US shows

Johnny Shearer

My friend (who knows about these things), says the last two episodes are utterly devastating. I'm an emotional cripple as it is. I'm not sure I can handle this.

I was watching the last episode with a couple of mates, and I had to summon up as many manly thoughts (explosions, John Wayne, ninjas on fire etc) to stop myself from blubbing like a girl and compromising my masculinity.

I'm sure its better than 99% of stuff on American telly, and it’s a big influence on the look and feel of the Bourne films which I love, but I thought The Shield was rubbish. Then again I watched season 1 just after finishing The Wire. You're right that it’s a mugs game to compare it to The Wire, but the problem I had was that I couldn't stop comparing it to Police Cops, the generic cop show on the Simpsons with detective Homer Simpson (that’s the end of that chapter, etc). I'm glad you guys are loving it but I just couldn't watch it without laughing.

I can't recommend Battlestar Galatica enough. Don't bother with the dull pilot mini-series and just plunge headlong into season one which is a liberal version of 24, all frantic non-stop action and rollicking good fun. But then over the next four seasons it grows into something very special - I've heard people call it The Wire in space - but unlike The Wire this was a very popular prime-time network show, which nevertheless had the balls to address all the big taboos in American society - race, class, religion, abortion, militarism, terrorism - in a very grown up and non-hysterical way. Some of the CGI is a bit iffy and they play frankly terrible Oirish pipe muisc over all the big meaningful father-son scenes, but apart from these few quibbles it rocked my geeky sci-fi world. And Gaius Balthar is one of the greatest tv characters ever!

Deadwood was great but got cancelled just as it was about to finally fire its load. I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing Lovejoy saying 'c*cksucker or c*nt'

Mad Men is another fave of mine, which is essentially a very classy soap opera for men. Series two was very understated but I like the way it doesn't feel the need to be overly melodramatic.

Next up for me on the old DVD binge-athon is either going to be Dexter or Breaking Bad, both of which are mean't to be ace (do kids still say ace?).

Dexter Season 4 is about halfway through here. And it's still very good.

Just started the new 'V' sci-fi series last week. (Anyone remember the 80's original version?) Not sure if it's going to be any good yet.

Unfortunately Curb Your Enthusiasm is just going through the motions now. Hasn't been 'great' for a couple of seasons, but they have got Jerry Seinfeld as a regular this season which is a bit better.

The reveal in the original version still gives me the shivers. Maybe I shouldn't have watched it as a 7/8 year old!

Will def check the new version out though.

Peeps may find this interesting, The Onion's guide to the best TV of the late 20th/early 21st Century, most of which is American.

The Onion rules, and its Audio/Visual section is one of the most trustworthy around, even the inane bickering on the forum section is good for a laugh.

Soem in there which I may take a gander at.

Friday Night Lights I've heard about for ages but its never on or I cant find it on any of the channels on Sky.

I'm sure its better than 99% of stuff on American telly, and it’s a big influence on the look and feel of the Bourne films which I love, but I thought The Shield was rubbish. Then again I watched season 1 just after finishing The Wire. You're right that it’s a mugs game to compare it to The Wire, but the problem I had was that I couldn't stop comparing it to Police Cops, the generic cop show on the Simpsons with detective Homer Simpson (that’s the end of that chapter, etc). I'm glad you guys are loving it but I just couldn't watch it without laughing.

I can't recommend Battlestar Galatica enough. Don't bother with the dull pilot mini-series and just plunge headlong into season one which is a liberal version of 24, all frantic non-stop action and rollicking good fun. But then over the next four seasons it grows into something very special - I've heard people call it The Wire in space - but unlike The Wire this was a very popular prime-time network show, which nevertheless had the balls to address all the big taboos in American society - race, class, religion, abortion, militarism, terrorism - in a very grown up and non-hysterical way. Some of the CGI is a bit iffy and they play frankly terrible Oirish pipe muisc over all the big meaningful father-son scenes, but apart from these few quibbles it rocked my geeky sci-fi world. And Gaius Balthar is one of the greatest tv characters ever!

Deadwood was great but got cancelled just as it was about to finally fire its load. I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing Lovejoy saying 'c*cksucker or c*nt'

Mad Men is another fave of mine, which is essentially a very classy soap opera for men. Series two was very understated but I like the way it doesn't feel the need to be overly melodramatic.

Next up for me on the old DVD binge-athon is either going to be Dexter or Breaking Bad, both of which are mean't to be ace (do kids still say ace?).

Not being a massive "Cop Drama" fan, I drop in on occassional episodes of CSI somewhereelsethisweek, but

Battlestar - a truly great TV series, had a bit of everything, 24 style continuity, action, great effects for a TV show, even had a form of spiritual feel to it. And boy, did Xena Warrior Princess grow up well.

Much enjoyed, went a little flat and original V ish when they first hit New Caprica but after that it just kept hitting hit the spot.

On a trip back three or so years ago, I found a boxed set in a remainder bin at HMV of a series I had never heard of, sat down watched it twice straight through, as did my kids, and mates - Josh Wheedon's Firefly.

What a waste that was, so close to a great off-beat sci-fi series and it was canned.

The reveal in the original version still gives me the shivers. Maybe I shouldn't have watched it as a 7/8 year old!

Will def check the new version out though.

I was about 10 when the original was aired and it was scary. They just showed both the original series as a build up for the new version. The second season they aired was utter crap compared to the first - and much lower budget too - the aliens didn't even speak funny.

Just seen the second episode from the new series. It might be pretty good actually. Has Juliette from Lost and the yummy bird who played the 'space prostitute' in Firefly (another good series) if you ever saw that.

• 2 months later...

What has happened to Fringe on Sky 1? :confused: And also Flash Forward on Five? Anyone know?

Both were in mid season just before Christmas and neither have returned. I thought it was only a break during Christmas but now 24 is back on a Sunday night so looks like Fringe has either moved to another day or it's not coming back.:(

Happy to see the return of Jack Bauer though.

• 1 month later...