US shows

Johnny Shearer

Eerie, Indiana is getting good. I can't wait for the next series to see what happens to Marshall and Simon.

'Eerie, Indiana' - sounds like where I live.

Never heard of this program though - will have to check it out. Do you know if it's actually filmed in Indiana?

If you see lots of corn & soy fields, then it most probably is.

'Eerie, Indiana'

That was a great programme, a kind of Twin Peaks for kids. I watched a few episodes on some torrent site a few months ago and it still looks pretty good.

I've just finished season three of The Wire and its still ridiculously brilliant. Its getting more overtly political as it goes on (just as the US were getting bogged down in Iraq). Special mention goes to Method Man for his portrayal of a reformed gangster struggling to open a boxing club to give some of the young 'uns discipline and respect.

Once I finish all five seasons I'm moving onto Generation Kill!, written by the same guy as The Wire but this time its everyday life in Iraq for US troops. And its meant to be even better than The Wire!

That was a great programme, a kind of Twin Peaks for kids. I watched a few episodes on some torrent site a few months ago and it still looks pretty good

Once I finish all five seasons I'm moving onto Generation Kill!, written by the same guy as The Wire but this time its everyday life in Iraq for US troops. And its meant to be even better than The Wire!

I just finished Generation Kill a week or two ago, thought it was a cracking series.

Santa brought me Eerie Indiana for Christmas but I've only watched a couple of episodes so far, the things you watched as a kid are never as good once you watch them again.

I'm currently working my way through True Blood, which is ridiculous but still very very watchable.

No, Cheese is Method Man, Prop Joe's nephew. Cutty is the ex-boxer.

my bad. well, Cutty was still awesome. that whole subplot was very reminiscing of 24/7 by shane meadows but that time was bob hoskins trying to reform kids on the streets of nottingham. ace film.

fave moment in season 3, the brief glimpse we catch of a certain ball-busting member of the top brass, enjoying a drink, at the gay bar.

I've gotta say, even though the wire is more consistently great than the soprano's, when the soprano's is really on fire, there's still nothing that can beat it. the last episode of season 2 (the fishing trip with pussy) and episode 3 of season 3 (the bloodiest and slipperiest hit you'll ever see) are still the best two hours of tv I've ever seen.

I've just got a couple of episodes of season 4 of The Wire to go and its still utterly brilliant. What began as a superlative police drama has expanded into something far far greater, covering unions, production, politics and education, each of them essentially being an extention of 'the game' played by the gangs and the police in Baltimore's poorest districts. It’s a portryal of America as an empire in a slow but terminal decline, as Pres coldly stated, 'no one wins, its just that one side looses more slowly than the other'. And if its taught me anything, its how to sell smack on a street corner, aight?

Just one season left, and then the post-wire emptyness.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

i am liking the wire..just got season 2 and seen the first two episodes...takes a few episodes to get going but like it very much

Yeah, the start of season two is a bit of a slow burner but it all comes together brilliantly by the end. The union boss develops into a fascinating character, a spokesperson, neigh, icon, for a generation appalled by America's transformation into a post-industry society.

Getting a different act to sing the theme tune for each season is a master-stroke, most people think Tom Waits's version in season 2 is the best.

Yeah, the start of season two is a bit of a slow burner but it all comes together brilliantly by the end. The union boss develops into a fascinating character, a spokesperson, neigh, icon, for a generation appalled by America's transformation into a post-industry society.

Getting a different act to sing the theme tune for each season is a master-stroke, most people think Tom Waits's version in season 2 is the best.

just finished season 2 and see what you mean about the union guy....and how "post-industry" new america dumped on him...

this is brilliant..

the makers of this have done something similar on the Iraq war..cant remember what it is called..

just finished season 2 and see what you mean about the union guy....and how "post-industry" new america dumped on him...

this is brilliant..

the makers of this have done something similar on the Iraq war..cant remember what it is called..

Generation Kill. Like The Wire, it is only being shown on FX, so it's gonna have to be a DVD job for me.

there's that great line, 'we used to make things in this country, now we've just got our hand in the next guy's pocket'. That theme runs through the whole thing, as does Pres's comment in season 4, 'no one wins, its just that one side looses more slowly than the other', this should be the motto for America's war on drugs and war on terror, or what ever its called now (the fluffy kitten's tea-party?).

the good news is that seasons 3,4 and 5 are just as great.

tonight is a sad but exciting night for me, i'm watching the last two episodes of season 5.

Agree there. This is the only USA sitcom I've ever been able to handle.

Despite it's potentially awful title 'Two & A Half Men' is bloody good.

