have the ball.... it's the others who have to come and try to steal the ball from us. If they can't or don't dare... it's them who don't want to play football.

It's important to keep ball posession especially after scoring the first goal against the rival. Passing backwards it is done in the top clubs in la Liga. Some average clubs with defenders who have no clue about playing the ball with short pass are keen to shoot long enough as to expect for somebody to take the ball and score. Total football is exciting football but it requires the right players and mentality to get it played. Keep the possesion if your players are good enough as to play the ball on the grass and not looking at the grass!! The team is training the concept and it'll take some time till we see the reward of the training and minded style. I personally believe we will see good results and we will be satisfied at the end of the season. I am excited hearing everyone loves the football the lads are playing this season. I cannot wait to see that.

Well put.

Wow! You are really in dreamland Javi! Comparing us with Barcelona! Were you there? Total football my arse, bloody clueless football in my view. Lightweight in defence and attack, lots of pointless possession play! We are that desperate that the crowd were cheering even when we lost the ball BEFORE getting the ball in the penalty box . Frankly it was pathetic! Ipswich had 17 attempts 13 on target - we were lucky not to have been thrashed! Forget total football, forget Barcelona, WAKE UP TO REALITY!!!!

So beautiful an ideology.........stamped on by big ugly boys unfortunately!!

Wow! Comparing us with Barcelona!

We have been playing good games but results did not come with the performance. Last game could have been very different to the previous games we played. I was not there apart from Claus's game but friends keep informing me what they think and I watch Saints tv that shows something else than just a minute. So far everyone says we are playing better than last season under Burley or Pearson. That's a step forward already, isnt' it? I look forward to taking a plane next month and have a better look.

No intention to compare us to Barcelona.... but one day! ;-) If I tell you about the way Atletico de Madrid (or other average clubs) are playing now you may not have not watched a lot yet so Barcelona (or Spain) was perhaps the easiest team to mention to compare to the total football concept that Jan is putting in the club. I never had intention to compare both teams:? but the football philosophy we try to adopt which is better football than the long ball style.

And as I said....Total football requires the right players and mentality to get it played. Keep the possesion if the players are good enough as to play the ball on the grass but not looking at the grass!! The team is training the new concept and it'll take some time till we see the reward of the training and minded style.

Lightweight in defence and attack, lots of pointless possession play!

What do you want us to be? Barcelona team and play fantastic and make the fans fill the stadium every week? me too.... but we are Southampton FC and starting a new system and trying to survive with a 20m debt (St Mary's stadium mortage). But we played like Barcelona in the past and one day... we will do again.:) And I get so dissapointed as you do when we lose or play rubbish but I am confident with the season.

Back passing is ok in moderation, as long as the pass goes to us and not to the opposition. Its passing to the other team that is the problem, and continues to be our achilles heel, we give the ball away far too often.

Too true!

We need to mix the game up a bit or we become too easy to read as happended v Ipswich as they closed us down higher up the pitch. Peckhart does give us a long ball option to keep them guessing I am no fan of route one football though and quite enjoy a lot of seasoned pros chasing after kids for the ball as per Derby and Birmingham in the CC. We have schooled these kids to play a passing game lets not bottle out and go all Wimbledon (1980s) or Stoke last year. All they need is the experience they are now getting. This will get better.........;)

Back passing is ok in moderation, as long as the pass goes to us and not to the opposition. Its passing to the other team that is the problem, and continues to be our achilles heel, we give the ball away far too often.

It's not a problem. As i've said on another thread it surprised me how many passes were going astray the other night...it surprised me because that is not how it has been for the majority of the season...

I went looking on the Actim site but couldn't find any info on pass completion rates...but did find this quote

Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana is the current Championship ‘pass master’ with 108 completed passes in the opposition half. Despite his side’s defeat to QPR, Lallana was named in the team of the week with 31 points from the match, and is nine passes ahead of Nottingham Forest’s French midfielder Guy Moussi in the battle to become the Cesc Fabregas of the Championship this season.

And in answer to the main point...i love to see us pass the ball anywhere on the field and keeping the ball...

----------------------------

I'd suggest that perhaps those that crave this direct style have disatisfied sexual partners

Wham bam thank you mam...