It's pretty near the knuckle for when it gets shown here as well (7pm). Plenty of fart gags, wan**** jokes and any amount of sh***ging inuendo (subtle and not-so...)

Is this on in the UK now then? What time & channel?

It has been on (I think) Channel 5 but is on Paramount Comedy all of the time! I never get fed up with watching it - even the old episodes that I have seen 3 or 4 times.

Have also been watching the superb "John Adams". The story of the second President of the USA. Produced by , amongst others, Tom Hanks.

am half way through season 5 of the wire..brilliant..the producers of this show go to town on the wrongs of america..

the homless killings - feeding the masses with what they want to hear

homeless people - exploiting the weak and defenceless

the war vet - showing how service people are dumped on

the cutbacks

the lies

all very very clever.....

all very very clever.....

damn straight. i'm watching the shield at the moment as several people have said its as good as the wire, buts its not, nowhere near.

season 5 is great. there's a hilarious scene toward the end involving a certain irish cop and the feds who are building up a psychological profile on the 'serial killer'. but i shan't spoil it for you.

the main thing that gives me faith in Obama is that the wire is his favorite tv show ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I finished the Wire I've had a gaping hole in my life. I tried to fill it with The Shield but that was gash. Thank God for Mad Men and Flight of the Conchords, both on HBO.

Mad Men is bascially a period drama set in the booming world of advertising in the 1960s. Everyone smokes and drinks therir way through each working day, maybe pausing to molest their secretary and have a mild heart attack before lunch. Its classic 'American-Dream-turned-sour' stuff, and two episodes into season 2, its showing signs of maturing into something with a lot to say about the current mess we're in.

Flight of the Conchords season 2 has been a bit of a mixed bag so far. Episode 1 was something of a disappointment but since then its been more hit than miss in their mix of office-style deadpan humour and boosh style sillyness. Bret and Jermaine have admitted that writing 20 new songs for season 2 nearly killed them (they've already said they won't be doing this again) and a few of them sound tossed off, but these two are pretty good -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtbQaJzZh1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoM3gz02zIE&feature=related

• 8 months later...

Not many of the new shows are that good.

NCIS: LA has LL Cool J in it and Chris O'Donnell. Gave it a go but wasn't upto scratch.

All these new vampire shows just look naff but thankfully Bones is back on. This is quality show.

May give the new Battlestar prequel show a chance as well and see how that pans out.

Since I finished the Wire I've had a gaping hole in my life. I tried to fill it with The Shield but that was gash. Thank God for Mad Men and Flight of the Conchords, both on HBO.

Mad Men is bascially a period drama set in the booming world of advertising in the 1960s. Everyone smokes and drinks therir way through each working day, maybe pausing to molest their secretary and have a mild heart attack before lunch. Its classic 'American-Dream-turned-sour' stuff, and two episodes into season 2, its showing signs of maturing into something with a lot to say about the current mess we're in.

Flight of the Conchords season 2 has been a bit of a mixed bag so far. Episode 1 was something of a disappointment but since then its been more hit than miss in their mix of office-style deadpan humour and boosh style sillyness. Bret and Jermaine have admitted that writing 20 new songs for season 2 nearly killed them (they've already said they won't be doing this again) and a few of them sound tossed off, but these two are pretty good -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtbQaJzZh1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoM3gz02zIE&feature=related

Very funny, only just recently caught this and love it. Humour is so understated on there.

Not many of the new shows are that good.

NCIS: LA has LL Cool J in it and Chris O'Donnell. Gave it a go but wasn't upto scratch.

All these new vampire shows just look naff but thankfully Bones is back on. This is quality show.

May give the new Battlestar prequel show a chance as well and see how that pans out.

Have you tried Burn Notice on FX? It's into it's second series but is very watchable. Agree about NCIS:LA it's too comedic and the short old bird is just dire, what happened to Louise Lombard?

Have you tried Burn Notice on FX? It's into it's second series but is very watchable. Agree about NCIS:LA it's too comedic and the short old bird is just dire, what happened to Louise Lombard?

Have read about Burn Notice does sound like an interesting premise. Will have to catch it at some point.

Ha ha, yep I read a review on NCIS: LA and the critic absolutely loved the short bird saying she was excellent actress. Not so great in my view. Sorry not sure who Louise Lombard is!

More4 is showing Hung which isn't too bad.

I just want Dexter season 3 to start up again. Its already finished in the US I think!

Dexter Season 4 is about halfway through here. And it's still very good.

Just started the new 'V' sci-fi series last week. (Anyone remember the 80's original version?) Not sure if it's going to be any good yet.

Unfortunately Curb Your Enthusiasm is just going through the motions now. Hasn't been 'great' for a couple of seasons, but they have got Jerry Seinfeld as a regular this season which is a bit better.

Dexter Season 4 is about halfway through here. And it's still very good.

Just started the new 'V' sci-fi series last week. (Anyone remember the 80's original version?) Not sure if it's going to be any good yet.

Unfortunately Curb Your Enthusiasm is just going through the motions now. Hasn't been 'great' for a couple of seasons, but they have got Jerry Seinfeld as a regular this season which is a bit better.

I love dexter. The newest series is brilliant at the moment.

Am I the only one who likes House?

Nope.

OK so it's formulaic but it's just so well acted by HL

Saw the double length opening to season 6 while in the US, was excellent. But won't be on here for at least another year

We have to watch much of our stuff on DVD's we either get brought over or collect on trips to Asia.

Halfway through Season 3 of Dexter at the moment, then back to Californication

Have just started watching the West Wing,i wasn't that interested in it the first time round but just got the complete box set cheap.I am just starting season 3 and have to say this show is great good story lines and you can see really high production values.

Also waiting for the second season of Sons of Anarchy to start got well into the 1st season.

The Wire has been covered in plenty of detail on here, and for my money it is the daddy in terms of US television drama. But I would also heartily recommend the following:

The Shield: Cannot be compared to the Wire; comparing the two would be like comparing ballet to slam dancing. The Shield is a much more fast moving, yet no less complex study of crooked cops in a fictional Los Angeles suburb. As the series progresses, the main, anti-hero characters all get dragged deeper and deeper into their own web of lies, and the show finale episode has to be one of the most profoundly moving television episodes I have ever seen.

Sons Of Anarchy: from Kurt Sutter, who was also involved in the Shield, this follows an outlaw motorcycle gang and features Ron Perlman and Katey Sagal, amongst others. Said to be loosely based around Shakespeare's Hamlet, it is highly watchable, and I am looking forward to seeing the second series soon (it is already airing in the states, lucky sods) after a gripping finale to the first.

Homicide: Life On The Street - the first six seasons of this laid the foundations for what David Simon created with The Wire. Following the Homicide unit of Baltimore PD, and based around Simon's superb book "Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets", it was a landmark series that married gritty realism, proper, grown up dialogue and intense characterisation to the cop drama genre. It went a bit crap from season 6 onward, mainly because they got rid of some of the most loved characters and tried to replace them with eye candy. Oh and get the Region 1 boxsets, as the R2 ones are gash with all the episodes out of order!

The Corner - more David Simon/Ed Burns related stuff, this one based upon their book of the same name which tracked a year in the life on a Baltimore drug corner. This HBO miniseries is superbly done, features a lot of themes that would go on to appear in the Wire, as well as many of the actors. Now available on region 2, snap it up if you are a fan of the Wire and all things Bodymore related.

Oz - HBO's first big name hourly long episode based drama, this is essentially a brutally violent, increasingly more ridiculous male driven soap opera set in a prison. If you don't mind the occasional rape, murder or ludicrous celebrity guest appearance, Oz is extremely addictive.

Masters Of Horror - MOH was a hit and miss horror anthology series created by long time Stephen King alumnus Mick Garris, and featuring numerous unrelated horror tales directed by well known horror icons. Some episodes are pretty poor, but when they nailed it, they nailed it. Standouts for me were Dario Argento's "Jenifer", Don Coscarelli's "Incident On And Off A Mountain Road" John Landis' "Family" and the excellent John Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns". Well worth a look and the two seasons are pretty cheap in places like CEX.

Cool beans Deppo. You will love it, I would stick my neck out and say that series 7 of the Shield is actually superior to the final series of The Wire. Vic Mackey is amazing, one of the best characters in telly history. Wait until Glenn Close and Forest Whitaker turn up too - Whitaker was off the chain incredible in his role as the deranged IAD officer.

Sorry not sure who Louise Lombard is!

She's the english actress who played a cop in the later series of the Original CSI,

csi5.jpg

when NCIS:LA first popped up it was in an episode of regular NCIS and she played the boss in LA and their was friction and history between her and Gibbs. (God i'm becoming a geek!) This is the only reason to watch NCIS:LA

daniela-ruah-l.jpg

Cool beans Deppo. You will love it, I would stick my neck out and say that series 7 of the Shield is actually superior to the final series of The Wire. Vic Mackey is amazing, one of the best characters in telly history. Wait until Glenn Close and Forest Whitaker turn up too - Whitaker was off the chain incredible in his role as the deranged IAD officer.

My friend (who knows about these things), says the last two episodes are utterly devastating. I'm an emotional cripple as it is. I'm not sure I can handle this.